The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Does anyone else do this?

I have an app on my phone that lets me slow down the speed of songs that I listen to. I decided to listen to my Charlie Parker Omnibook playlist at 80%-90% speed (depending on the song) of the original recording and find it sometimes more enjoyable than listening to the song at full speed.

I actually get to hear all the notes and lines instead of them just whizzing by.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Amazing Slow Downer is available for iphone and android...

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    I am using Maple Player JB on my Android phone to slow down tracks. It works just like a regular media player.

User Info Menu

I slow music down to catch more of what's going on, but I like on YouTube you can slowdown or speed up the video. I find listening to long vlogs like Rick Beato and others long talks I can save time listening speed up, then can drop speed if something I want to focus on more.

I use Transcribe software, VLC, and YouTube speed controls depending on what device I'm on.

User Info Menu

i always had cd players with speed control...gave you about 12%+ or -

good for playing along with cds that were mastered at the incorrect speed...fairly common!!..the original kind of blue cd was improperly speed mastered!

audacity computer recording program was great too..you could speed or slow up... with correct pitch!!

cheers

ps- i always like listening to music a little slowed..especially music i know very well..gives a fresh perspective

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    I love ASD for those fast lines and it does help. Some stuff slowed down comes out garbled but as a tool ASD is pretty decent.

User Info Menu

I use Reaper. First tried some slow down apps, trial versions/etc.. but the sound was usually worse than I'd like.
    Finally just went to see if Reaper (which I already was using for DAW) would do it, and for my purpose it was the best fit.
    John

User Info Menu

I use iRehearse on my Mac. Seems there are two apps with the same name out there? This is the one I use:
    iRehearse - Slow down and change pitch of music

It lets you change speed and pitch (for tuning) - loads any mp3 and other formats. You can also select a certain section of the song to loop it, but that is a little hard to do rhythmically! Still, for $10ish bucks US, a great deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john_a
    I use Reaper. First tried some slow down apps, trial versions/etc.. but the sound was usually worse than I'd like.
    Finally just went to see if Reaper (which I already was using for DAW) would do it, and for my purpose it was the best fit.
    John
    Reaper is perfect for this (well, if you aren't tied to using a phone). It's also an excellent tool for transcribing. Oh, and BTW - it's completely free.

User Info Menu

Yup, for Eric dolphy and holdsworth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geese_com
    Does anyone else do this?

I have an app on my phone that lets me slow down the speed of songs that I listen to. I decided to listen to my Charlie Parker Omnibook playlist at 80%-90% speed (depending on the song) of the original recording and find it sometimes more enjoyable than listening to the song at full speed.

I actually get to hear all the notes and lines instead of them just whizzing by.
    Conversely, if you speed up a Lester Young recording, it sounds like Charlie Parker.

User Info Menu

I never "got" coltrane besides early stuff until I slowed it down. Now that I know what I'm listening to I can enjoy it when my ear can keep up

The Audipo app is great for slowing down/speeding up audio on your phone. Multiple timeline bars so that you can really zero in on a specific place to drop markers, loop sections etc. It's an essential transcription and listening app.

User Info Menu

is there an app i can use to slow down spotify tunes? i have a paid account if that makes a difference. Or maybe youtube on my phone? Basically im trying to find a transcribing tool for my phone

edit: to specifiy I mean just using my phone, not in conjunction with anything else

User Info Menu

I use Transcribe!

I have Spotify on a Mac Mini. I use Audio Hijack (trial version is free and I think the only restriction is you can't have tracks over 10 minutes) to make an mp3 from Spotify (or Youtube). Transcribe! lets me slow down, alter pitch, etc etc. Can't remember what Transcribe! cost me but it's among the best value for money items I've ever bought (along with iReal Pro).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    is there an app i can use to slow down spotify tunes? i have a paid account if that makes a difference. Or maybe youtube on my phone? Basically im trying to find a transcribing tool for my phone

edit: to specifiy I mean just using my phone, not in conjunction with anything else
    I can slow down YouTube using the mobile app...make sure yours is up to date, this is a more recent ability, last 6 months or so I think (desktop YouTube has had the feature a good while, but who uses a desktop?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias
    I use Transcribe!

I have Spotify on a Mac Mini. I use Audio Hijack (trial version is free and I think the only restriction is you can't have tracks over 10 minutes) to make an mp3 from Spotify (or Youtube). Transcribe! lets me slow down, alter pitch, etc etc. Can't remember what Transcribe! cost me but it's among the best value for money items I've ever bought (along with iReal Pro).
    Transcribe! is my go-to and has been for many years. Great company that also has the online fakebook database if you're looking for which fakebook(s) have a particular song.

The Fake Book Index

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy
    Transcribe! is my go-to and has been for many years. Great company that also has the online fakebook database if you're looking for which fakebook(s) have a particular song.

The Fake Book Index
    Agreed. I originally bought it for PC many, many years ago - could be getting on for 20 years. Still get updates free. I did have to pay again for the Mac version but still fantastic value.

He warns you that if you lose your key you'll have to pay again but I lost mine once and he provided it free of charge. Great service. Recommended it to the bass player in my swing band recently and he loves it.

(My special tip for bass lines: if you have an old double bass part that's buried in the mix or similar, play the track back an octave higher. Suddenly the bass pops out and you can hear the notes. Works about 90% of the time.)

User Info Menu

I've tried several things that slow down audio but all of them break up after a certain point. I haven't found one yet that will literally produce very clear quality at far lower speeds.

I haven't tried it but I'm sure it would be a pretty frustrating and slow process to transcribe from such poor quality. Not impossible but tricky. If I had the money, and if I really needed to do it, I'd get one of those machines that separated sounds out and transformed them into visible music notation.

But, of course, that's professional level stuff.

User Info Menu

Transcribe! audio quality when slowing down, already at 70% slower, and much more, is much better than the one of the many other tools I tried, Amazing Slow Downer, YouTube, VLC

The other big plus of Transcribe! is the ability to create named loops that can be viewed and selected on a loop line. Very useful to structure an audio/video file into pieces

User Info Menu

It is better to play well slowly what you can hear while learning to hear faster.
    If the music you want to play is too fast for you to hear it when listening to it,
    how are you going to exert any quality control over it when you are playing it?

User Info Menu

I guess as music is some kind of conventional and at teh same time individual time expression... and poeple have very different perception of time... what people think of 'too fast to catch' is often the level of familiarity with the specific language...

for some people relatively slow music can be too fast...

I personally noticed that with years more and more I began to hear as if music just stands... like if you would look at the painting (which is not in general connected with time of perception) you can stop and look at some fragment.... I began to experience the same thing with music without actually stoping playback of course.

I use sometimes slowdown for picking a specific line but mostly I try to do all at actual speed....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I can slow down YouTube using the mobile app...make sure yours is up to date, this is a more recent ability, last 6 months or so I think (desktop YouTube has had the feature a good while, but who uses a desktop?)
    Thanks, just saw this. I assume it changes the pitch? I could work around that I suppose

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Thanks, just saw this. I assume it changes the pitch? I could work around that I suppose
    The desktop youtube slowdown doesn't change pitch, so I would guess the app doesn't either. But I haven't tried it. (haven't even got a smartphone!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The desktop youtube slowdown doesn't change pitch, so I would guess the app doesn't either. But I haven't tried it. (haven't even got a smartphone!)
    Cool! Thanks, grandpa! (jk)