The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Anyone using Logic here?
    How do you like it?

Just ordered a new Imac with Logic Pro X installed.
    I also recently got an Apogee Element 24 interface.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Logic is a lot of bang for the buck you should be happy with it.

User Info Menu

Using it every day with some big sessions. Morning till night, very stable with the odd crash.....maybe once every two days.
    Logic has an auto save method and saves another version just before a crash. Don't know how it does that but you get the choice to choose the version saved just before the crash and I haven't lost a moment of work yet.

There are some random bugs......just strange things now and then but nothing to make me want to stop using it.

Very light on CPU and depending on your computers speed you will be able to instantiate a lot of plugs before the CPU meter starts to get too high.

Not as stable as ProTools ........I could work for months without any crashes but a very creative DAW. It's also nice to have the world of AU plugs at your disposal.

Made by Apple for Apple computers.
    I started using Logic on an Atari back in the late 80's.....it was called Notator then.
    When the internet began and Notater became Logic, there was a user group established and Gerhardt Lengling and Chris Adams would answer questions and listen to our requests. Thems were the days!
    Good luck with it and definitely join the user group. There are some very helpful folks over there.

User Info Menu

I use to use Pro Tools and then I had kids and everything kinda just fail by the wayside.
    I had an older version with a Digi 003. I hated everything being tied to an ILok and a dungle.

The Mac has 40gb of ram, so hopefully I will be okay.

User Info Menu

Who is developing Logic these days, last I heard it was still the original three guys from Emagic, but that was a few years ago I heard that.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure Doc.
    It would be great if Gerhardt and Chris were still driving it.......from a stability point of view.

All the main DAW apps have their own work "vibe".
    I still go back to PTools for mixing.
    Write in Ableton for modern stuff.
    Write and mix in Logic for general pop stuff.
    Reason for certain modern stuff......but it will be a few years before they get their VST support fully ironed out. Reason is a resource hog and the new version 10 is no better.
    Studio One version Three is a great app. Similar to Logic but I prefer the layout in Studio One.
    The only thing that stops me using Studio One more is the transport and navigation.

I have almost 30 years of ProTools muscle memory so I can't really blame the product.

We have so much amazing tech for making music!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I am no Apple fan been dealing with them from the inside and out since the 80's, still used them for recording because I don't want to live in driver hell to you do with Windows and Linux for audio work. This is where being both the hardware and the software company pays off for Apple. My main computer is Linux and I really wish doing recording with Linux was better supported. All that said Logic Pro X is an excellent deal for what all comes with it, pro quality DAW, plug-ins, virtual instruments, loops and more.

Of course I'm saying this right after Apple just released their new iMac Pro their most expensive computer ever. It starts at $5000 for barebones model. Apple that is why some of your old loyal customers are now running Hackintoshes.

User Info Menu

I'm enjoying Logic X on my MacBook Pro, it works quickly and well, I have a lot of homework to do to catch up to the changes they've made, but it is very deep and pretty intuitive. ProTools is easier, and sounds great, but not as feature-laden.
    Last edited by ronjazz; 01-21-2018 at 12:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    I'm enjoying Logic X on my MacBook Pro, it works quickly and well, I have a lot of homework to do to catch up to the changes they've made, but it is very deep and pretty intuitive. ProTools is easier, and songs great, but not as feature-laden.

I don't know if ProTools is easier it more what approach you're coming from. When getting back into records after starting in the Jurassic analog days I was using Logic and got a good handle on it. Then I got a job a post production job in a ProTools shop and switched over. ProTools was designed for the old school people coming from tape machines and doing lots of editing. Logic's design if more geared for the modern digital composer doing own engineering. Seemed a lot of the film composer's who worked from home studios leaned towards Logic. Both good DAWs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I am no Apple fan been dealing with them from the inside and out since the 80's, still used them for recording because I don't want to live in driver hell to you do with Windows and Linux for audio work. This is where being both the hardware and the software company pays off for Apple. My main computer is Linux and I really wish doing recording with Linux was better supported. All that said Logic Pro X is an excellent deal for what all comes with it, pro quality DAW, plug-ins, virtual instruments, loops and more.

Of course I'm saying this right after Apple just released their new iMac Pro their most expensive computer ever. It starts at $5000 for barebones model. Apple that is why some of your old loyal customers are now running Hackintoshes.
    First thing they told us at community college about 7-8 years ago- we don't want to hear any PC versus mac nonsense. You're going to learn both. I'm FL Studio all the way and it's being beta tested on mac. I'm a longtime user and we tend to stick with what we already know.
    My 2 cents;
    Logic- great program and a fair price but you'll pay for updates. It has notation. That can be a big deal to some.
    Pro-Tools- overpriced crap.
    Cubase- respectable. They've been self-contained with software/hardware and been fairly consistent with innovation.
    Ableton- the new kid on the block. It's a performance tool that has some nifty things going on. They might be getting a little greedy lately.
    Reaper- it's a no brainer if you want to multi-track and get things done. They're good to their base and keep the price down. Excellent user forum.
    Reason- I have no clue.
    Digital Performer- no clue.

FL Studio- it's a mickey mouse program only used my rank amateurs in dance music.
    I LOVE it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    First thing they told us at community college about 7-8 years ago- we don't want to hear any PC versus mac nonsense. You're going to learn both. I'm FL Studio all the way and it's being beta tested on mac. I'm a longtime user and we tend to stick with what we already know.
    My 2 cents;
    Logic- great program and a fair price but you'll pay for updates. It has notation. That can be a big deal to some.
    Pro-Tools- overpriced crap.
    Cubase- respectable. They've been self-contained with software/hardware and been fairly consistent with innovation.
    Ableton- the new kid on the block. It's a performance tool that has some nifty things going on. They might be getting a little greedy lately.
    Reaper- it's a no brainer if you want to multi-track and get things done. They're good to their base and keep the price down. Excellent user forum.
    Reason- I have no clue.
    Digital Performer- no clue.

FL Studio- it's a mickey mouse program only used my rank amateurs in dance music.
    I LOVE it.
    Informative and funny too .

User Info Menu

I have used Logic for years and while it has some quirks it is my go to DAW. Never had a crash with multiple Macs including my somewhat new very tricked out iMac. Lots of free plugins out there too. I also use free standard midi files to practice and learn new tunes. They can be cheesy, but you can edit them relatively easy. My advice is to always try free GarageBand first as it essential a stripped down free version. Ableton Live... I have it but I can’t make it ever work for anything close to jazz!