The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

In BIAB, can one start playback at a measure other than the first?

I'm working on a song where the style changes at measure 57 and I don't know of any way to JUST play that measure (-to see if the style change input "took"), or START playing at that measure, much less the one before (which would be better, to see how the transition sounds).

It seems I have to start at measure 1 and listen all the way through to that point. And if that's the way it is, well, I can live with it. But I have a "sneakin' suspicion" that there's a way to do what I want that eludes me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes there is a ‘play from’ button or similar, lets you specify chorus and bar to play from. On my rather old version it’s to the right of the ‘play’ button somewhere.

User Info Menu

IIRC you need to do is double-click on the bar in question......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    IIRC you need to do is double-click on the bar in question......
    yes that works, I just tried it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yes there is a ‘play from’ button or similar, lets you specify chorus and bar to play from. On my rather old version it’s to the right of the ‘play’ button somewhere.
    Thanks, Graham! I'll find it. I knew this must be possible, just not how to 'command' it.

User Info Menu

Problem.
    Divided my BIAB originals into four folders (A-E, F-L, M-R, S-Z) and now BIAB can't find the songs!
    When I go to the folder of "My Songs In BIAB" and click on one, I get the 'how do you want to open this file?' message. BIAB is not an option. It never shows up.
    When I go to settings and want to set BIAB as the default for opening .SGU files, I can't find ".sgu" as a type of file one can set a default for.

I was in a chat with someone at PG Music about this but they weren't helpful. (I'm sure they know their stuff but I don't think they understood my description of the problem. I'm backward with tech, so I must take some responsibility for that.)

Anyone here know what I'm talking about?
    If so, how to fix it? (The files were not erased---I accidentally did that once but not this time.)

User Info Menu

Have you tried navigating to the file and opening it from the BIAB program?

User Info Menu

Yes, Frank, I was finally able to do that. I put the folder in documents with an aaa prefix, so it's always at the top of my list of documents

It didn't show up in BIAB when I wanted to open files. Only program files were available. Anyway, I can do it now.

Still don't know why I can't set BIAB as the default program for opening .SGU files on my laptop. Odd. But I can live without that.

User Info Menu

One of the things I struggle with are the settings for repeats, 1st and 2nd endings. Seems every time I try using those tools I mess up the file. Seems it's often easier for me to just cut and paste several times.

I find when I play with a backing track I cannot focus too closely on the screen showing the chords changing. I find I have to use my ears and not my eyes. Seems like the screen change is sometimes out of sync with the audio.

One of the things that drives me crazy is that the music will sometimes start playing while I am in the middle of editing. Not sure what causes that.

User Info Menu

Do you guys use this to work out your own compositions, or just to work on soloing over standards?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    Do you guys use this to work out your own compositions, or just to work on soloing over standards?
    I've done both over the years. Great for songwriting and practicing soloing. Also, I play bass and guitar so I've used BIAB as a source of drum tracks.

Today my songwriting process sometimes involves BIAB, but since I more recently use Reaper and EZDrummer2 I don't use BIAB very often these days. I skip the process and just go directly to recording in Reaper.

When I do use BIAB for songwriting the process is typically, 1) I come up with chords and groove while just playing guitar, 2) I find a compatible groove in BIAB, 3) I work up lyrics and melody while singing as BIAB plays as a backing track, 4) export the drum part and load it to Reaper and then record the other parts in Reaper.

Another way I use BIAB, I often learn bass parts from the BIAB tracks as part of learning the bass.

I'd make a distinction between composition and songwriting. If I was to define songwriting as having a lead sheet and asking a rhythm section to play it, and composition as having a detailed score and having musicians play it note for note (and yes there is a lot of grey area between these two)... BIAB is a good tool for songwriting but I wouldn't use it for composition. For composition I'd write with instruments and use MuseScore.
    Last edited by fep; 07-19-2020 at 12:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    I use it to work out my own things. Sometimes I use a simple backing for practice (-a loop of ii-V-I for example) but mainly it's for my own songs. Not just to work them out though, but to play my own songs and hear drums and bass as well as my guitar and voice.

User Info Menu

Easy drum intro?
    What if you just want a couple bars of a drum beat to start things off?
    How do you get that?
    Do you have to enter chords and then mute everything but the drums? (That seems tedious, though doable.)
    I've read there is a N.C. (no chord) option in BIAB but that it doesn't actually work...