Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
    Jam Origin – Audio to MIDI

Tracking on this blows away fishman or Roland. Not even close. Tracks 16th notes at 160 easily.

But the built in sounds are uninspiring. Anyone else have this or recommend some better windows 10 midi sound libraries?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi would you be able to play your guitar using this and somehow notate it.

I have a Sonnus i2M music port, but cant use it, what ever i play in ends up with a zillion notes, etc
    unusable really.

I want my work notated ( at the moment all my work goes to professional notators, its not cheap
    although they are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Durban View Post
    Hi would you be able to play your guitar using this and somehow notate it.

I have a Sonnus i2M music port, but cant use it, what ever i play in ends up with a zillion notes, etc
    unusable really.

I want my work notated ( at the moment all my work goes to professional notators, its not cheap
    although they are excellent.
    that's one of my use cases but haven't had a chance to try it.

1) Use for inputting midi into finale
    2) Use for inputting drum parts into reaper
    3) Use as a synthesizer for recording

well, i'm here to report back that the integration with finale 2014.5 has been almost a complete failure. First of all, you need to download a virtual midi driver like loopbe so that you can connect the output of jam origin's midi to the input of finale. Then, once you do that you can tell finale to use loopbe for input. Latency is about 50ms on that but finale's latency from input to output is about 200ms so you will need to disable finale's output or you will hear horrible delays and echos.

However, even after doing that, hyperscribe and simple edit seem to not be able to discern the quantization values you are recording at. For example, I have the metronome set at 60 and quantization set for 8th notes and I play a major scale and finale is doubling up the notes as if I'm playing double stops . The results seem to have nothing to do with any quantization value i'm using.

Speedy works but it's very annoying because you need to click a note on the computer keyboard to input the rhythm and that means playing everything on the guitar with just the fretboard hand.

I'm wondering if jam origin is ignoring the monophonic setting or posting multiple midi events? The user interface for the product is absolutely horrid. Sometimes it resets the settings after it loses focus.

heard back from the author that it's just too problematic using it with notation software and he kindly refunded my money.

User Info Menu

thanks for that, i am not really technical like you, and would not easily know what was wrong,

User Info Menu

how much is this soft or VST?

User Info Menu

I got this thing a year or so ago, and I have a lot of fun with it. I'm using a macBook pro with Mainstage for sounds. Or Logic; same instruments. You just open the DAW and use midi guitar as a plugin. For windows I'd look at Steinberg or Native Instruments.

Midi files are notoriously poor at translating to notation. I used to try to cop free arrangements that way, since there are a jillion free midi files available online. Usually, when you open them in Sibelius you have a real mess. Easier to start notating from scratch.

Logic has a notation window for midi files, and I guess other DAW's also have that. Maybe if you clean up the piano roll meticulously, then look at that notation, it wouldn't be too bad.

Forgot to add, it costs $100 USD. To use it as a guitar synth, your rig needs to include a decent laptop, audio interface and some cool-sounding software instruments. Sot that brings the cost up some...
    Last edited by bil; 10-19-2017 at 09:19 PM.

User Info Menu

What’s “Windows”?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarbean25 View Post
    What’s “Windows”?
    The operating system for the folks who don't sleep in line to be able to show their friends what computer or phone they buy.

User Info Menu

The operating system for the folks who don't sleep in line to be able to show their friends what computer or phone they buy.

-sigh- condemning or defending operating systems. i have to use a couple of different ones all the friggin' time. whatever. all of us slaves are devoted to our whip. GM or Ford, coke or pepsi, the only difference is they're a bit different.

What is "Windows?"
    a poem, reprinted here without permission but with attribution:
    Windows Is Shutting Down, by Clive James

Windows is shutting down, and grammar are
    On their last leg. So what am we to do?
    A letter of complaint go just so far,
    Proving the only one in step are you.

Better, perhaps, to simply let it goes.
    A sentence have to be screwed pretty bad
    Before they gets to where you doesnt knows
    The meaning what it must of meant to had.

The meteor have hit. Extinction spread,
    But evolution do not stop for that.
    A mutant languages rise from the dead
    And all them rules is suddenly old hat.

Too bad for we, us what has had so long
    The best seat from the only game in town.
    But there it am, and whom can say its wrong?
    Those are the break. Windows is shutting down.

User Info Menu

Any chance you could share your mainstage concert?

I’m trying to set mainstage up so I’m using midi guitar to control the mainstage synths....

or walk me through how you set up the channels?

User Info Menu

Any chance you could share your mainstage concert?
    I just opened one this morning, after seeing your post. First time running Mainstage with new OS; it looks different but seems to work the same. If you're having trouble using midi guitar as a plugin, try just opening it, then open mainstage, select keyboard from the quick start page. That's easy and works fine. The JamOrigin guys say there's less latency using it as a plugin, but there is very little, regardless. I made a video, turned into 3 minutes...