The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 93 of 93

User Info Menu

Does it come with a tiny bass player? How about a tiny piano player? Or do I need separate apps? How do i synchronize them?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    Does it come with a tiny bass player? How about a tiny piano player? Or do I need separate apps? How do i synchronize them?
    No, that's iReal. The bassist is pretty good, the drummer's kind of boring, the piano player's a fucking hack.

User Info Menu

I play with that band all the time!

User Info Menu

I totally get the use for recording tracks at home, etc. I'm just bemoaning that real musicians are becoming dispensable in these days of so called progress. And especially here in the Jazz community I would think improvisation is everything.

I think John McGlaughlin said it best "Music is basically dead!"

User Info Menu

One thing I wish about DG was that it had a wider range of bpm. There are times when working up a chord intensive piece, where it cannot be set slow enough. I have to go to a typical metronome and work it up for weeks before I can start practicing with DG.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    One thing I wish about DG was that it had a wider range of bpm. There are times when working up a chord intensive piece, where it cannot be set slow enough. I have to go to a typical metronome and work it up for weeks before I can start practicing with DG.
    Can’t you just use one of the ‘slow’ loops of a similar style, until you are ready to use a faster loop?

e.g. jazz swing loops start at 56 bpm and go up to 292 bpm, across the range of ‘slow’ to ‘fast’ styles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I think John McGlaughlin said it best "Music is basically dead!"
    Having this "quote from John McLaughlin" the genius Einstein is coming into my mind. It proves his unbelievable thinking that how many things he saw in advance, once in the early 1900s (!) he said:

"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that." (Albert Einstein)

Besides of the joke, I had the privilege yesterday evening to listen a live concert when Ferenc Snetberger and Concerto Budapest played McLaughlin's "Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra 'The Mediterranian'". I've already knew the music from McLaughlin's CD, but not this was my most frequently listened McLaughlin CD.

It was an amazing experience in that concert hall listening together with so many people. 2nd movement is so soulful,
    we can say for sure: Music is not dead, and will never die :-)

Btw: Chick Corea is coming to the very same place in summer, then Jack DeJohnette and Scofield, I have the tickets. And next week I am coming to a Kreisberg Trio gig to a local jazz club :-) needless to say: I can't wait. Not dead, not dead!

Drum Genius for Android / iOS-1-jpg

Drum Genius for Android / iOS-img3641-jpg

Drum Genius for Android / iOS-m1-jpg

Drum Genius for Android / iOS-m2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Can’t you just use one of the ‘slow’ loops of a similar style, until you are ready to use a faster loop?
    For example, right now I'm trying to work through TSOYS, but all the Bossas will only adjust down to ninty something bpm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    For example, right now I'm trying to work through TSOYS, but all the Bossas will only adjust down to ninty something bpm.
    fair enough. If you can be bothered with the hassle and you have a PC, you could record the headphone out (of your device running the app) into Audacity via line in on your PC, then use the Audacity slow-down effect to take it down even further. May not sound great, but probably ok for practice purposes.

User Info Menu

There's also that Barry Greene video where he shows you how to capture the DG loops in Ableton and change the speed, this might be another solution. I managed to do this following his video and using a free Ableton Lite which came with some gadget I bought years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    fair enough. If you can be bothered with the hassle and you have a PC, you could record the headphone out (of your device running the app) into Audacity via line in on your PC, then use the Audacity slow-down effect to take it down even further. May not sound great, but probably ok for practice purposes.
    Thanks, that's a great idea. I'm going to try it because I really like drum genius, but it takes me all afternoon to make some of these changes.

User Info Menu

Here is how to convert to midi in Reaper:

User Info Menu

Was wondering if some of you might post your favorite Drum Genius tracks and what song(s) they work well with. I am having trouble finding a track that works well with Sunny for example.

User Info Menu

If you’re trying to emulate the Pat Martino ‘Live’ version of Sunny, this one gets pretty close, it has the straight-eighths groove and the rimshots on every beat.

Drum Genius for Android / iOS-bca12a2e-b72c-4d58-bcfb-78c1847db0dc-jpg

User Info Menu

I don’t really associate the DG loops with specific tunes, but at some point I listed the ones I liked the most to suit various tempo ranges, just going by the sound and feel of each one. These are all jazz swing styles, I identified them by the drummer and the bpm, so you’ll have to look and see which track number they are in the app. Possibly I was trying to find the ones with the longest and most varied loops as well.

Grouped by the DG tempo sections:

Medium up:
    Jack de Johnette 173 bpm
    Billy Higgins 183
    Max Roach 187

Medium:
    Art Blakey 109
    Tony Williams 117
    Philly Joe Jones 122

Medium slow:
    Victor Lewis 108
    Pete La Roca 115

For brushes, I liked:
    Billy Higgins 116
    Ben Riley 126
    Elvin Jones 126

User Info Menu

Looks like DG just got an update on iOS after years: The crashs are gone, but the audio still gets stuck very often (an old issue). And it is still an iPhone only app with a barely minimal user interface. Not tested whether Inter audio works now...

User Info Menu

Anybody got a Drum Genius loop that might pair with this?

User Info Menu

This one sounds a bit like it (if you raise the tempo as shown below):

Drum Genius for Android / iOS-9df4f969-1473-4210-95f8-f39259a7f0e4-jpeg