The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Man,

I have been having fun using BIAB for many things, including teaching music to others that want a lesson or two. BUT!!!... I have run into a problem. Many of the new realtracks that I like require a higher version of windows to use.

I have Windows 7 Premium and it just ain't cutting it.

I am tempted to upgrade to Windows 10, since its free.

Do any of you have any sage advice or warnings that I need to know about before I do the deed? Have you seen any adverse affects on BIAB? Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I upgraded when W10 came out, and No, I have not seen any adverse affect on BIAB or anything else. I would take the plunge............

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    I upgraded when W10 came out, and No, I have not seen any adverse affect on BIAB or anything else. I would take the plunge............
    Thank you for your input.

I guess I am going to have to give it a shot and hope I can still use all of the various music software that I have loaded - probably 1,400.00 worth of stuff!

What the hell. Here I gooooooooo...........................(SPLAT!?)

User Info Menu

I've upgraded at least 4 family machines to Windows 10. The upgrades were relatively painless, and I like the OS. All good.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    I've upgraded at least 4 family machines to Windows 10. The upgrades were relatively painless, and I like the OS. All good.

Good luck!
    Thanks M-Ster.

I am aware of you use of music software so that gives me confidence.

I was already preparing myself for likely disappointment. Now, I think I will have a little more confidence.

I am finding more and more uses for music software and I would hate to start over with the buying and installing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster

Good luck!
    My daughter's Windows 8 laptop kept going into the 'perpetual startup loop of death' (even after a local shop repaired it), so I upgraded it to Windows 10 as a last resort. Fortunately it has been ok since then.

User Info Menu

Do make back ups! I was forced to re buy Reaper (a great DAW at a great rate) because I hadn´t kept a licence copy that I could find. I have learned my lesson on that front.

User Info Menu

No problem with W10 pro using many music software tools, Sibelius, Ableton, Dorico, Reaper, EarMaster, Exact Audio Copy, Format Factory, Free Download Manager. Kontakt, Neck Diagrams, Tabledit, Transcribe!, Addictive Drums, ...

Managed to find a way, using group edit to get notified when W10 updates are available for download, nothing happens until I allow for download but I never waited for a long time, just for being finished with the current tasks. Www search for "Windows 10 update notification" if interested.

User Info Menu

I upgraded to 10 last month, and they came and took my firstborn in the middle of the night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by max chill
    I upgraded to 10 last month, and they came and took my firstborn in the middle of the night.
    There you go! I knew it would not be that simple!

But with one less mouth to feed, maybe, just maybe I can now get that Gibson L5CES...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Man,

I have been having fun using BIAB for many things, including teaching music to others that want a lesson or two. BUT!!!... I have run into a problem. Many of the new realtracks that I like require a higher version of windows to use.

I have Windows 7 Premium and it just ain't cutting it.

I am tempted to upgrade to Windows 10, since its free.

Do any of you have any sage advice or warnings that I need to know about before I do the deed? Have you seen any adverse affects on BIAB? Thanks.
    Apart from it being a horrible, irratating piece of crap that makes doing everything harder and more confusing, nope, no adverse effects to downgrading to it from Windows 7. All applications work the same, (assuming you can find them). "Ooh, look the Start button they left out of Windows 8. Hooray!" "Bwaa haaa haaa, we'll make the users think it has a start button, eh Master Gates?"

John

User Info Menu

Well, after reading some messages above, I must say that having two computers, one W10 and one W7, I much prefer the W10 environment. Much simpler and more expressive icons, ease of file system navigation (back, up, down), quicker access to software tools and things, (Windows Key + Q and type a name). No problems at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    Well, after reading some messages above, I must say that having two computers, one W10 and one W7, I much prefer the W10 environment. Much simpler and more expressive icons, ease of file system navigation (back, up, down), quicker access to software tools and things, (Windows Key + Q and type a name). No problems at all.
    I guess if I had never used a Windows PC before (as opposed to having spent the last 20-odd years building up skills, shortcuts, familiarity, etc., in NT-based interfaces) I might like 10. But this old dog is tired of having to learn new tricks that offer no benefits every time Redmond needs new shoes (don't get me started on Office). All of the things you find faster I find slower and more difficult because I already know how to do them in the Windows 7 environment at my office, and every time I try to do them at home on my 10 machine I have to figure it out.

But anyway, all snark aside, to the OP the potential the upside is possible better performance on the computer and better future-proofing. The downside is the interface. Some people don't like it ...

John

User Info Menu

Well folks, there was one side-effect of upgrading to Windows 10 that no one mentioned. In my life, I have found there is ALWAYS a "catch," and I expected there would be one in this case as well. Windows 10 does not have drivers that will allow you to play DVDs in your DVD player the way Windows 7 (and 8) would.

So, I had to do a little internet research and download some third-party software, of which I chose VLC Player. It works OK but not as well as what I already had.

Soif you are like me, and you need your DVD player to play your concerts, True Fire courses, and other items, you will have to do what I did.

I meant to write this months ago but forgot until I had a converation with one of my guitar buddies who was complaining that he could not play the DVD that I loaned to him. Nor could his brother play any DVDs since upgrading to Windows 10. They are both in their 70's. I thought it might be wise to update the thread for anyone else that might get caught with this issue.

User Info Menu

In doing the research, it was clear that since DVDs and CDs are going the way of the 8-track tape, Microsoft surmised that they could save a lot of money by not adding in drivers for this type of media.

I can't blame them.

It is incumbent on me to try and keep up with life and not become a dinosaur. Maybe I will get on twitter one day. Nah!

User Info Menu

That's what they call an upgrade?

Thanks for the head's up....