Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

Wow, it's been a while since I was here last.

Anyway I'd like to improve the quality of my nylon string acoustic guitar sound when recording Youtube videos.

I have a Scarlett Focusrite and Reaper.

So I am thinking I just set up the Focusrite with a microphone and record straight into the DAW while filming myself playing on a camera.

I then go into Windows movie maker where I sinc the audio and camera clip.

Is that right?

Also what happens to the audio that is captured by the camera?

Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, you are thinking right, get a decent signal from microphone and/or guitar piezo and mix it in DAW with video track, where you just turn the volumen down to zero.

You may check how I did it:

Home recording of acoustic guitar through a microphone and piezo DI - how to do it yourself in 5 short steps, - 50 Shades of Guitar

and here's the nylon string through built in mic-piezo system D-TAR:

Thanks Tomek.

That's very helpful. Your blog post is great as someone with a walnut sized brain like mine can easily follow it.

I'll give it a try over the weekend.

For simplicity and ease i use a camera with a line in. I plug whatever i want to use directly into it (a Dtar preamp or a couple of pedals usually, sometimes an AER amp). This method saves me the time and effort of having to edit/work on stuff later. Cut the start and ending on the camera software and you re good to go.

I have a mics and card setup too, but for youtube, i think the direct approach has sound that's good enough.
    Here's a recent example from my youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    Hi Guys,

Anyway I'd like to improve the quality of my nylon string acoustic guitar sound when recording Youtube videos.

So I am thinking I just set up the Focusrite with a microphone and record straight into the DAW while filming myself playing on a camera.

Is that right?

TIA
    That is exactly what I do. I put a condenser mic about 2 feet from the guitar pointing at the 12th fret and record to Reaper while simultaneously using a web cam to record the video in windows movie maker. I then import the audio into windows movie maker, and "slide" the audio back in forth first with click and drag and then fine tuning using the nudge feature until they are lined up. I leave the audio recorded by the web cam on for the lining up purpose. Then I mute the web cam audio after it's lined up and that's the finished product. This is the audio quality I get that way:

B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Yes, record the sound straight to disk and synchronise with video afterwards. Depending on your video program's audio editing capabilities, you may want to treat the audio in another program first.

Video editors will likely not move audio in smaller increments than frames, so it might not sync exactly to the audio from the video. Just make sure that the audio doesn't precede the video (and mute that video audio!).

Here's a recording with an old phone and my preferred live setup:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Hi, you are thinking right, get a decent signal from microphone and/or guitar piezo and mix it in DAW with video track, where you just turn the volumen down to zero.

You may check how I did it:

Home recording of acoustic guitar through a microphone and piezo DI - how to do it yourself in 5 short steps, - 50 Shades of Guitar

and here's the nylon string through built in mic-piezo system D-TAR:

Really helpful info thank you .

EZ :

HR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    For simplicity and ease i use a camera with a line in. I plug whatever i want to use directly into it (a Dtar preamp or a couple of pedals usually, sometimes an AER amp). This method saves me the time and effort of having to edit/work on stuff later. Cut the start and ending on the camera software and you re good to go.

I have a mics and card setup too, but for youtube, i think the direct approach has sound that's good enough.
    Here's a recent example from my youtube

Outstanding looping what camera did you use ?

I was thinking on a large diaphragm condenser mic into an iphone .

¿ Do you re enforce the recording with the AER amp playing as you are recording and if so are you going into the amp from the guitar jack out direct into the amp and recording the audio from the amp as well as the room acoustics simultaneously with room mic and line inputs into the camera ?

Great recording and fine playing too thanks .

EZ
    :

HR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    That is exactly what I do. I put a condenser mic about 2 feet from the guitar pointing at the 12th fret and record to Reaper while simultaneously using a web cam to record the video in windows movie maker. I then import the audio into windows movie maker, and "slide" the audio back in forth first with click and drag and then fine tuning using the nudge feature until they are lined up. I leave the audio recorded by the web cam on for the lining up purpose. Then I mute the web cam audio after it's lined up and that's the finished product. This is the audio quality I get that way:

That was really good .

I just got a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and plugged into a Window 10 64 bit OS last night for my first test and it work using Reaper !
    This gives me hope and inspiration .

EZ & thanks for sharing

HR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Runepune View Post
    Yes, record the sound straight to disk and synchronise with video afterwards. Depending on your video program's audio editing capabilities, you may want to treat the audio in another program first.

Video editors will likely not move audio in smaller increments than frames, so it might not sync exactly to the audio from the video. Just make sure that the audio doesn't precede the video (and mute that video audio!).

Here's a recording with an old phone and my preferred live setup:

Hello Runepune :

That was killer on both guitars .

¿ The reverb/sustain on the nylon - was it only the guitar's sound or did you add FX to it ?

That resonator was killer too . I've a round neck resonator and your video has inspired me , thank you .

¿ What was the mic you used on these two videos & the interface ? A superb sound on both guitars .

EZ ;

HR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    Hi Guys,

Is that right?

TIA

I was searching stuff out on interfaces for the last 12 months at least . Everything I read on the Focusrite's was pretty much positive and super positive on the 2nd.Gen units . I have known of them far longer than the researching I have been up to these past 12 months too .

¿ I just got me a 6i6 - what you get ?

Used Reaper 64 for the first time last night and got it working . I am on a cloud .

Your post means a lot to me and the resultant responses are super info , hat's off to these great contributions posted on this topic of videos for Youtube uploading .

I'll be using a low hz Samson C01 large diaphragm condenser with a low hz Shure SM57 and maybe a X/Y mic set up from with my two matched hihz Shure Unisphere PE 585's or the two low hz X/Y mics on my Tascam DR44WL . It's going to be quite an interesting experimenting time for me . Maybe all of them at once

EZ :

HR

Outstanding looping what camera did you use ?

I was thinking on a large diaphragm condenser mic into an iphone .

¿ Do you re enforce the recording with the AER amp playing as you are recording and if so are you going into the amp from the guitar jack out direct into the amp and recording the audio from the amp as well as the room acoustics simultaneously with room mic and line inputs into the camera ?

Great recording and fine playing too thanks .

EZ
    :
    Thanks for the kind words! The camera is a zoom q4, not the best at video, but really great at recording live gigs and posting them without any hustle. This video is guitar (that has no acoustic sound - its an electric nylon guild custom shop model with a solid chambered body) directly into the aer preamp, and then directly into the zoom line in.

Here 's another video with a mic setup this time, two rode NT5 small condenser mics into a 6i6 focusrite. Bear in mind that this guitar is a pretty mediocre instument though (and so is my ability to get a good sound out of nylon strings ), but you get an idea of the sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

Hello Runepune :

That was killer on both guitars .

¿ The reverb/sustain on the nylon - was it only the guitar's sound or did you add FX to it ?

That resonator was killer too . I've a round neck resonator and your video has inspired me , thank you .

¿ What was the mic you used on these two videos & the interface ? A superb sound on both guitars .

EZ ;

HR
    Reverb added. The room was quite small, so I prefer to get the mic up close to avoid that small room sound, and rather add some ambience later.

I used the DPA 4099G and an RME interface in this video. One of the most important factors for people making good sounding videos at home is probably separate camera and mic placement though. Placement is crucial, and that camera mic is rarely in a good spot!

This was a test though. Normally I'd use a stereo mic setup with a reasonably tight pattern about a feet away, as I'm not recording the room.