The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I am now in several study groups and use my webcam (Logitech C920) for contributions. High quality (from my amateur perspective, anyway) and easy to use.

But I want to add titles and also do simple editing. Such as letting the camera roll while trying a few takes and then cutting out the false starts, and also cutting off the recording at whichever point I like. (Tired of seeing/ hearing me click the camera off at the end.)

Lots of options available online. And that's part of the problem. I have no idea which is most suitable for my needs. Don't mind paying a little something.

What I want is something easy to use. I'm not looking to make documentaries. I don't want to add music and the like. I just want to isolate a whole performance and present it with no unwanted dead space on either side.

I run Windows 10. (Windows used to come with Windows Movie Maker, which would be fine, but Windows no longer supports it and I don't have it.)

Simple to the point of simple minded. That's what I'm looking for. ;o)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A tutorial on using YouTube Editor:

User Info Menu

Yay! Thanks! That should be all I need.

User Info Menu

I've only used Sony. First Movie Studio Platinum then Vegas which is more expensive. Platinum can do a lot. There might be a learning curve with all of the video editing software but the tutorials for Sony products were pretty good.
    I use an ancient version of Photoshop Elements (6.0) which works fine for photo editing. I wonder if you might be able to find an old version of Sony Movie Studio Platinum. here's the new one;

Video programs of VEGAS Movie Studio family in comparison

An older version;

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12 (Retail) MSPMS12000CN 855309677824 | eBay

Yeah. If you're not interested in getting heavily into editing, the YouTube editor is probably all that you need.

The only thing I would comment on otherwise is that the upload size is going to be a limiting factor or frustration factor etc. Or potentially could be. If you want to record 15 minutes without stopping and then upload the five good minutes or whatever, it's not going to work as well on the YouTube end , because it's going to take so long to upload.

I am a cheapskate and not interested in being a major video editor . So, when I looked into it, I just got a version of Sony Vegas which was a couple of versions old on Amazon or something. Don't remember how much I spent , but it was substantially less than the new/current version. If you do something like that, look at system requirements etc. first. It's handy to be able to trim things on the front end before upload if the video is longer.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Yeah. If you're not interested in getting heavily into editing, the YouTube editor is probably all that you need.
    I tried this yesterday. And with a short sample video---less than 30 seconds. Hours later I was still getting the message, "This video is not ready. Please try again later." I wonder if they get a lot of traffic---because it's free and because it seems YouTube is where most people want to upload videos---and because of that, there can be, well, a traffic jam.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I tried this yesterday. And with a short sample video---less than 30 seconds. Hours later I was still getting the message, "This video is not ready. Please try again later." I wonder if they get a lot of traffic---because it's free and because it seems YouTube is where most people want to upload videos---and because of that, there can be, well, a traffic jam.
    No. Something is wrong. I would cancel and start over. Shouldn't take that long for 30 seconds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I had heard this was no longer available. Wrong again--what else is new? I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I had heard this was no longer available. Wrong again--what else is new? I'll give it a try. Thanks.
    Windows media maker is awful in my opinion...
    Maybe the newest is better?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Windows media maker is awful in my opinion...
    Maybe the newest is better?
    I don't think they make it anymore. It's not standard with Windows 10 PCs. I don't think Microsoft supports it anymore. But what I tried was easy to use. (I have very simple needs here; not looking to do anything fancy. Sometimes being 20 years behind the times is a blessing. ;o)

User Info Menu

Doesn't hurt to try a 30-day trial. The problem with video editing software can be file compatibility and Windows version compatibility.

Technical specifications – VEGAS Movie Studio

Supported formats

Import
    AAC, AA3, AVI, BMP, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV, AIFF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, PCA, SND, W64, WAV, WMA, GIF, JPEG, PNG, WDP, CDA, SFA

Export
    AVC/AAC, AVI, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV, MOV, AVCHD, RM, MVC, XAVC S, AAC, AIFF, FLAC, LPEC, MP3, OGG, PCA, W64, WAV, WMA, BMP, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, WDP, WMPhoto, DDS, DPX, EXR

Sony Vegas would be more capable AFA file formats but way overkill for what you need. I assume you're recording with a cell phone?

Supported formats

Import
    4K XAVC S, 4K XAVC, XDCAM EX, XDCAM Optical, DV, HDV, AVCHD, NXCAM, MOV, MP4, WMV, MPEG-1/2/4, H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, WAV, FLAC, AAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, Surround Sound/5.1, BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, OpenEXR-, DPX- and WDP image sequences

Export
    DVD, Blu-ray Disc, AVCHD Disc, (DV-)AVI, MJPEG, MXF, MOV, WMV, XAVC, XAVC S, MPEG-1/2/4, H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, WAV, MP3, BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, OpenEXR- , DPX- and WDP image sequences

You might get lucky with something that's free. I'd try that but also try something in the 50-100 dollar range. It comes down to your computer, operating system, processor, cell phone video format, etc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Doesn't hurt to try a 30-day trial. The problem with video editing software can be file compatibility and Windows version compatibility.

Technical specifications – VEGAS Movie Studio

Sony Vegas would be more capable AFA file formats but way overkill for what you need. I assume you're recording with a cell phone?

You might get lucky with something that's free. I'd try that but also try something in the 50-100 dollar range. It comes down to your computer, operating system, processor, cell phone video format, etc...

Thanks for all the info, Steve. I'm recording with a webcam, not a cellphone. I'm running Windows 10. I think any software would handle what I need----I want something that pretty much does just that. (It's like I want a steak knife and everyone wants to sell me a silverware setting for 100 guests. My impulse is: forget it, I'll eat it with my hands.)

User Info Menu

I changed from Cubase to Reaper some time ago as my DAW it doubles as video editing software (with 1st class sound editing on board naturally)

Download it free, it has a evaluation period that is free (with full features!!!) and purchasing price is ridiculously cheap.

Here:
    REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    I changed from Cubase to Reaper some time ago as my DAW it doubles as video editing software (with 1st class sound editing on board naturally)

Download it free, it has a evaluation period that is free (with full features!!!) and purchasing price is ridiculously cheap.

Here:
    REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits
    You've got to be be kidding me. Actually have that one. If the video editing is halfway decent, that's a no-brainer. Will definitely have to check that out.

User Info Menu

Just put your video files in Reaper, cut, arrange, etc. them as they'd be audio. Only difference is - when finished - "render video" instead of "render audio", that's it.

I had to fiddle around a bit until I found the right parameter for the resulting file, but that's not Reaper specific. I simply had no idea about video files and formats in general.

VLC must be installed, or at least, that's what Reaper uses for the video part on my computer. But VLC is free and highly recommended anyway (for being the way best video player that's around IMHO)

Have fun! :-)

User Info Menu

Couldn't solve latency problem (down to my incompetence) on Audacity, but checking out Reaper after this tip - for which, thank you!
    Video - from the Reaper site:
    http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php#QHcjUEOfAA0

User Info Menu

Thanks for the Reaper suggestion. I had no idea one could edit video with this program..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Couldn't solve latency problem (down to my incompetence) on Audacity, but checking out Reaper after this tip - for which, thank you!
    Video - from the Reaper site:
    http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php#QHcjUEOfAA0
    Looks like it might be possible to get ASIO For All going in Audacity but it's not worth the trouble;

ASIO Audio Interface - Audacity Wiki

Everyone seems to like Reaper. Mark just wants to do basic editing of Webcam video. I would guess free programs will do it but they amount to 'Malware' which can be annoying and hard to uninstall completely but they'll work.

User Info Menu

I use the free version of Wondershare for simple cut/paste/splice kind of stuff. It has the same functionality as the paid version except the free one puts a Wondershare watermark on your stuff. Paid version is something like $50 (IIRC). I found it relatively easy to use.

dave