Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I have got to tell you, it is so nice to have this little BIAB (Band-In-A-Box computer software) band forever at my beck and call to play my compositions.

    It is so wonderful to be able to plug in chords, choose instruments, and then here my song play. Sometimes its sounds just as good as I thought it would. Other times, I am a little disappointed, but I get gratification in as long as it takes to input the chords.

    I can even here solos from this little program to maybe steal licks from.

    While not perfect, with its penchant for throwing in altered chords when I don't want them (what would you do with a band member that did that?) still, I can immediately hear and tweak a song and maybe even capture what is in my head.

    Sometimes, I admit that I tire of the tone of the bassline and the overall production because I hear it everywhere, both in instructional material and in Youtube videos. In fact, this was a major reason that I did not buy the Digitech Band Creator pedal, because it incorporates the BIAB band ( I probably will get it one day anyway). Still, when it comes to generating a more realistic sounding backing track, is there anything out there better and more convenient?

    Thank you, BIAB.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post

    While not perfect, with its penchant for throwing in altered chords when I don't want them
    I think there is a setting where you can turn that off and on - something like "jazz up chords"....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO View Post
    I think there is a setting where you can turn that off and on - something like "jazz up chords"....
    We've been over this before in some detail...unfortunately none of those options work in the RealTracks version of BIAB (as far as stopping altered dominants is concerned).

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    We've been over this before in some detail...unfortunately none of those options work in the RealTracks version of BIAB (as far as stopping altered dominants is concerned).
    Here's something which might help with cutting down those annoying 'altered dominants' in BIAB (Real Tracks) when you don't want them. Basically try using another Real Tracks jazz style (if you have one), not the usual 'piano/bass/drums' style. Some of the other styles seem to alter the chords much less. For example I changed to using the 'jazz organ trio / Hammond B3' real track style, and it was much better, especially if you entered the chord as G9 instead of G7, it seemed to largely leave it alone as G9. (The piano style would still keep altering this).

    It would appear this 'feature' is hard-coded differently in each real tracks style, they are definitely not all using the same approach.

    Given the 'jazz B3' style doesn't cost that much as a download, it's worth it just for this. Plus I dig the organ trio sound for guitar anyway!

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Here's something which might help with cutting down those annoying 'altered dominants' in BIAB (Real Tracks) when you don't want them. Basically try using another Real Tracks jazz style (if you have one), not the usual 'piano/bass/drums' style. Some of the other styles seem to alter the chords much less. For example I changed to using the 'jazz organ trio / Hammond B3' real track style, and it was much better, especially if you entered the chord as G9 instead of G7, it seemed to largely leave it alone as G9. (The piano style would still keep altering this).

    It would appear this 'feature' is hard-coded differently in each real tracks style, they are definitely not all using the same approach.

    Given the 'jazz B3' style doesn't cost that much as a download, it's worth it just for this. Plus I dig the organ trio sound for guitar anyway!
    This is a revelation! Thanks for sharing your discovery.

    I am going to follow your lead on this one.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Here's something which might help with cutting down those annoying 'altered dominants' in BIAB (Real Tracks) when you don't want them. Basically try using another Real Tracks jazz style (if you have one), not the usual 'piano/bass/drums' style. Some of the other styles seem to alter the chords much less. For example I changed to using the 'jazz organ trio / Hammond B3' real track style, and it was much better, especially if you entered the chord as G9 instead of G7, it seemed to largely leave it alone as G9. (The piano style would still keep altering this).

    It would appear this 'feature' is hard-coded differently in each real tracks style, they are definitely not all using the same approach.

    Given the 'jazz B3' style doesn't cost that much as a download, it's worth it just for this. Plus I dig the organ trio sound for guitar anyway!

    Question: I thought you had to download them as part of a realtrack package. So are you saying you can actually just download an individual realtrack style?

    Thanks in advance.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    yep the B3 is the one.....bye bye piano.....like playing with Joey....we can all dream.../. $29
    RealTracks Set 90 : Jazz Organ
    Last edited by voxss; 04-07-2017 at 10:53 AM.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by voxss View Post
    yep the B3 is the one.....bye bye piano.....like playing with Joey....we can all dream.../. $29
    RealTracks Set 90 : Jazz Organ
    God bless you, voxss...Thanks.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    i love the trombone soloist...with a nice splash of BB reverb.just assign it to the real track...BB just does its thing with a little help from you....

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    You can hear me using the B3 backing on this clip:


  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    You can hear me using the B3 backing on this clip:

    That does sound nice ... wow. As does your git's tone an your playing. Nice.

    Stumbling fingers still need love ...

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by R Neil View Post
    That does sound nice ... wow. As does your git's tone an your playing. Nice.

    Stumbling fingers still need love ...
    Thanks! I do like the blend of organ with guitar, they always sound good together.

    Incidentally I learned this tune (Duke Pearson's 'Chant') after seeing Peter Bernstein play it with Larry Goldings, so I had to do it with the organ backing!

    There seem to be no charts anywhere for this tune, I worked it all out by ear from the Donald Byrd - Pepper Adams recording.
    Last edited by grahambop; 04-08-2017 at 08:35 AM.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Thanks! I do like the blend of organ with guitar, they always sound good together.

    Incidentally I learned this tune (Duke Jordan's 'Chant') after seeing Peter Bernstein play it with Larry Goldings, so I had to do it with the organ backing!

    There seem to be no charts anywhere for this tune, I worked it all out by ear from the Donald Byrd - Pepper Adams recording.
    Even more impressive then!

    Stumbling fingers still need love ...

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    no transcription graham....dang .... nice playing

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Great demonstration and some very tasty playing.

    I seem to remember our old friend Targuit "outing" you.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    Great demonstration and some very tasty playing.

    I seem to remember our old friend Targuit "outing" you.
    Thanks! I'm not sure what 'outing' means in this context...?

    As I recall T. was quite complimentary about my playing, but he also said once that I was a grave disappointment morally or something of that nature. I got over it eventually.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    ive looked high and low for a transcription as im hooked on this tune...and sadly dont have grahams skills at finding the notes from bernstein or is it Duke Jordan .OR Donald Byrd . ...ill ask saxsolos guy if he can do a transcription..
    Last edited by voxss; 04-08-2017 at 06:05 AM.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu


  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by voxss View Post
    ive looked high and low for a transcription as im hooked on this tune...and sadly dont have grahams skills at finding the notes from bernstein or is it Duke Jordan .OR Donald Byrd . ...ill ask saxsolos guy if he can do a transcription..
    Hi vox
    I wrote the chart out in finale but I don't want to post it here in case of copyright issues. Maybe PM me and we can sort something out.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Of course it's by Duke Pearson, not Duke Jordan.

    (too many dukes in the jazz kingdom!)

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Duke Pearson/peter bernstein transcription of CHANT...2 choruses....Peter Bernstein | Alex Corlett

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    You can hear me using the B3 backing on this clip:

    Very nice demonstration of the style. Are those "solo breaks" part of the style, or you added them some way?

    Thanks.
    Tamir

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tamirgal View Post
    Very nice demonstration of the style. Are those "solo breaks" part of the style, or you added them some way?

    Thanks.
    Tamir
    In BIAB you can set parameters at a specific bar, i.e. stop the bass, drums or piano (or organ in this case) from playing for a specified number of beats.

    'Chant' is an unusual tune because the head is only 31 bars but during the solos the form is 32 bars. So I had to set the head up as an 'intro' section, then set up another 32 bars for the repeating 'solos' section.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Thanks! I'm not sure what 'outing' means in this context...?

    As I recall T. was quite complimentary about my playing, but he also said once that I was a grave disappointment morally or something of that nature. I got over it eventually.
    ha ha!

    By "outing" I just meant he exposed you as one of the members of this forum that can actually play Jazz. So many of us are "seekers," and many seem to come and go. You are a player.

    By the way, thanks for sharing some of your BIAB techniques. I will mimic them.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    In BIAB you can set parameters at a specific bar, i.e. stop the bass, drums or piano (or organ in this case) from playing for a specified number of beats.

    'Chant' is an unusual tune because the head is only 31 bars but during the solos the form is 32 bars. So I had to set the head up as an 'intro' section, then set up another 32 bars for the repeating 'solos' section.

    Thanks. I played with that feature in the past, but couldn't make it sound so natural as you did. I'll need to give it another chance.

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tamirgal View Post
    Thanks. I played with that feature in the past, but couldn't make it sound so natural as you did. I'll need to give it another chance.
    I think one little trick I discovered was to 'bring back' the drums 1 beat before the bass/piano etc. It sounded more natural, i.e. you get a little fill on the drums just before everything else comes in. Otherwise it did sound a bit artificial for some reason.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    I think one little trick I discovered was to 'bring back' the drums 1 beat before the bass/piano etc. It sounded more natural, i.e. you get a little fill on the drums just before everything else comes in. Otherwise it did sound a bit artificial for some reason.

    Cool. Thanks for the tip!

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    if your using the organ kill your Bass...organ plays Bass................

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee View Post
    A funny development to this topic - I updated to the 2017 version and I'm finding the opposite is now an issue - I'll type in G7alt, or G7#5b9, etc. and the Realtracks will play a G13 (ie. natural 9 and natural 13).
    Oh no! I hope there is just something that you are missing. I am planning to upgrade soon myself.

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    I upgraded last week and am liking it so far. Thanks for the tips fuzzy.