Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi,

I have Kurzweil e-piano, mostly used it just as a common piano substitute.
    But now I want to get it connected with my cmputer, to make backing tracks myself.

I did not do that PC stuff since 90's... so I'm out of the current situation now.

what could be your advise on simple recording/editing soft?

I need just something really simple: 4-5 tracks, basic editing options, simple operations (especially for looping).
    (and I do not need instruments libraries etc. - I will use mic, or e-piano library, so just recording/editing)

The idea is to record live quickly, edit a bit maybe and playback.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Reaper is inexpensive and very robust for the money spent. Highly recommended. Are you recording with midi? I haven't really done any midi in Reaper, but I'd imagine it covers?

User Info Menu

Cockos Reaper all the way!

User Info Menu

also look into presonus studio one- they have a free version that may be enough. i recently migrated to their full version from sonar and its easier than that, if nothing else.

User Info Menu

I'm one of those 90s guys (ie, learned cooledit and do not want to learn something else). Somehow down the road I lost my software key for my ancient copy of it. Turns out it has been renamed Adobe Audition. I bought version 1.0 (it does just about everything) on ebay for 50 bucks.

User Info Menu

Reaper!!!
    Pete Martin - just a mandolin guy but loves jazz guitar
    www.PetimarPress.com
    Www.Jazz-Mandolin.com
    Pete Plays Wes free download
    www.jazz-mandolin.com/PetePlaysWes.xht

User Info Menu

I recently started using Reaper too. costs about 60USD and you have 60 day free evaluation period to try it out for free before you decide you want to keep on using it and pay.
    Very happy and impressed with it so far.

I've used audacity. It's free and open source.
    Works very well for simple stuff.

if you use mac you can use garage band. (think it costs 5USD in the app store, some years ago it came for free with OSX).

Many of the big and serious DAW software offer limited feature set versions of their full product for free (often you have to register or something like that). I think Cubase LE is one of those.

reaper doesn't actually have a set trial period, you can evaluate it for as long as you want. I like it too.

User Info Menu

I think it would be hard to find something more intuitive than GarageBand, either on OS X or OS10 for iPad.

If you have an iPhone iRig recording software is pretty good (guitar-oriented), there's also an older program called Four Track that's super easy to use.

Personally I tend more toward ease of use than complexity and power, just cause I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of spending too many hours on fiddling with recorded tracks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri View Post
    I've used audacity. It's free and open source.
    Works very well for simple stuff.
    This. For the level of "plug and record" simplicity the OP is looking for, there's really no need to look further.

I use the Ableton Live 8 that came bundled with my interface strictly for building my midi backing tracks, but I import those tracks to Audacity to do the actual recording. Audacity has its limitations, but I'm no "pro" so simplicity and intuitiveness wins the day for me.
    Soundcloud

Play what you love. Practice what you must. ~ Larry Carlton

User Info Menu

Audacity - it's free!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I think it would be hard to find something more intuitive than GarageBand, either on OS X or OS10 for iPad.

If you have an iPhone iRig recording software is pretty good (guitar-oriented), there's also an older program called Four Track that's super easy to use.

Personally I tend more toward ease of use than complexity and power, just cause I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of spending too many hours on fiddling with recorded tracks.
    Garageband has been my main software for several years. It does a nice job of offering a fair amount of power while still keeping it pretty easy to use. It's not quite as intuitive as the older version but most of it still pretty obvious, especially the editing.
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed

another +1 for reaper.

It has a bit of learning curve but just splitting, nudging, zooming, editing in general is lightning fast when getting used to it and setting it up right.

Also you get answers in minutes in their forum when in trouble.