The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

This is my first time opening a thread and sorry that my first thread is a question.
    I've been using a Sony portable DAT recorder as far as I can remember, using it for recording various occasions including practice sessions, jam sessions, club gigs and so on. It is a perfectly simple record-and-stop solution, and with a Sony's stereo PCM mic, it does its job more than I need.

But recently, I've decided to embrace a new trend in the current music scene and thinking to post my music online via various social services, e.g. SoundCloud and Bandcamp. To do that, I need to import the recordings to MP3 or other digital formats.
    So here is the thing, I don't know how to import DAT recordings to PC. :/ And I'm not sure whether such thing is possible. I know DAT can be a data solution but is there any external drive so I can transfer recordings to PC? I googled it, and there are few companies offer DAT to MP3 transfer. But as I have quite a few DATs I wish I can do it on my own. So I want a permanent solution; if there is any, I am willing to open my wallet to spend a couple of hundred top.

I use a Samsung laptop with Ubuntu Linux, but I can run Windows 10.

Thanks for your insight!
    mezzo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One word. Audacity. Audacity is in the Ubuntu repositories, and it's a great solution for audio recording. Connect the Sony player to your computer, probably via the earphone jack (I've never used a DAT recorder, but there should be some output jack of some kind), run Audacity, and record the music. Audacity will let you export the audio file as almost any type you like, including .wav, .mp3, .flac, whatever. I've recorded all sorts of music with Audacity, from reel-to-reel tape, LPs, anything that provides line-level input. If it's not line-level, there are many converters available. I generally use a unit I got off ebay, that has RCA inputs and USB output, or vice versa via a switch.

Like almost all Linux software, Audacity is free. The RCA/USB converter was on the order of $10, but you can get more expensive hardware for this. I have some, but I notice no difference in quality when using them. Or you can just use a standard cable with 3.5mm plugs on each end and put that into the mic jack on the computer, but using USB is much better, IME. You might want to install pulseaudio the PAVU volume control, which makes connecting audio sources and sinks somewhat easier. That's also in the Ubuntu repositories, AFAIK. I haven't run Ubuntu in years, preferring Debian, but I'd be amazed if it's not still in Ubuntu's repos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    One word. Audacity. Audacity is in the Ubuntu repositories, and it's a great solution for audio recording. Connect the Sony player to your computer, probably via the earphone jack (I've never used a DAT recorder, but there should be some output jack of some kind), run Audacity, and record the music. Audacity will let you export the audio file as almost any type you like, including .wav, .mp3, .flac, whatever. I've recorded all sorts of music with Audacity, from reel-to-reel tape, LPs, anything that provides line-level input. If it's not line-level, there are many converters available. I generally use a unit I got off ebay, that has RCA inputs and USB output, or vice versa via a switch.

Like almost all Linux software, Audacity is free. The RCA/USB converter was on the order of $10, but you can get more expensive hardware for this. I have some, but I notice no difference in quality when using them. Or you can just use a standard cable with 3.5mm plugs on each end and put that into the mic jack on the computer, but using USB is much better, IME. You might want to install pulseaudio the PAVU volume control, which makes connecting audio sources and sinks somewhat easier. That's also in the Ubuntu repositories, AFAIK. I haven't run Ubuntu in years, preferring Debian, but I'd be amazed if it's not still in Ubuntu's repos.
    Thanks sgosnell,

I have to admit that I haven't really thought of using line input to record the track. Just to make sure, so I can use RCA/USB converter to change analog audio signal to USB and run Audacity to record it, right?
    I found this on Amazon, and I think this can be the answer.
    Attachment 39349
    Konig Audio/Phono USB Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thank you again!
    mezzo

User Info Menu

That should work, as will almost any DAC. I don't know of any other way to get the music off the tape. It's slow, but it works.

User Info Menu

It's possible your DAT machine may have a digital output, which could be fed to a digital input on you computer's audio interface. If you take this approach be careful to match sample rates - I seem to remember some of the old dat machines recorded at 48khz(?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    It's possible your DAT machine may have a digital output, which could be fed to a digital input on you computer's audio interface. If you take this approach be careful to match sample rates - I seem to remember some of the old dat machines recorded at 48khz(?)
    ^^^
    What he said. The digital/optical output will be the highest quality way to transfer your music. It still is in real time. You will of course need to connect some sort of audio interface with the same kind of digital connection your DAT machine has. This will connect to your computer, which will run software (many free ones out there) that will store, edit and re format your music (mp3 etc).

There are several cheap options of audio interfaces if you hunt around, including eBay for used units. Expect to invest a few hours learning about your options as well as how to best use what you choose with whatever software you find. Consider also, in future, bypassing using the outdated DAT technology, and record direct to your computer instead (easier if it's a laptop!).

User Info Menu

I used to have a Dat to Wav converter in my recording studio but it took just as long as listening / recording it to wav so I almost never used it. It did work with DAT backup drives installed in the PC though. I'll see if I can dig up the name o the software. I think it needed Windows NT to work. Only 2 channel audio. No multi-track dat systems.

User Info Menu

I use a handheld Yamaha PR7. It works and sounds great. I transfer to my laptop with a USB cable and then load into Audacity. There are similar units for under $100.

User Info Menu

Thanks all,

Mine is a Sony TCD-D8 DAT Walkman and unfortunately, this does not have a digital output. But I guess I can do line output to a USB DAC's RCA input. I normally use it for the sake of my own practice, so I've been not too fussing with the quality as long as I can hear clearly. Also, I've been searching analog line input to digital audio output converting, and it seems like any DAC can do quality converting. Plus, I guess compressed digital audio files cannot be any better, especially when I upload it on online streamings such as YouTube and SoundCloud.
    Thank you all for your suggestions! And as rpjazzguitar said, I might buy a digital handheld recorder at some point.

mezzo

User Info Menu

I have a little Tascam DR-22WL that does a good job for me. It's not the newest or the greatest, but it works. It also has wireless built in, and I can control it remotely with my phone. One nice feature is the ability to screw it onto a standard camera tripod.

I just had a thought. The Tascam can take line in, so you can record directly from the Sony to it. I've done some recording on it from LP records. You can then transfer from the Tascam to a computer via USB, it uses a microUSB connection and comes with a cable. It records to a microSD card, and a 4GB card comes with it. You can take the card out and transfer the files with a card reader, which is what I usually do. If you're going to buy a digital recorder anyway, you can save the cost of the DAC.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 01-29-2017 at 11:57 PM.

User Info Menu

according to the manual

https://docs.sony.com/release//TCDD8.pdf

TCD-D8 has a digital output.
    But using a special cable.

If you have the cable, then digital output is possible.

There are many Digital/Analog USB audio interface in the market.
    You can find focusrite, Tascam, M-audio, MOTU has many excellent devices.
    For Linux, I think focusrite's USB units are better supported.

Or look for one that support standardized USB Audio API.

The following models are explicitly mentioned in the linux kernel source code:

mixer_quirks.c: case USB_ID(0x1235, 0x8012): /* Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 */
    mixer_quirks.c: case USB_ID(0x1235, 0x8002): /* Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 */
    mixer_quirks.c: case USB_ID(0x1235, 0x8004): /* Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 */
    mixer_quirks.c: case USB_ID(0x1235, 0x8014): /* Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 */
    mixer_quirks.c: case USB_ID(0x1235, 0x800c): /* Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 */
    mixer_quirks.c: case USB_ID(0x1235, 0x8010): /* Focusrite Forte */
    mixer_scarlett.c: * Focusrite's implementation of it. Eventually quirks may be sufficient but
    mixer_scarlett.c: * NB. Neither the OSX nor the win driver provided by Focusrite performs
    mixer_scarlett.c:/* Mixer Interface for the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 audio interface.
    mixer_scarlett.c: * Scarlett MixControl (v 1.2.128.0) and the Focusrite(R) Scarlett 18i6
    mixer_scarlett.c: * Create and initialize a mixer for the Focusrite(R) Scarlett
    quirks.c: * Focusrite Novation Saffire 6 USB audio card
    quirks.c: case USB_ID(0x1235, 0x0010): /* Focusrite Novation Saffire 6 USB */
    quirks.c: case USB_ID(0x1235, 0x0018): /* Focusrite Novation Twitch */

User Info Menu

This whole thread is really a case study of how Sony lost its dominance of personal audio. They owned the world with the Walkman cassette recorders, and the DAT recorder that followed was small and produced great recordings. However, Sony chose to ignore the writing on the wall when the early mp3 recorders (Diamond Rio) showed up, and walled their format off from the rest of the audio world, perhaps to protect the music companies they owned. Apple stepped in and with the ipod and iphone and ate Sony's lunch, with a solution for recording that was far from perfect, but at least you could access the file you recorded, as opposed to RE-RECORDING into a file in real time (a truly ridiculous solution). The irony is that Sony was there first and IMHO, had the superior recorder compared to the iphone or competing mp3s at the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mezzo
    Hi guys,

This is my first time opening a thread and sorry that my first thread is a question.
    I've been using a Sony portable DAT recorder as far as I can remember, using it for recording various occasions including practice sessions, jam sessions, club gigs and so on. It is a perfectly simple record-and-stop solution, and with a Sony's stereo PCM mic, it does its job more than I need.

But recently, I've decided to embrace a new trend in the current music scene and thinking to post my music online via various social services, e.g. SoundCloud and Bandcamp. To do that, I need to import the recordings to MP3 or other digital formats.
    So here is the thing, I don't know how to import DAT recordings to PC. :/ And I'm not sure whether such thing is possible. I know DAT can be a data solution but is there any external drive so I can transfer recordings to PC? I googled it, and there are few companies offer DAT to MP3 transfer. But as I have quite a few DATs I wish I can do it on my own. So I want a permanent solution; if there is any, I am willing to open my wallet to spend a couple of hundred top.

I use a Samsung laptop with Ubuntu Linux, but I can run Windows 10.

Thanks for your insight!
    mezzo
    For the purpose you're describing (converting the DAT audio to a computer audio format and uploading it to the web), it's not worth the trouble of cobbling together some sort of digital connectivity between the DAT machine and your computer. Back in my DAT days, I went through several variations on that theme with both that model portable DAT machine a friend of mine had (he also had the adaptor box for digital audio out) and a full-sized DAT deck I had, and various soundcards that had digital inputs. If you have all the pieces in hand, great (and if you do, SFAIK, it still has to be real-time). But otherwise, going out through the DAT machine's line-out to the line-in on your laptop and recording it with what ever audio recording program you've got (or can download for free) will sound fine. I'd recommend recording it first in full resolution and then converting that to a compressed format if need to for your purposes.

John

User Info Menu

Sony has failed in many ways, going back to the BetaMax. The technology was superior to the VCR, but marketing was inferior. The Memory Stick never went anywhere. Sony keeps insisting on selling its own proprietary technology, but doesn't have the marketing expertise to make it work. Microsoft, OTOH, has inferior technology but the best marketing there is. Having the best hardware isn't enough to make it. Having the best marketing is.

User Info Menu

Sony won on Blue-ray so they will plod on just as they always have , I think they have figured out that if even one sticks every now and then the rewards out weigh lots of platforms that just don't stick around. Blue-ray was the one, that analysts said they just could not lose and they threw everything they had at it for sure.

User Info Menu

I just saw this thread and thought I'd offer suggestions, if it's not to late to help the OP.

First, I agree with other comments - a digital transfer to PC would be best. I have a newer SONY portable model - the PCM-M1 - which potentially had some different cable options than the older TCD-D8. The only SONY-made 7-pin cables for my unit offering digital output were toslink. If interested in a coax connection, however, this compatible third-party cable could do the trick: Sony TCD-D7 TCD-D8/D100 & PCM M-1 7 Pin Digital Cable Oade Brothers Rare RK-DA10 | eBay.

However, there's also the step needed to get the digital signal into the PC. There are cheap solutions out there and more expensive ones that can take coax and/or toslink to USB or firewire. If buying used, better options may not cost too much. E.g., I use an old MOTU Ultralite that I found for $150 - happen to be transferring a DAT right now to my Mac as I type these words. Since the OP mentioned finding a permanent solution, I'd recommending going for the best quality option possible that can be affordable.

As for software, Audacity is not the tool I use, but it's what I hear recommended most often. Transferring digital audio files is way easier than analogue, as in hardly any settings to make, so no-frills freeware or shareware should be a fine way to go. Good luck!