The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

My first attempt as using Digital Work Stations (DAW) was rough. I learned a lot but wasted much valuable time. I wanted to start a list for you guys that are older like me, so you can start out right. Maybe you folks can add to it.

1) Make sure your computer meets the minimum storage requirements. I tried to use Ableton Live to record a song and it kept crashing. Turns out it needed minimum 4.00 GB RAM and my computer is just under that.

2) Make sure you choose the correct inputs and outputs for the DAW. Usually, this can be done by clicking on "Options" and then going to "Preferences" and then you choose where the signal is coming from.

3) With the recording programs (again, called DAW) I am using (Ableton Live 9 and Reaper) and most others, you will need to buy an Audio Interface Unit. You plug your guitar into it, and then it sends a usable signal to your DAW so you can record.

4) You will have to have a good internet signal because you will be downloading this programs directly into your computer (Unless you go out and buy it in Disk form if it is available in the medium). I spent 3 hours downloading the different programs, and I had to create accounts with four different companies to do it.

5) You must know the difference between a program that you use to record, such as Pro Tools, Ableton Live, and Reaper, and a program that you use to create effects, such as EZMix 2, Guitar Rig, and I-Rig. I bought EZMix 2 thinking I could record with it (silly me).

Maybe you can add some other follies to this list?
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 11-27-2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: changed 400 to 4.00

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i currently use a laptop's built in mic. to record my playing - and i use the same laptop to play the backing tracks i'm using

so i need advice and help - so thanks for this ar!

(but i don't want to put any valuable time into it - which is why i'm still using this method)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    i currently use a laptop's built in mic. to record my playing - and i use the same laptop to play the backing tracks i'm using

so i need advice and help - so thanks for this ar!

(but i don't want to put any valuable time into it - which is why i'm still using this method)
    You are welcome.

There is one heck of a learning curve to this home recording stuff. I learned so much in the last few days but still have a ways to go.

The internet is a big help, especially Youtube but for an older dog like me, it is so painful going it alone - but also rewarding.

We will see what others might add.

User Info Menu

Here is another little tidbit.

6) Ableton Live, and some of these other recording programs require so much RAM memory that I cannot use them. I have found that for $60.00, Reaper works with my computer's RAM limitations.

7) RAM is basically working memory. Kind of like what a computer can keep in its head all at one time. While ROM is memory that is stored away and has to be recalled.

8) Your DAWs can have their own built in effects (reverb, types of distortion, delay, etc...) or it can use some effects you create from programs like EZmix2 and I-Rig.

9) With Reaper, you will download a bunch of stuff that will be contained in a folder called "Reaper." Same with Ableton and others. Within that folder, are many other little folders, half of which I don't know what they are.

10) The various effects all seem to have the suffix ".dll" in their name. For example, you might find one that is calle "reverb1.dll" or "ambient room.dll" These are called "PlugIns" and for your DAW to be able to utilize them, they have to be copied and pasted into a little folder. I put my effects, including the EZMix 2, into a folder called "VST Plugins." After much reading, I was able to do this and Reaper was able to use the effects that I put in there.

11) Options>Preferences>Inputs, for most programs takes you to the choice of inputs and channels. I choice the focusrite Scarlet 2i4, but I did not realized that I had needed to choose channel 2 instead of leaving it in channel 1. This was because plugged my guitar into channel 2 of the Scarlett Audio Interface Units inputs (I have two plug in holes available, channel 1 and channel 2).

12) Finally, at least with my Audio Interface Unit, I needed to go to focusrite and download the "ASIO" driver because I have Windows running on my computer. You also have to choose this driver as part of your "preferences." Mac computers have some other driver.

13) The reason I had to download the ASIO driver first, BEFORE I plugged in the USB cable from my audio interface unit (the focusrite Scarlet 2i4) was because when I plugged in the unit first, the computer analyzed it and ASSIGNED its own driver, which of course was wrong. So download the driver first, and when you plug your unit it, the computer will find it and assign it. I had hell getting the computer to reassign the correct driver (ASIO) after the fact.

I did all of my experimenting about 10 or 15 years ago and have really slacked off, in more recent years. I'm mainly doing some basic stuff with Reaper now and with some video software. I'm using Sony Vegas and it's built in fx. Really don't want to get into multiple pieces of software to do one thing if I can help it.

Anyway, my main problems back in my beginning days were with the multiple layers of software and hardware. Back then, I called customer support for one thing and they would say "it's the hardware". Called the hardware company and... "it's the software". Then, once the software was old enough, you worldn't have tech-support anymore.

Things are a little different now, in mostly good ways. Rather than technical reading, you can get the answer to most things with a YouTube video. Much more straightforward than digging into technical reading.

I guess the one thing I would point out to anyone who's not very tech savvy in the first place is this: It might be well worth doing a little research on YouTube videos , support , online forums etc. to find software platforms and hardware device combinations which are the most supported.

I would assume that something like a simple Scarlet interface running into Reaper, for example, would be a common enough set-up to provide a lot of online instruction/videos etc. Once you get into multiple software/hardware combinations , it gets much more complicated to solve simple problems. Sometimes there's great benefit to finding one piece of software that will do the job which would otherwise require two separate ones. Not always but sometimes.

I think this is the appeal to using things like iPads. You sacrifice a little on certain things, but it's one piece of hardware and all the software is integrated. I don't have one , but I wonder if that's more of the thing nowadays anyway?

My two cents.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 11-27-2016 at 04:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Matt, you make some very good points, again.

I want to add that many see Reaper as a good entry into the world of home recording using DAWs. Many of the features in Reaper are also in the more expensive DAWs.

I think the home version of Reaper is $60.00 or so. I think there is a professional version in which they want more but I am not sure.

Also, you get a 60-day free trial before you buy it. I would say to go ahead and purchase your guitar's audio interface unit first so you can start experimenting from day 1.

User Info Menu

Don't add so much effing reverb/delay. EVERYBODY adds way too much effing reverb/delay. Always. Do you ever hear that much on a professional recording? Never.

User Info Menu

The list continued:

14) You can use these effects programs, like EZMix 2 (which I believe has a 7-day free trial), with your handheld audio recorders like the Boss BR-600, the Tascom products, and the Boss MicroBR. This takes multiple pieces of equipment, but it might get you a nice sound. I love the Jazz presets and choices in the EZMix 2.

15) Now is the time to buy. I have seen these computer programs go at great discounts. One rather complicated (at least in my opinion) drumming program called Superior Drummer 2 from Toontrack, is 70% off right now. ($105.00). I might graduate to it next year but for now, I have EZdrummer 2 already. Deals are everywhere.

16) I have not tried it yet, but once I create a drum track, I can bring it (import it) into my Reaper program for use.

17) MIDI is hard for me to describe but I have learned that is has its own input and output cables and can be used to control the features in a music software program. For example, Ableton makes a little keyboard that you use to create music in an associated computer program. For example, you press a key on the keyboard, and the computer sees it as playing a kickdrum, or maybe the middle C pitch.

User Info Menu

400GB RAM? I haven't seen a computer with that much. Perhaps you meant MB instead?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    1) Make sure your computer meets the minimum storage requirements. I tried to use Ableton Live to record a song and it kept crashing. Turns out it needed minimum 400 GB RAM and my computer is just under that.
    I'm pretty sure there is no such computer motherboard that can support that much RAM. Maybe you meant 4gb? 400mb? 4gb of RAM is sufficient for most programs out there on the market unless maybe your doing video editing. I have 16gb on my system and that is more than enough for everything I've ever run.

Here is a random beginner home recording mistake that I made which gave me a massive headache --- record at the same frequency that your soundcard is set to. For example by default, my soundcard is set to 48000hz. I once tried to record at 44000hz or something like that, and each track in the recording was completely out of synch with one another...it took me quite a while to figure it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzen
    I'm pretty sure there is no such computer motherboard that can support that much RAM. Maybe you meant 4gb? 400mb? 4gb of RAM is sufficient for most programs out there on the market unless maybe your doing video editing. I have 16gb on my system and that is more than enough for everything I've ever run.

Here is a random beginner home recording mistake that I made which gave me a massive headache --- record at the same frequency that your soundcard is set to. For example by default, my soundcard is set to 48000hz. I once tried to record at 44000hz or something like that, and each track in the recording was completely out of synch with one another...it took me quite a while to figure it out.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake. I have corrected it accordingly! Is should have read 4.00 GB, and I think mine said "3.63 Usable." So I did not even have the necessary RAM to begin with.

In Ableton, the lack of RAM made the CPU Overload message come on. The CPU, or Central Processing Unit, to my understanding is the work the computer is doing. Ableton overloaded my little 3.63 of RAM. When you are recording a guitar and using the computer's effects program, apparently it is a big drain.

Please point out any other mistakes I might have made so no one gets mislead.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 11-27-2016 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Mistake #1 to consider is .. going the DAW way if your goal is just to record your practicing.

Using a DAW definitely requires a non negligible learning process, time and money investment, specially if you want to make good quality recording. And a lot more if you wish to create your own backtracks.

Small mobile recorders like Zoom ones make it simpler, costing less than a laptop and an audio interface. Audio quality is good enough for practicing, and they can also be used to record band rehearsals or live events.

Backtrack can be played to appropriate external speakers, or into your amp speaker. Then you record it while playing guitar plugged in into your amp. You loose the ability to adjust levels later on, but with a bit of practice you quickly know what is OK.

Some loopers can also be used the same way, backtracks loaded into them before hand.

User Info Menu

I just record into an iPad - you need a guitar interface (I use the Line6 sonic port) but it allows easy multitracking, and Garageband lets you do a lot of things. I can't really record acoustic guitar to the iPad though, I would probably need another interface for a mic.

Or I record direct into a little KORG SOS recorder, it allows limited multitracking i.e. 2 or 3 tracks is simple to do. I can take a line out from my amp into it, if I want. The Korg also does a reasonable job recording acoustic guitar via its onboard mic. It also records off the amp speaker ok, though I haven't done this much.

In both cases I can pre-load it with a WAV file from BIAB or similar to create a backing track if I need it.

For final mixing/editing, adding reverb etc. I just export all the files into Audacity on my PC (each track is kept separate).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I just record into an iPad - you need a guitar interface (I use the Line6 sonic port) but it allows easy multitracking, and Garageband lets you do a lot of things. I can't really record acoustic guitar to the iPad though, I would probably need another interface for a mic.

Or I record direct into a little KORG SOS recorder, it allows limited multitracking i.e. 2 or 3 tracks is simple to do. I can take a line out from my amp into it, if I want. The Korg also does a reasonable job recording acoustic guitar via its onboard mic. It also records off the amp speaker ok, though I haven't done this much.

In both cases I can pre-load it with a WAV file from BIAB or similar to create a backing track if I need it.

For final mixing/editing, adding reverb etc. I just export all the files into Audacity on my PC (each track is kept separate).
    Grahambop,
    Do you use the Audicity program that came with BIAB?

User Info Menu

I went on Amazon and looked at the cost of laptops that have 6GB of RAM. All but one was well over $300.00. I was considering buying a new laptop just for music. I cannot justify the expense.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 11-28-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Found some cheaper ones

User Info Menu

Zoom H2 recorders are around $ 150 ... They even have a line input to which you can connect the line out of your amp if it's got one.

User Info Menu

The first step to avoid regrets in putting a recording system together is to list all the objectives you have for recording and from that derive some minimal requirements for equipment and software. If you just want to capture rehearsals keep something like a Zoom H2N in your gear bag and you're set. Portability, rapid setup, and ease of use are critical requirement for me, so a PC setup wouldn't be useful. PCs or laptops also seem like a lot of trouble to set up and troubleshoot, especially if they are used for other things and not dedicated to the studio.
    But I'm also interested in a more portable setup for recording up to 4 tracks. I'm considering something like the Zoom H6 for that.
    Last edited by KirkP; 11-28-2016 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Grahambop,
    Do you use the Audicity program that came with BIAB?
    No, my BIAB is several years old, I don't think it came with anything. I just downloaded Audacity from the web and have kept it reasonably up to date since. For reverb I use a VST plugin from Kjaerhuis. There are loads of things like that available for it on the web.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    The first step to avoid regrets in putting a recording system together is to list all the objectives you have for recording and from that derive some minimal requirements for equipment and software. If you just want to capture rehearsals keep something like a Zoom H2N in your gear bag and you're set. Portability, rapid setup, and ease of use are critical requirement for me, so a PC setup wouldn't be useful. PCs or laptops also seem like a lot of trouble to set up and troubleshoot, especially if they are used for other things and not dedicated to the studio.
    But I'm also interested in a more portable setup for recording up to 4 tracks. I'm considering something like the Zoom H6 for that.
    Assessing one's needs, as you and Matt said, is probably the most important part of the process. I used the Boss MicroBR and the Boss BR600 to record for years. But I wanted to be able to create good custom drum tracks and I also wanted better sound. These devices could only give me so much but are handy for most of my recording needs.

For the short term, I am recording my drum track on the Boss BR-600. I will then connect my computer to the BR-600 and will use the effects from that set up.

I can also use the effects from the EZ Mix 2 program on my computer for vocals and bass, and I can record keyboards directly into the BR-600. The BR-600 has six tracks to work with and you can combine tracks to free yourself up for adding more tracks.

As far as using the computer recording programs, the geeky nerd in me is driving that quest as much as need - maybe more.

User Info Menu

I went on Amazon and looked at the cost of laptops that have 6GB of RAM. All but one was well over $300.00. I was considering buying a new laptop just for music. I cannot justify the expense.
    RAM is fairly easily upgraded (on desktop, maybe not as easy on laptop). You just need to find out what type of RAM and how much of it your motherboard supports. The annoying thing about RAM is it may or may not be additive to what you already have. For example, if you have 4 RAM slots filled with 1gig RAM sticks, you might have to throw those away and purchase say 2 x 4gig sticks (or 4 x 2gig) in order to double your RAM. RAM can be a little finicky as well...like putting 2 different types of RAM can cause problems. I had a PC one time and if I used 2 sticks of RAM (instead of 4) I had to put them in slots 1 & 3, or my computer would crash in any other configuration, i.e. slots 1 & 2, or 2 & 4 would crash my system! The other thing that is critical with RAM is make sure you get the right speed. I put together a brand new system a few years back and accidentally purchased some RAM with a speed that my CPU did not support. My brand new system was getting the blue screen of death 10x a day (it still ran for an hour or two at a time) for 2 months before I finally figured out I had the wrong speed of RAM.

Anyways, don't let me scare you, as long as you look up your motherboard & cpu and what RAM they support, it should be easy. However, if your using a laptop it might not be. My cousin was running out of memory on his laptop and I suggested to him he should get some more RAM. But then we watched a YT video on how to change RAM on a laptop...and it was ridiculous...you had to dismantle the entire thing into about a dozen pieces in order to get to the RAM (with a desktop you may literally be able to just reach in, yank out the old and pop in the new in about 30 seconds, just make sure you pop the release lever first ;o)

User Info Menu

Creating good drum tracks is a lot of work, I just spent the whole day creating one and I probably need another day to polish it. Ended up with a headache !

Things are relatively quick for relatively simple tunes when one can use existing loops, audio or MIDI (That can be found, but that implies some more expenses). Unfortunately this drum track of today is for the Mr Kenyatta tune, a mix of Latin and Swing feel, plus lots of awkward fillins ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzen
    RAM is fairly easily upgraded (on desktop, maybe not as easy on laptop). You just need to find out what type of RAM and how much of it your motherboard supports. The annoying thing about RAM is it may or may not be additive to what you already have. For example, if you have 4 RAM slots filled with 1gig RAM sticks, you might have to throw those away and purchase say 2 x 4gig sticks (or 4 x 2gig) in order to double your RAM. RAM can be a little finicky as well...like putting 2 different types of RAM can cause problems. I had a PC one time and if I used 2 sticks of RAM (instead of 4) I had to put them in slots 1 & 3, or my computer would crash in any other configuration, i.e. slots 1 & 2, or 2 & 4 would crash my system! The other thing that is critical with RAM is make sure you get the right speed. I put together a brand new system a few years back and accidentally purchased some RAM with a speed that my CPU did not support. My brand new system was getting the blue screen of death 10x a day (it still ran for an hour or two at a time) for 2 months before I finally figured out I had the wrong speed of RAM.

Anyways, don't let me scare you, as long as you look up your motherboard & cpu and what RAM they support, it should be easy. However, if your using a laptop it might not be. My cousin was running out of memory on his laptop and I suggested to him he should get some more RAM. But then we watched a YT video on how to change RAM on a laptop...and it was ridiculous...you had to dismantle the entire thing into about a dozen pieces in order to get to the RAM (with a desktop you may literally be able to just reach in, yank out the old and pop in the new in about 30 seconds, just make sure you pop the release lever first ;o)
    Good information!

By the way, I have a computer geek buddy who agrees fully with your second paragraph. He built a couple of nice desktops for me a couple of years ago. He said with respect to RAM, laptops are so much harder to work with.

I will eventually bite the bullet and just spend more to get the necessary system requirements, should I have that need.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    Creating good drum tracks is a lot of work, I just spent the whole day creating one and I probably need another day to polish it. Ended up with a headache !

Things are relatively quick for relatively simple tunes when one can use existing loops, audio or MIDI (That can be found, but that implies some more expenses). Unfortunately this drum track of today is for the Mr Kenyatta tune, a mix of Latin and Swing feel, plus lots of awkward fillins ...
    You are NOT kidding about the work it takes!

That's why I went with drumming software that was a little on the easier side to work with. I have some nice drum tracks that I have created in only an hour or so of work. I use EZDrummer 2. I am sure there are other similar ones.

The only thing I have not figured out yet is how to create my own custom grooves to cut and paste into my original songs. This is on my to-do list for the near future.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 11-29-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: inserted "NOT" to correct my error

User Info Menu

Regarding RAM, I've always used the Crucial system scanner to select the correct RAM, and have never had a problem with their products. The price is right too. As a rule of thumb, I try to have at least double the RAM that my apps list as a minimum.
    Also, try to minimize the number of processes running in the background when you are recording since they take memory and can add to latency.
    Crucial.com
    Last edited by KirkP; 11-28-2016 at 09:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Here is an example of a help video for a DAW, in this case, the Ableton Live 9 program. He even uses the same audio interface that I have.

I followed this, and the other related videos step-by-step. But sound would come and go, and after awhile I finally figured out the problem with the lack of RAM (after a couple of hours of screwing with it! ).

Anyway, enough self-pity and hand-wringing about what could have been, here is part 3 of the Abelton video series:

Here is a video about the CPU indicator that perplexed me: