The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

I went through it on my monitor speakers, I disliked most of the sounds :-) Are there any results available, which was what?

I was pretty certain about what I liked and what I didn't like and I would be curious how this connects with tube/not tube. For me there is no replacement for tube amps when it comes to overdriven sounds. For clean jazz sounds I use transistors myself

There was also a RMS-level issue, I had to adjust the volume constantly - you might consider taking all these and bringing them to the same RMS-lever, otherwise the loudness may affect what we think we hear...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Personally, absolutely not. Not even for recording, let alone live setting. When I hear other people using modelers it might sound great, but it's th feel , or lack of it, when I'm playing through one is what I dont like. The issue of weight of a real tube amp is a problem, but there is still enough small analog alternatives I can use instead of going digital.
    i know what you mean. Rosenwinkel has no feel at all in his playing or sound <sarcasm>

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that it is human nature to be influenced by preconceived notions of what is best or what is cool. For those who like tubes, Gibson, Martin, BMW, etc, nothing else will do. Likewise for solid state amps, or anything else. The only true way to compare tubes to solid state is to play and listen through both with no knowledge of which is which.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith
    i know what you mean. Rosenwinkel has no feel at all in his playing or sound <sarcasm>
    Do you? What Rosenwinkel has to do with how I feel about digital amp technology? The answer: nothing.

User Info Menu

Do you? What Rosenwinkel has to do with how I feel about digital amp technology? The answer: nothing.
    Because you didn't just say it was how you feel. You stated that when you heard others play using digital tech there was a lack of feel. Rosenwinkel and Loueke are using digital amps and playing with the best players in NY. Odd that you notice the lack of feel but Herbie Hancock doesn't seem to mind...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith
    Because you didn't just say it was how you feel. You stated that when you heard others play using digital tech there was a lack of feel. Rosenwinkel and Loueke are using digital amps and playing with the best players in NY. Odd that you notice the lack of feel but Herbie Hancock doesn't seem to mind...
    One more time, let's read it together: "When I hear other people using modelers it might sound great, but it's th feel , or lack of it, when I'm playing through one is what I dont like." What I'm saying is I don't like the feel of a digital amp when I'm playing through it, while other people might sound great with it. Clear now, yes?

Btw, just like with Rosenwinkel, how Herbie feels about it doesn't concern me at all. Respect both players and love Herbie, but I do what's good for me.
    Last edited by Hep To The Jive; 07-15-2016 at 02:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Hep, how do you feel abut this matter?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Hey Hep, how do you feel abut this matter?

User Info Menu

*Snort*

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

User Info Menu

To the OP, yep, pretty much.

The only reason I keep my tube amps is the simplicity. When someone starts making GREAT modeling amps (not "decent," pretty much only Kemper and a few others sound "great") that don't have 36 knobs and a manual that looks like a copy of War and Peace, then I can replace them. But I don't want an amp that does 50 different things. Versatility is overrated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

The only reason I keep my tube amps is the simplicity. When someone starts making GREAT modeling amps (not "decent," pretty much only Kemper and a few others sound "great") that don't have 36 knobs and a manual that looks like a copy of War and Peace, then I can replace them. But I don't want an amp that does 50 different things. Versatility is overrated.
    I've got a couple of friends in cover bands who play Line6 amps. Because of what they're doing, they need a lot of different sounds. (If you're going to be playing Pink Floyd and AC/DC at the same gig, you need some flexibility).

For me, I just want a good clear voice. I want to sound like me. If I need to sound like Angus Young, then maybe I'll get a modeler.

User Info Menu

I don't want an amp that does 50 different things. Versatility is overrated.
    Perhaps that us part of the appeal of the new Blues Cube amp. While it is not truly a modeling amp in terms of replicating specific amps, it does behave very much like a tube amp. It is also very simple to operate just like a tube amp. It doesn't have the power of a Twin, but in this day of PA systems few people truly need a Twin. And at 35 lbs or less depending on the model it is a very good option.

User Info Menu

I can tell you that the Kemper is practically plug-and-play, you adjust it like he would adjust any amp. The knobs work the same way, there's even a "presence" knob. The EQ's are easy to find .

In the space of one afternoon, you can get pretty easily familiar with it.

The only thing is, are most people here going to use the hundreds, even thousands, of amps available? No of course not, most of them suck . That's not a reflection of the amp, but indicative of most of the bozos out there playing Rock guitar today.

That said, I have about 50 presets I can always use for variety.

The Fact that I was able to profile my friend's carr rambler and Allesandro bloodhound amp, both tube amps that cost in the thousands of dollars, The thing has already paid for itself

The Axe Fx 2- I have heard that there is a much steeper Learning curve with this one. That would probably take a long time to dial-in correctly. .

Whatever they come out with the Axe FX three, I'll be on board with that one . I hope they actually do, but I don't know what the timetable is.

User Info Menu

I'll have to come by and try it some day, as right now I'm counting at least 15 knobs and 30-odd buttons...

But I do think Kemper and it's ilk are the future. They've really changed the game, and it's a great thing imho.

User Info Menu

I work in the computer field, but somehow love the simplicity of just plugging straight in a tube amp with minimal knobs adjustment and immediately get a good tone. I am kind of a lazy guy when it comes to endlessly tweak settings and hate to spend more time dialing something than playing. The Cube vs the Fender Mustang is pretty much a good example of why I went for the former...
    Less is more for me when it comes to music equipment and I also think versatility is overrated.
    Since I am curious I did however play a bit with with VST amp sim, impulses and all that and I admit there is a huge potential in that along with high end modellers like Kemper and AxeFX.
    Lately, I just got back to tube amp with a great little Princeton after years of playing modelling stuff and computer based amp sims and the thing I immediately recognize with tube is the dynamic and response to my playing. I had forgotten how much a tube amp can be much less forgiving but there is a nice interaction I feel missing in at least the modelling I tried so far.