Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Does anyone know where I can find jazz oriented impulse responses for cabs like Polytone, Raezer's Edge, Henriken, Redstone etc. I have looked extensively but have not been successful finding any. I have some nice IRs from the likes of Ownhammer, Redwirez and Rosen but no "Jazz" Cab IRs.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu


  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I would LOVE to have some... I loe all my IRs (Ownhammer, Redwirez, TAF) but would really like to see someone do some jazz cabs - specially old Polytones.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the Two-Notes people sell IR cab files at their store. I don't know very much about them and in particular, I am not sure if they work only with Two-Notes software and/or hardware.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    I don't think there's a market for "Jazz" IRs.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    I don't think there's a market for "Jazz" IRs.
    I would say there is a market, but it's Jazz so it's too small for the time and resources for the potential profit.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NoReply
    I would say there is a market, but it's Jazz so it's too small for the time and resources for the potential profit.
    No money, no market.

    Unless I'm missing something...?

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    The jazz market for any product is small. The jazz marker for IRs should be ridiculously small... very few jazzers use digital rigs.

    Saying this it would be very simple for any company like TAF or Ownhammer or Redwirez to grab an 80s Poly and some shots...

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    I am happy to announce that I am offering guitar cab ir packs in WAV format here: Products | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab


    Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 1: LaVie 2X12 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection is based upon a Norlin-Gibson-Moog Lab Series L5 with 2X12 cabinet. 3 mic positions using 17 mics captured both with the secret reference power amp as well as using Mic+Di method. 6 mono Choice mixes, 6 stereo Choice mixes, 6 mono HypeReal mixes, & 6 stereo HypeReal mixes.


    Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 2: ALOHA 1X6 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection is based upon a vintage 1959 re-branded version of the Supro® 1606, also made by Valco®, manufactured for the Oahu Publishing Company of Cleveland Ohio. This cabinet included the original 6 inch Jensen® Blue Label Special Design speaker. 3 mic positions using 17 mics captured both with the secret reference power amp as well as using Mic+Di method. 6 Choice mixes & 6 HypeReal mixes.

    These may be easily used in a jazz context, especially the L5.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Whats the speaker on the L5?

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    I get a lot of use out of the JC120, EVM12L and EV12L from Redwirez. The EV speakers in my Peterson and Mark III are warm and clean.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Whats the speaker on the L5?
    The L5 was loaded with the stock proprietary speakers that came new from Norlin/Gibson at the time of first sale.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    I am trying to track one down in decent shape to borrow or rent. It is very challenging to say the least.

    If you know anybody in the Southern New York or Northern New Jersey area with one available to borrow or rent, then please send them my way.

    Thanks again for considering my wares.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    I'm quite interested in the L5 IRs, if I buy it I'll do a proper jazz demo for you

    Well, I'm in Lisbon but there are so many players here who are from the US and have Polytones. Why not starting your own thread? I bet there are people here who are generous enough to lend you one just for the IRs.

    I'm not sure you saw this thread, but quite a few people are or will be enjoying polytone preamp pedals, all they need is the cab IRs

    Polytone in a Pedal

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I'm quite interested in the L5 IRs, if I buy it I'll do a proper jazz demo for you
    That would be absolutely fantastic to hear your demo.

    I have some cabs already lined up for sessions for the next few weeks, but I think I may have a line on a Polytone in my area. If it's in good condition and I can borrow it, I'll let you know.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Great, we'll keep talking - I'll keep you posted on the demo and you on the Poly IRs. You really can't imagine how happy you would make if you could get old Polys impulses!

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Hi again George,

    I have great news!!

    The past couple or weeks, I was hard at work capturing and fine tuning this collection of cabinet impulse responses for guitar and bass based upon a Polytone Mini Brute II from the 1980's. Cab features an original, in excellent shape, Polytone 1X12 proprietary speaker.


    17 mics used in 3 ideal positions each (56 total single mic capture files per sample rate/file format). HypeReal mixes with PZM and 9 choice mixes without PZM. 6 Fractal preset/cab combos.


    Available in Fractal UR & standad syx format, WAV file format (variety of sample rates/bit depths), or a combo pack of both here: Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 4: POLY 1X12 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab


    Here's a demo where I play both guitar and bass using the ir's and one of the presets in the collection.



    Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.


    Cheers,
    Dr B

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Amazing!!

    I'm buying and testing them today.

    THANKS!!

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Amazing!!

    I'm buying and testing them today.

    THANKS!!
    Awesome Jorge, looking foward to your evaluation, if it gets any close to the real thing i hope its possible to unite anyone and all who wants participate, dime in and persuade Dr.B to to a poly package with pre sonic circuit impulses - baby (8"), teeny (10"), mini (12" and 15").

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    How Deep Is The Ocean - Bonkers Polytone IR.wav - Google Drive

    Here's a small clip. It's not mastered, LANDR was adding a lot of noise, no idea why. I had to change the EQ on my rig but I really like these IRs, they sound quite different from regular guitar cab IRs, and it makes my rig a lot closer to a Polytone.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    How Deep Is The Ocean - Bonkers Polytone IR.wav - Google Drive

    Here's a small clip. It's not mastered, LANDR was adding a lot of noise, no idea why. I had to change the EQ on my rig but I really like these IRs, they sound quite different from regular guitar cab IRs, and it makes my rig a lot closer to a Polytone.
    Very cool, Jorge!

    Do you mind if I feature your comments and clip on my site?

    Did you use single mic ir's, your own ir mix, the choice ir mixes, or the HypeReal ir mixes?

    With my monitoring situation and having the actual amp in the same room to a/b against, the 414 HypeReal mix was a clone of the real amp I was able to procure. The other ir's were what I would call "engineering interpretations" one would make of the instrument/amp to situate well in a live or recording mix.

    I ask these questions as I am curious. Different players find each type of ir capture I do more "real" representations of a given cab based on which ir loader, amp or amp sim, and monitoring situation they use.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzmus
    Awesome Jorge, looking foward to your evaluation, if it gets any close to the real thing i hope its possible to unite anyone and all who wants participate, dime in and persuade Dr.B to to a poly package with pre sonic circuit impulses - baby (8"), teeny (10"), mini (12" and 15").
    If someone has access to the 8", 10", and 15" Polytone combos and lives in the southern New York or Northern NJ area ((USA), then I will trade that person ir files for the ability to borrow the combos for a couple of days per combo in order to capture impulse responses of the cabs in my work space. Please contact me on my site for more details.

    If you live farther than and would be willing to ship me the combo back and forth at your cost, I would be willing to make the same arrangement.

    The current challenge I have is I can find no sound reinforcement place or friend in my area that has any of the other sizes of Polytone combo for rent. Without a good example, it is impossible for me to make ir's of the desired cabinet/speaker combo.

    Regarding capturing the sonic circuit as isolated ir's, this generally does not turn out well in my experience as no matter how many step variations one captures of the tone pots in altering the signal, there is usually a magical combination in between setting that one wishes the person captured. That part is kind of a rabbit hole for the player as much as capturing 12 or 18 positions of a given mic on a given cabinet. After a bit of time, you lose all sense of perspective.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bonkers
    Very cool, Jorge!

    Do you mind if I feature your comments and clip on my site?

    Did you use single mic ir's, your own ir mix, the choice ir mixes, or the HypeReal ir mixes?

    With my monitoring situation and having the actual amp in the same room to a/b against, the 414 HypeReal mix was a clone of the real amp I was able to procure. The other ir's were what I would call "engineering interpretations" one would make of the instrument/amp to situate well in a live or recording mix.

    I ask these questions as I am curious. Different players find each type of ir capture I do more "real" representations of a given cab based on which ir loader, amp or amp sim, and monitoring situation they use.
    It's the M160 / SM81 mix, not sure if the Choice Mix or the Hype Real... I need to connet the Amplifire to the PC to solve the mystery

    Please, use the clips and comments. I hope to do more clips soon, my last few days were busy and it took me quite a while to adjust the eq to fit these new IRs, I only achieved what I wanted yesterday, later in the evening. I hope to play and record more in the next few days!

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bonkers
    If someone has access to the 8", 10", and 15" Polytone combos and lives in the southern New York or Northern NJ area ((USA), then I will trade that person ir files for the ability to borrow the combos for a couple of days per combo in order to capture impulse responses of the cabs in my work space. Please contact me on my site for more details.

    If you live farther than and would be willing to ship me the combo back and forth at your cost, I would be willing to make the same arrangement.

    The current challenge I have is I can find no sound reinforcement place or friend in my area that has any of the other sizes of Polytone combo for rent. Without a good example, it is impossible for me to make ir's of the desired cabinet/speaker combo.

    Regarding capturing the sonic circuit as isolated ir's, this generally does not turn out well in my experience as no matter how many step variations one captures of the tone pots in altering the signal, there is usually a magical combination in between setting that one wishes the person captured. That part is kind of a rabbit hole for the player as much as capturing 12 or 18 positions of a given mic on a given cabinet. After a bit of time, you lose all sense of perspective.
    I do hope someone sees this and can lend you the amps - I would love more Polytone files I think what jazzmus meant is for you to find old Polys cabs (pre sonic circuit) to do these new files - older ones are regarded as better sonding!

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I do hope someone sees this and can lend you the amps - I would love more Polytone files I think what jazzmus meant is for you to find old Polys cabs (pre sonic circuit) to do these new files - older ones are regarded as better sonding!
    Yes exactly Jorge, ill contact the Dr. about this next week to sort the details and likely ask forumites here to hopefully help get him hooked up with various models, outta def be plenty polytones in his region/area, im in Denmark so im kinda restrained.
    I gotta say so far that for a virtual cab that it sounds the closest to a poly I've heard besides the real deal irl and it would great fun help make it happen.