Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Yes, let's make it happen!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmus
    Yes exactly Jorge, ill contact the Dr. about this next week to sort the details and likely ask forumites here to hopefully help get him hooked up with various models, outta def be plenty polytones in his region/area, im in Denmark so im kinda restrained.
    I gotta say so far that for a virtual cab that it sounds the closest to a poly I've heard besides the real deal irl and it would great fun help make it happen.
    That's awesome to hear and thanks for the feedback.

I would love to help you out as a community if someone can get me access to the cabs.

I have been able to clone a variety of cabs with my gear and techniques, so I am pretty confident I could do the same with these.

User Info Menu

Definitely following this thread!!!

User Info Menu

I'm following this thread as well. The jazz market may be small but not entirely insignificant. More and more jazz guitarists are turning to modeling amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I'm following this thread as well. The jazz market may be small but not entirely insignificant. More and more jazz guitarists are turning to modeling amps.
    We are? They are? Who are?

I recall Jack Zucker and Jorge on this forum and am probably forgetting others who have talked about their digital modeling rigs. I even sometimes do some cheap-and-cheerful modeling type stuff myself using my Zoom MS100BT pedal with a powered speaker, when I want a really convenient way to go to a PA; for most gigs, though, it's a lot easier to just bring a combo that sounds like what I want the modeled rig to sound like- setup is half the time. Of course, I am also not using more than one sound, I lean towards the Jim Hall school of tone to a very great extent.

Thus far I am not aware of many- if any- well-known/"famous" players using modeling (although Metheny might, he seems like the most likely). That is more of a comment on my awareness than on the use of these devices, I suspect. At least in all the videos I see filmed recently, I am still seeing Fender amps of various types primarily, and some boutique type amps like AI, Henriksen, etc. But I am not seeing jazz guitarists with Elevens, Amplifires, etc. I must be watching the wrong vids!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    We are? They are? Who are?

I recall Jack Zucker and Jorge on this forum and am probably forgetting others who have talked about their digital modeling rigs. I even sometimes do some cheap-and-cheerful modeling type stuff myself using my Zoom MS100BT pedal with a powered speaker, when I want a really convenient way to go to a PA; for most gigs, though, it's a lot easier to just bring a combo that sounds like what I want the modeled rig to sound like- setup is half the time. Of course, I am also not using more than one sound, I lean towards the Jim Hall school of tone to a very great extent.

Thus far I am not aware of many- if any- well-known/"famous" players using modeling (although Metheny might, he seems like the most likely). That is more of a comment on my awareness than on the use of these devices, I suspect. At least in all the videos I see filmed recently, I am still seeing Fender amps of various types primarily, and some boutique type amps like AI, Henriksen, etc. But I am not seeing jazz guitarists with Elevens, Amplifires, etc. I must be watching the wrong vids!
    Here are two to check out:

User Info Menu

Holdsworth is hardly mainstream, and Mitchell sounds...well....distorted.

Sound more like rawk stuff to my ears.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the IRs, i will check them out..i play jazz and have been using Fractal AxeFX since 09.

How about Kurt Rosenwinkle? He uses Fractal audio and Kemper.
    Last edited by jazzgtrl4; 05-21-2017 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

what does being famous have to do with anything?

User Info Menu

As for players who use modelling... on the forum, besides me and Jack, FrankLearns uses a Kemper, I believe Henry uses an Axe-FX, and a few more have mentioned using modelling that I don't recall now. Still, a minority...

As for pros - Kurt Rosenwinkel and Tim Miller are the only ones I remember... Jens Larsen uses an Axe-FX on Youtube too. Again, still a minority!

User Info Menu

Thanks to all of you for the great thread and your input. Also thanks for the Poly-IR, definitely thinking of getting it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jezeline
    Thanks to all of you for the great thread and your input. Also thanks for the Poly-IR, definitely thinking of getting it
    New Demo posted here from another satisfied customer using the files:
    Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 4: POLY 1X12 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab

User Info Menu

Here's something else that may interest all of you.

Not often does one get to capture cabinets that were hand selected by a jazz legend such as Rufus Reid for a world renowned program like William Paterson University of NJ Jazz Studies program. Professor Reid selected these cabs to replace the Polytone 102 cabs for the guitar and bass players that were in need of constant repairs by the mid 1990's.

I was lucky enough that my alma mater let me borrow these cabs to capture at the Soundlab:

• WMAN 1Based upon a 1995 Pre-Fender® SWR® Workingman's 12
      Combo™ 1 X 12 plus tweeter Bass Amp Cabinet, which included the original 1X12
      Celestion® K12T-200™ proprietary speaker and SWR® tweeter that was used by
      guitarists and bassists.
    • WMAN 2Based upon a 2003 Fender®-era SWR® Workingman's 12
      Combo™ 1 X 12 plus tweeter Bass Amp Cabinet. which included the original 1X12
      Fender® unlabelled proprietary speaker and SWR® tweeter that was used by
      guitarists and bassists.

Between the two cabs there are 10 cab mixes, 216 single mics based on 3 positions of 17 mices. For people that invest in the Combo pack or Fractal pack, there are 6 presets that illustrate different amp/cab mix and effects pairings.

More details, pictures, and demos, here: Dr Bonkers Bass Cab Classics Volume 8: WMAN 1+2 1X12 Bass Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab

User Info Menu

Perhaps this will interest you, I just captured a mid-1970's Polytone Pro Series 1X15 & 2X8 cab with all original drivers.

Details photos and clips may be found here: Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 6: POLY 1X15 + 2X8 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab

User Info Menu

Hey Dr. Bonkers, I bought the Polytone 1x12 awhile back. Any chance of adding 88khz files to the set?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Hey Dr. Bonkers, I bought the Polytone 1x12 awhile back. Any chance of adding 88khz files to the set?
    I have added 88.2 KHz in 2 different bit depths to both of these cab packs now:

Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 4: POLY 1X12 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab
    Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 6: POLY 1X15 + 2X8 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab

If you registered with my site, then you should be able to download the expanded versions of the cab packs that you previously purchased for free.

I highly encourage those that liked the 1X12 to try the 1X15+2X8.

They are not that many good original Polytones that I have had access to record IR files from, so I hope those users that like Polytone IR files do take advantage of both cab packs.

More patronage allows me the possibility to track down more variant Polytones or other jazz amps in decent shape, such as this one whose 88.2 KHz files have not been added yet (probably in the next couple of days):

Dr Bonkers Bass Cab Classics Volume 8: WMAN 1+2 1X12 Bass Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab

Please click on the tabs and pull down menus on my site for more info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bonkers
    I have added 88.2 KHz in 2 different bit depths to both of these cab packs now:

Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-OdditiesImpulse response files for jazz cabs Volume 4: POLY 1X12 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab
    Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-OdditiesImpulse response files for jazz cabs Volume 6: POLY 1X15 + 2X8 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab

If you registered with my site, then you should be able to download the expanded versions of the cab packs that you previously purchased for free.

I highly encourage those that liked the 1X12 to try the 1X15+2X8.

They are not that many good original Polytones that I have had access to record IR files from, so I hope those users that like Polytone IR files do take advantage of both cab packs.

More patronage allows me the possibility to track down more variant Polytones or other jazz amps in decent shape, such as this one whose 88.2 KHz files have not been added yet (probably in the next couple of days):

Dr Bonkers Bass Cab Classics Volume 8: WMAN 1+2 1X12 Bass Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Sound Lab

Please click on the tabs and pull down menus on my site for more info.
    Thanks Doctor B!

User Info Menu

Glad to help.

BTW: The SWR now has 88.2 KHz files posted as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmi3
    Does anyone know where I can find jazz oriented impulse responses for cabs like Polytone, Raezer's Edge, Henriken, Redstone etc. I have looked extensively but have not been successful finding any. I have some nice IRs from the likes of Ownhammer, Redwirez and Rosen but no "Jazz" Cab IRs.
    to me the ownhammer JBL, EV12L and SRO cabs sound way better than the so called "jazz" cabs. The real jazz cabs were the cabs of yesteryear and the ownhammers capture those. They also have celestion gold and a mismatched matchless 2x12 that sound great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    to me the ownhammer JBL, EV12L and SRO cabs sound way better than the so called "jazz" cabs. The real jazz cabs were the cabs of yesteryear and the ownhammers capture those. They also have celestion gold and a mismatched matchless 2x12 that sound great.
    I don't find any record that you purchased & tried my files.

Did you actually use them? I am asking because I am just curious if you did try my files and found something lacking in them.

User Info Menu

I don't find any record that you purchased & tried my files.

Did you actually use them? I am asking because I am just curious if you did try my files and found something lacking in them.
    No, i never downloaded or tried your files. All I saw of yours was the polytone cabs and I'm not interested nor have I cared too much for polytone cabs. They were flimsy constructed with very inexpensive speakers. The only polytone I really liked was one where I replaced the speaker with a JBL. Even though the JBL was a much higher impedance, it was so much more efficient that it sounded great!

I purchased the ownhammer IRs and love them. I wasn't replying to you but was just pointing out to the OP that the ownhammer cabs sound great for jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I own the following OH offering:

212-GTR MAR-66 Multi-Speaker Collection - $49.99 : OwnHammer.com - Store

My favorites are, depending what kind of tone I'm asked for (I collaborate with a recording studio doing mostly jingles and ambient music for tv series and soap operas), are the following:
    * Altec 417
    * EVM-S
    * ALN-SLV
    * G65-RI

I normally use the Low Gain Mix, even using OD, which is actually very seldom.

I've built a specific preset of a vintage plexi setup using Behringer V-Amp 3's Brit Classic model with the Mid Gain Mix of the G65-RI speaker, loaded into Scuffham Amps S-Gear Pro Convolver as a plug-in, bypassing the amps and fx section, to play '70s Classic Rock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    I own the following OH offering:

212-GTR MAR-66 Multi-Speaker Collection - $49.99 : OwnHammer.com - Store

My favorites are, depending what kind of tone I'm asked for (I collaborate with a recording studio doing mostly jingles and ambient music for tv series and soap operas), are the following:
    * Altec 417
    * EVM-S
    * ALN-SLV
    * G65-RI

I normally use the Low Gain Mix, even using OD, which is actually very seldom.

I've built a specific preset of a vintage plexi setup using Behringer V-Amp 3's Brit Classic model with the Mid Gain Mix of the G65-RI speaker, loaded into Scuffham Amps S-Gear Pro Convolver as a plug-in, bypassing the amps and fx section, to play '70s Classic Rock.
    Once S-Gear has a better interface for managing large numbers of third-party IRs I’m going to have to check this pack out. How many GB of disk space does that beast use?

User Info Menu

Releasing now is the Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 25: POLY101 1X15+2X8 Guitar Cab IR pack based upon 1980 Polytone® Model 101™ 1X15+2X8 Bass & Guitar Amp Combo. This cabinet included 1 CTS® 15 inch and two 8 inch speakers manufactured in USA. Available in Fractal Audio file and various WAV file formats.

As usual there are sound clips and pictures on my site (the first two clips really show how this cab shines at opposite ends of the tonal spectrum). Click on the pull down menus and pop out tabs (words with a grey background) for lots of info including history and famous players who used such a cab. If English is not your first language, click on the translate button at the top of my site for many language options.

Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 25: POLY101 1X15 + 2X8 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Soundlab LLC™

Releasing now is the Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 25: POLY101 1X15+2X8 Guitar Cab IR pack based upon 1980 Polytone® Model 101™ 1X15+2X8 Bass & Guitar Amp Combo. This cabinet included 1 CTS® 15 inch and two 8 inch speakers manufactured in USA. Available in Fractal Audio file and various WAV file formats.

As usual there are sound clips and pictures on my site (the first two clips really show how this cab shines at opposite ends of the tonal spectrum). Click on the pull down menus and pop out tabs (words with a grey background) for lots of info including history and famous players who used such a cab. If English is not your first language, click on the translate button at the top of my site for many language options.

Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 25: POLY101 1X15 + 2X8 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection | Dr. Bonkers Soundlab LLC™
    Purchased! I have (and really like) the other two Dr Bonkers Polytone packs and can't wait to check these out.