The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

This is probably a noob question so please bear with.

I'm thinking of taking an amp head on a trade. It's a DV Mark Maragold, which will sound good, I think. But one way I'd like to use it is for recording, but I'd rather not always have to mic a cab. I see there is no line level out of any kind. Is there a simple way to drop the signal so I can go from the amp to a sound card?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Thomas, not a noob question at all. The best way, other than mic'ing your cab, is to use this gadget:

I play with a guy who uses one and he swears by it being the best way to get his DRRI into his computer.

I've never tried it, and I use my UA Apollo Twin to get my guitar tones into my Mac, but I guess this Mesa box apparently does a pretty good job.

-C

User Info Menu

Thank you for the answer! The only problem with that is I wasn't looking to spend $300 to accomplish this. It's a nice solution, though.

User Info Menu

Ah, the other thing I forgot to say is that they are routinely for sale at Reverb for $200 used.

I think there are more flexible ways to get good guitar tone into a DAW, but they are more expensive and are still not your amp's tone. I think the UA Apollo is the bee's knees but that's $740 just to get started and then $$$ for more plugins once you start playing with them.

I now take the Apollo output into my Vibrolux. It's awesome having my guitar go into a Neve preamp and BX20 springreverb and then out to my Vibro through 2x12 JBL D123s.

Alas ;-)

-Chris

User Info Menu

Those Apollo's look awesome! After all that, why would you go out to an amp? I'd think the amp is superfluous at that point...

I'll think about my situation. I haven't done the trade yet. I like the amp, but maybe it just doesn't fit what I need right now.

User Info Menu

The only reason I patch the Apollo out to the Vibrolux is because:

1. I can ;-)

2. Sometimes I want more volume or more punch (just more amp feel) than my studio monitors give. I have JBL LSR4328P monitors -- they are nice, but they are not a 2x12 cab with vintage JBLs.

3. I can drive a hotter signal into the Vibrolux (set with flat EQ and reverb bypassed) at a lower volume in the room by using the UA's preamps (or guitar pedal or amp sims if I want, but I don't really love those).

4. I can use the Tremolo on the Vibrolux.

5. I love the sound of pretty much anything through my 2x12 Pinetone cab with aforementioned JBL D123s.

The problem with the Apollo is that it really is a gateway drug. You will want nice (or nicer) studio monitors, more UA DSP hardware, more plugins, etc. However, after 20 years around digital audio never have I seen something more elegant and powerful than the Apollo.

Like the music we play, if it sounds good it is good. The Apollo sounds awesome!

User Info Menu

My friend, I like your style.

User Info Menu

This is a question as much as an answer but aren't there DI boxes for under $100 that will work? I'm using a $69 + tax
    Art mp tube preamp (one 12ax7) to go direct. It functions as a DI but maybe you wouldn't want another tube in the chain if you're using a tube head. Whirlwind and others make DI boxes for under 50 bucks.
    btw that Mesa Cabclone looks interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-IMP2.../dp/B0002DUQ72

User Info Menu

No, I wouldn't want a preamp, but that Whirlwind looks promising. Thanks!

User Info Menu

A DI box just takes an unbalanced signal and converts it to balanced. That won't do:

"But one way I'd like to use it is for recording, but I'd rather not always have to mic a cab"
    A DI box won't take the output of your amp and get it into your DAW. A DI box will take your guitar's 1/4" unbalanced output and convert to match the impedence of a balanced XLR signal. Instruments like bass and keys do this so that they can patch directly into mixing boards.

The only device that I know that will present a proper speaker load to your amp and then output that signal for a DAW is that Mesa thing.

I did have a cool Fargen-modified Fender X2 that had USB out. Connecting that to a DAW was cool in that you could get the DSP pre-amp tones into the computer easily but still the tube power tones was absent. That's what the Mesa thing is cool at doing, actually capturing the real tone from your amp.

-Chris
    Last edited by h1pst3r88; 05-06-2016 at 10:18 AM. Reason: more typos!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by h1pst3r88
    A DI box just takes an unbalanced signal and converts it to balanced. That won't do:

A DI box won't take the output of your amp and get it into your DAW. A DI box will take your guitar's 1/4" unbalanced output and convert to match the impedence of a balanced XLR signal. Instruments like bass and keys do this so that they can patch directly into mixing boards.

The only device that I know that will present a speaker load to and then output that signal for a DAW is that Mesa thing.

I did have a cool Fargen-modified Fender X2 that had USB out. Connecting that to a DAW was cool in that you could get the DSP pre-amp tones into the computer easily but still the tune power tones was absent. That's what the Mesa thing is cool at doing, actually capturing the real tone from your amp.

-Chris
    I see. There's not a lot of info on Amazon. I saw high impedance input and got hopeful.

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

It all started so innocently...

Amp head to line level-img_20160506_102408237_hdr-jpg

User Info Menu

Whoa! Forget about the gizmos, is that a Yamaha 1200 whatever? Solid? I have an eBay search set up for those, but whenever they come up, it's never the right time. Alas again.

We seem to have a lot in common, Chris. :-)

Oh, the studio is great, too.

User Info Menu

Yes, I had that same AE1200S search up forever!!!

I got so lucky just recently when a local guy decided to sell the blond that you see. Little did I know it was the same AE that fellow forum member electricfactory owned ;-)

Small world... AWESOME guitar!

Except for a comparison, I haven't really played my Seventy Seven Stork Jazz since getting the AE ;-0

-C

User Info Menu

It's the same price, but the following seems to do something similar, though probably not as guitaristicly:

http://www.tedweber.com/mass

User Info Menu

I've heard great things about the 77s. Interesting to know your comparison. Thanks!

User Info Menu

The old Allan holdsworth harness and the commercially produced " juice extractor" were designed with this purpose in mind
    cheers

User Info Menu

The only device that I know that will present a proper speaker load to your amp and then output that signal for a DAW is that Mesa thing.

I did have a cool Fargen-modified Fender X2 that had USB out. Connecting that to a DAW was cool in that you could get the DSP pre-amp tones into the computer easily but still the tube power tones was absent. That's what the Mesa thing is cool at doing, actually capturing the real tone from your amp.

-Chris
    I don't think it outputs for a DAW. It's outputs are all analogue. You'd still need an Analogue-Digital converter of some kind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I don't think it outputs for a DAW. It's outputs are all analogue. You'd still need an Analogue-Digital converter of some kind.
    That is certainly correct. I'm trying to get the amp into my converter! I think that was understood in Chris's post.

User Info Menu

The thing that is nipping at my heels lately is the Atomic Amplifire...

If I could truly be sold that the clean Fender tone could convince me (and I think it can), that box into my Apollo Twin would be sublime.

User Info Menu

So, an amp emulator going into an Apollo going into an amp... :-)

User Info Menu

I know... I need to get out more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furtom
    This is probably a noob question so please bear with.

I'm thinking of taking an amp head on a trade. It's a DV Mark Maragold, which will sound good, I think. But one way I'd like to use it is for recording, but I'd rather not always have to mic a cab. I see there is no line level out of any kind. Is there a simple way to drop the signal so I can go from the amp to a sound card?

Check out the GuitarWank Podcasts with Scott Henderson and Bruce Forman. Scott talks about his home setup for practicing and it's same type of setup: amp with a speaker load box into his computer. He talks about it in a couple podcasts.

Also the GuitarWank podcast are a lot of cool guitar info and very funny.

Podcast ? GuitarWank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoReply
    Check out the GuitarWank Podcasts with Scott Henderson and Bruce Forman. Scott talks about his home setup for practicing and it's same type of setup: amp with a speaker load box into his computer. He talks about it in a couple podcasts.

Also the GuitarWank podcast are a lot of cool guitar info and very funny.

Podcast ? GuitarWank
    Hey, looks great. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I know... I need to get out more.
    Well, you did call it a gateway drug, after all...