Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    test

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Patriots2006 View Post
    test


    I say desktop.
    Well? Did I pass?
    David

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    Well? Did I pass?
    Scores will be posted at 2pm on Friday outside the band room.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NoReply View Post
    Scores will be posted at 2pm on Friday outside the band room.
    Hmmm, the last thing the teacher said to me was "Not quite my tempo."
    Should I be concerned?
    David

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    Hmmm, the last thing the teacher said to me was "Not quite my tempo."
    Should I be concerned?
    David
    Depends, did a cymbal suddenly appear at your feet?

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NoReply View Post
    Depends, did a cymbal suddenly appear at your feet?
    A very small one. I think it was mostly cymbolic.

    David

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    this is the best thread I've ever seen

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NoReply View Post
    Depends, did a cymbal suddenly appear at your feet?
    Kind of like what happened to this poor kid:
    Last edited by orri; 05-03-2016 at 06:21 PM.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by orri View Post
    Kind of like what happened to this poor kid:
    That is going to haunt me, and I'm not even the person it happened too.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by orri View Post
    Kind of like what happened to this poor kid:

    The look on that kids face was great and the girl played bass drum couldn't stop laughing.


    I had an experience not quite so bad in middle school beginning band. I got stuck playing tuba and were doing the end of semester music show for parents. Our turn to play and there was these cheap plywood risers and I was at the top level, were setting up and somehow the heavy tuba mouthpiece falls out and bam on the riser, then rolls down to the new and Bam again, and then roll of that to the last riser BAM!!! Everyone looking including the band I have to put the tuba bank in the stand and walk down all the risers get the mouthpiece and walk back up. Everyone is snickering, so I put the mouthpiece back in and give it the biggest whack I could, that thing was never going to come out again. Then I get the evil eye from the band teacher, but at that point I could care less. lets play.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by orri View Post
    Kind of like what happened to this poor kid:
    Sums up my career perfectly. I was too dumb for jazz so I joined the Navy.
    Salute!

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Well look at that. A thread with no in-fighting. Just kidding. I was unable to respond to threads on this computer and had a tech guy here who was helping me figure out what was happening. I got side tracked and wasn't able to enter my actual post.
    My home computer recently took a crap after owning it for less than 4 years. I was thinking of switching to a laptop for recording instead of a desktop. I have a podxt and a Tascam 2x2 audio interface. Currently using realband.
    Wondering what others prefer and why?

    And by the way: everyone failed the test

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    If you are planning on building a studio that you will have for a long time it is beneficial to get a desktop so you can upgrade components as needed. For your average small scale home studio I'd say go for a laptop - more useful in general being portable. Most modern laptops have more than enough juice to run a DAW/interface. Just get at least 8 gigs of ram and a decent processor.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    I got a desktop a little while ago and I thought it had plenty of everything to last me a long time. Then I found out about software updates that don't work on hardware that's older than a certain age. Updates that won't work on OS's beyond a certain point. Sheesh.
    Somehow I've got to make more money with my computer so I can buy/justify another one after a little while! Plus, the laptops are able to do more than I could dream of a few years ago.
    THAT's why computer companies have an endless resources for development.
    Now I've gone from a desktop I can grow with to a laptop I can carry and replace in a few.
    Life was better as a neolithic luddite.
    David

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Maude is the desktop, Bunny is the laptop.

    I think it's a question of mobility. Either one can ruin your life easy enough.
    Make a call...

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Patriots2006 View Post
    Well look at that. A thread with no in-fighting. Just kidding. I was unable to respond to threads on this computer and had a tech guy here who was helping me figure out what was happening. I got side tracked and wasn't able to enter my actual post.
    My home computer recently took a crap after owning it for less than 4 years. I was thinking of switching to a laptop for recording instead of a desktop. I have a podxt and a Tascam 2x2 audio interface. Currently using realband.
    Wondering what others prefer and why?

    And by the way: everyone failed the test
    Four years, according to Apple that is the time you are supposed to buy a new computer, for reference Apple says three years for a smartphone. Planned-obsolescence isn't that the term the car industry runs on???

    My desktop died a couple years ago and since not doing ProTools work anymore I've have stuck to living on my laptops. In general laptops are okay, but cost more, harder to upgrade over time, they keep putting fewer ports on them, then the small screen. Most the time my main laptop is connected to a big monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse so almost like having a desktop except for the slower CPU, less RAM, and fewer ports. I've need to get something new my one laptop is really starting to show its age, and I'm thinking of replacing with a desktop computer I want to do more recording and think desktop gives me more options and upgrade-ability over time.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NoReply View Post
    Four years, according to Apple that is the time you are supposed to buy a new computer, for reference Apple says three years for a smartphone. Planned-obsolescence isn't that the term the car industry runs on???

    My desktop died a couple years ago and since not doing ProTools work anymore I've have stuck to living on my laptops. In general laptops are okay, but cost more, harder to upgrade over time, they keep putting fewer ports on them, then the small screen. Most the time my main laptop is connected to a big monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse so almost like having a desktop except for the slower CPU, less RAM, and fewer ports. I've need to get something new my one laptop is really starting to show its age, and I'm thinking of replacing with a desktop computer I want to do more recording and think desktop gives me more options and upgrade-ability over time.
    The caveat to that is that laptops have gotten so cheap. For "normal" use including running a home studio you can grab a $400 laptop every 5 years and just not bother with upgrading. For instance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834234037

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb View Post
    The caveat to that is that laptops have gotten so cheap. For "normal" use including running a home studio you can grab a $400 laptop every 5 years and just not bother with upgrading. For instance: ASUS Laptop X555DA-WS11 AMD A10-Series A10-8700P (1.80 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD AMD Radeon R6 Series 15.6" Windows 10 Home 64-Bit - Newegg.com

    Need more horsepower than that for recording unless just recording practice or demos.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Recordings will be solo guitar or with backing tracks. I was told to also check out all in ones. They would definitely have larger screens. I don't need to be carrying it around and I could by an Anker 7 or 10 port usb 3 hub which is supposed to be backwards compatible. Good for devices requiring usb 2 or usb 1 ports.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NoReply View Post
    Need more horsepower than that for recording unless just recording practice or demos.
    You don't though. I have a lower spec'd laptop running Reaper with up to 16 channels recording simultaneously and I never max out my CPU or experience stuttering. People were recording onto computers with top of the line computers that topped out at 2 gigs of ram/single core processor 10 years ago. Computing power is cheap these days.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    After several years of cobbled together seat-of-the-pants hamster-powered desk-top technology, I recently bought a new squeaky-clean laptop that failed my needs badly enough to get upgraded to another which also failed.

    Two long-drawn and fairly enjoyable battles then ensued from which I squeezed refunds.

    So I called-in a local master of the second-hand market and we achieved a compromise.

    Monster desk-top screen so I can read, and three external drives so I lose nothing ever again, all connected to a docking bay for a heavy-duty robust lenovo lap-top that I can lug around when I need to.

    Everyone else I know seems to be a macnoid - but I don't have that kind of spare cash, so there we go.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    I have a Lenovo Y510 with a 22" monitor hooked up. It's a gamer so it's heavy. I'd go with a smaller/lighter Yoga 900 if I had too.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Wow! Too Funny~~~

    ....quick thinking with the "salute"
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 05-05-2016 at 03:21 PM.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    I recently acquired a new Apple Ipad Pro and am in the process of making it my primary gadget to use on the bandstand. Currently, I have about 5000+ songs I prepared over the past 20 years for the Ipad in alphabetical order. I am trying to learn "forScore" to be able to make and edit setlists for my gigs. Are any of you familiar with this program? I need to some basic help to get it started.

    wiz (Howie)
    Howie

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Some tutorials came up on Youtube for "forScore".

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739 View Post
    I recently acquired a new Apple Ipad Pro and am in the process of making it my primary gadget to use on the bandstand. Currently, I have about 5000+ songs I prepared over the past 20 years for the Ipad in alphabetical order. I am trying to learn "forScore" to be able to make and edit setlists for my gigs. Are any of you familiar with this program? I need to some basic help to get it started.

    wiz (Howie)
    Howie, there is a suitcase icon in the top left Connor of Forscore. It contains a drop down menu. Near the bottom click on support and the user guide is there. It will take you through everything it does and how to do it. I have not used it a whole lot as of yet but it very good in my opinion.
    Rich

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    I ended up getting a refurbished HP Z420 work station. It has a 1 Tb hard drive, 16 meg of ram, an Intel 8 core processor. Comes with Windows 7 but I can upgrade to Windows ten when it arrives. The free offer for Windows is available until July 26th

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    DO NOT UPGRADE to Windows 10!!
    Many problems were provoked in my brief and frustrating encounters with it.
    8.0 or 8.5 seems fine as always.
    But 10 ? Look out.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    I have been using Windows 10 for some time now. There is a list of settings to change after you install it. Mainly for privacy protection. It worked flawlessly. No issues at all.

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazz View Post
    DO NOT UPGRADE to Windows 10!!
    Many problems were provoked in my brief and frustrating encounters with it.
    8.0 or 8.5 seems fine as always.
    But 10 ? Look out.
    I had the opposite experience. My daughter's Windows 8 laptop was so bad after a couple of years (kept getting frozen and going into an infinite restart loop of doom, and would not do any Windows updates) that I paid to have it wiped and reinstalled (she needed it urgently to complete essays etc.). It worked ok for about 2 weeks then started all over again. So in desperation I tried the free upgrade to Windows 10. Since then it has worked very well, no further problems.

    Plus the Windows 8 interface is complete, utter, unrivalled shite, in my opinion!

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    5000 songs? Howie, what supplements you taking? That's a lot of repertoire.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Oh I am glad it worked well for you, Graham, as also for Pat's Riot (couldn't resist).

    My hypothesis is that whatever the benefits of 10 may be, there are other third parties involved whose products may not be as seamlessly compatible as we have the right to expect.

    Never been able to buy new before. But I had won a small settlement. It was Christmas. I bought myself a new suit. And I thought fuck it. Why not stretch to a more pro machine as a Boxing Day special? Because you're worth it. The supplier I chose to deal with are highly reputed specialists in assembling bespoke systems for heavy-duty gamers and macho tek-heads. My own needs are much simpler and my humble specification pursued sensible optimisation of storage stability & speed, and I figured they would serve me well. I realise retrospectively that despite their worthy status as personalised tailor for the "serious" users, when it comes to shifting off-the-shelf retail they are just the same as Future Shop or Best Buy or CostCo or any other end-of roll carpet discount store in town.

    I bought a Hewlett Packard "Elite" lap-top. I have other HP stuff with no trouble - so why not ? Neat machine. Smart and portable. And what appeared to be one of its special benefits - alongside Windows 10 - was a direct connection with a magical HP Wizard of Oz who promised to maintain the machine in ecstatic efficiency with legitimate updates and regular fixes to keep me out of trouble. Never been legitimate before. Tempting. So I took the bait readily.

    After maybe two months of getting along fine, having worked through my procedures of library loading and program installations, and then having finally started work on some of the exciting world-shaking future stuff for which I employed the technology for.... one of the cumulative HP automatic bits of buggery fatally messed with my BIOS and locked into immutable conflict with the Windows operating system.

    The supplier claimed their 30-day warranty period had passed. In this they were correct. I claimed superior status for the common law (thankful for British Columbia's Sale of Goods Act) and patiently explained their obligations to the manager. My success in persuading them of their duty to cash me out a refund renewed my trust in their business ethic and I felt OK about spending it in their direction again. I even dug up an extra couple o' hundred beer-tokens so I could up-grade to an even better replacement with an even better promise of being problem-free. Make and model are in my forgettery now. Never heard of the brand before. Also with Windows 10. Also with some mysterious compatibility failures which made it impossible for me to work. Also returned for refund.

    ("I can't be doing this every time!" they shouted at me. Such impertinence.... and I admit to taking vindictive pleasure in putting them straight and firmly back in their place.)

    After reconnecting with the local improvising independent cottage-industry engineer and dealer who saved my productive bacon and saved me money into the bargain, I found that his own personal and professional experience of the new OS was also wary and mutedly non-positive.

    It might be that there is nothing wrong with Windows 10 and everything wrong with third party unpreparedness for it. Although I saved money - which I frittered away on food and rent - the problems I ran into cost me very dear in time and trouble. I shall not repeat the experience.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    I had to replace my hard drive because it was going and I caught it at the right time on my Lenovo. When the subject of Windows 10 came up they said...you could try....
    That didn't sound very encouraging so I stuck with 8.1.