The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 89

User Info Menu

Just downloaded the app iReal Pro to my phone and laptop.

There's a wealth of things I can do with this! I'm excited, anybody else play along with this? I gotta admit Im unable to keep to the tempo that a lot of songs are played in but I became very familiar with that option button, LOL

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good app. Not perfect, but for what you pay, a very valuable practice tool. The piano player is annoying, put him on Rhodes and he plays more tastefully

User Info Menu

I use it as an essential tool for learning songs, practicing, working on tempos, etc.

I live in a place where it's hard to find other amateur jazz players who are interested in the same tunes I am, so iRealPro is my band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The piano player is annoying, put him on Rhodes and he plays more tastefully
    How?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    How?!

Ok, so I'm using it on an Android and an iPad--I have my droid here with me, so I'll give you those instructions--I think it's pretty similar on my iPad but I can't remember off the top of my head.

So on the screen with the changes, tap so the "tools" come up (tempo, key, etc.)

At the bottom, theres the square for stop, triangle for play, and then the little three striped box thingy. Touch that.

On the screen that pops up you can adjust the volume of the instruments and if you touch the treble clef, you can change the piano to two different rhodes sounds or vibraphone.

Most of the time, I just use drums and bass, though, and turn the piano off completely.

User Info Menu

Jeff, thanks man. It sounds so much better. I use it every day and the piano was indeed annoying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    How?!
    I use it on iOS, iPad or iPhone. If you have a song displayed, at the bottom of the screen to the right of the "play" arrow is a box with 3 bands. It's the "Mixer" tool. Touch it and you will have a screen to control the instruments. Touch "Piano" and you will have some options. I kinda enjoy playing with the "Jazz Organ" setting sometime, or the Leslie Organ. You can also dial out the keyboard instrument totally and play with a bass & drum to get your trio chops together.

User Info Menu

I don't have that on my phone or computer because I find the tone of the piano and instrumentation a bit annoying. Is that just me or do you guys who use this app think it is just fine?

User Info Menu

The instruments are not great sounding for sure. But it's free. I use it a lot. If you want better sounding instruments, Band in a Box is probably a better option. But, you know, not free.

User Info Menu

Ok! I am not a big user of my Android model phone with apps but I did not know it was free. That makes it sound better to me already.

So you guys just turn your phones on and what? Listen through headphones as you play?

User Info Menu

I paid for mine...the free version is probably some sort of sample. I play right out my phone speaker...very convenient

User Info Menu

I play the irealPro through the headphone out of my iphone/ipad into the aux in on my amp.

Then play along with my guitar into the usual instrument in on the amp.

easy peasy

User Info Menu

If my neighbors aren't home, I airplay it through my stereo. If they are, I put on my headphones, and plug my guitar into my computer.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chancho
    Just downloaded this app to my phone and laptop. There's a wealth of things I can do with this! I'm excited, anybody else play along with this? I gotta admit Im unable to keep to the tempo that a lot of songs are played in but I became very familiar with that option button, LOL
    I bought the app a few months ago - excellent tool.

I use it to prepare chord charts (while riding the bus to work), which I share with the band as a playlist or export as jpeg for printing.

I use it on a tablet - a bq Edison 3 (great Spanish brand).

User Info Menu

I Bluetooth it thru a Bose wireless speaker. Perfect for practice.

User Info Menu

As well as using on my own I jam once a week with a drummer. We downloaded a bunch of songs - Moanin, Driftin, Sandu etc from the irealpro forum (the list of songs on their is amazing) and just use the bass, what a great tool.

User Info Menu

I've been using this app for years. I used to run a jazz jam and it saved me from having to carry a load of realbooks to every session. I have a tip for anyone who backs vocalists (who rarely sing in the original keys): first, set up a playlist for each singer, then do 'add to playlist' for each required song. Second, open a playlist, select each song, and change the key to suit the singer. The key change will only be effective for that playlist. Also - any changes you make to the playback tempo, style, etc will only apply to that playlist. You can email a playlist to other band members too!

User Info Menu

I've been using it for chord charts on
    Jam sessions etc ... For a while and its
    Great

But just started using it for quick playalongs
    Practicing tunes , change keys , style , tempo
    Instantly ... Im loving it at the moment ....
    I know its got Casio plinky plonk sound
    but hey its Cheap !

We're so lucky to have these kind of gadgets
    Available ...
    Best £8 I've ever spent !
    (Not affiliated honest)

User Info Menu

I use it on an Android tablet, and it makes the tablet useful. Without it, I don't have much use for the tablet any longer. I've never worried about the tone of the backing tracks, it's not like I'm going to use it for professional accompaniment. It's good enough for practice.

User Info Menu

I use it also for jamming with friends eg have a drummer no bass just drop out the drums and often the cheesey piano, instant trio

User Info Menu

Great app...put the piano player on Rhodes or vibes, he plays more tastefully.

User Info Menu

Greatest practice tool ever!

There's a sax player around here, who even performs with it.... Well, I don't know about that, but the audience doesn't seem to mind and he gets asked back, so......

User Info Menu

I kept my old iphone 4 longer than practical just for this app but the tiddly little screen was proving an eye strain so I invested in a new tablet just last week.

So many tunes...

Is anyone here on their forum?

Does anyone here post up their transcriptions?

User Info Menu

Its a great app to a jazz musician rescue when one needs charts quick, but they got so many chords wrong in so many tunes! Approach with care. Also annoying that even though it has editing, it only allows you to do it in default key.

Otherwise great tool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    I kept my old iphone 4 longer than practical just for this app but the tiddly little screen was proving an eye strain so I invested in a new tablet just last week.

So many tunes...

Is anyone here on their forum?

Does anyone here post up their transcriptions?
    Yes, I posted some Ronny Jordan songs.