The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

I just saw online that the entry level Logic Pro X, I believe it's called, is under $200. That and a good Mac laptop and an A/D converter should enable you to do basic, close to pro level recording. I'm working with a producer now who's got a more powerful version of Logic plus good studio gear including a Neumann mic, recording jazzy electro funk I guess you
    might call it. I'm playing all the parts, except the drum tracks, direct with a Tele TL (even the bass) and it sounds pretty good for what it is. A couple of years ago I worked with a guy who had a basic mobile rig; a Mac with Logic and a Zoom A/D converter. I played an old Gibson LG1 with a sound hole pup, doing standards, and it sounded like a ES 150. Going direct with a Tweed patch and a tiny amount of delay and reverb with a patch simulating a Neumann 87 distance micing the cabinet. The sound was great but I wasn't satisfied with my playing or I'd post an example.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a Mac and Garage Band and good interface to record myself, but the idea is to be able to record a small combo if needed on whatever location. Laptop and interface with many inputs will cost way too much.

User Info Menu

The Zoom H6 is kind of tempting. It can record 6 simultaneous channels either standalone or to a computer or ipad. It's also $50 off through the month of March.
    https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...handy-recorder

User Info Menu

The Zoom does sound like the best bet for what you want to do.

User Info Menu

Hep, just get the Tascam. For something more trendy there's the Zoom R16.

User Info Menu

I use a Zoom R8 (replaxced my very aged fostex tape machine!); Its verly portable with an adequate of not stellar bettery life (ususually have it mains powered). It works well as 8-track recorder, as well as sampler, rhythm machine and computer audio interface/control; suorface. The built in microphones are surprisingly good for live ambient recording.

User Info Menu

I bought a TASCAM DP-24SD recently. So far, it's been great. Very happy with it.

User Info Menu

Mics and stands anyone? The recorder is the easy peasy part. I did this for awhile. Mac laptop, 8 channel interface with great built in pres. At first I brought my own. 8 mics, 8 stands, cables, setting levels. The it went to expanding the pro level of my gear. 16 channels, 24 or more if needed. Totally pro sounding. Other people started hiring me. I had/have a side mobile recording business. But it's a royal PITA.

Even when I started out just doing my own little quartet gigs. I did exactly ONE before I gave up. 8 mics. It was harder and messier than it seemed. PLUS if you don't know about recording and the gear already the learning curve is not slight.

When I recorded my bands I always hired one or two people to assist and then completely take over when it was time to play. But for this even set up was a good 3-4 job. Then sound check, dinner, gig.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 04-08-2016 at 01:57 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about all this stuff too. I wasn't planning to record live gigs btw, only demos, up to 5 piece band, maybe... I still can't decide, but I got Reaper recently, and am having fun with that, and thinking maybe over time get a laptop indeed with interface with enough channels... It just doesn't make sense for me right now have 2 different recording devices, and Reaper will take time to learn all the ins and outs... Knowing myself, I better think long and hard before I pull the trigger

User Info Menu

I have a Tascam 464 portastudio of which i would like to use the mixer through a Line6 UX interface with overhead mics, to record on my laptop with the program AUDACITY.
    Any experiences?

User Info Menu

Hi everyone. This is a follow up to by brief post from a couple of years ago about my Tascam DP-24SD. I’ve been using this thing solidly for two years now, and it has not skipped a beat. You can easily look up all the tech specs on line for it – and they are all excellent – but I really want to remark on its great usability. By that I mean, you don’t have to fuss with it once you’re rolling.

Being a very old man, I remember working/struggling with multitrack tape recorders of various kinds. Having to stop between takes and attend to the machine was a woeful distraction. Recording yourself, solo or band, was very difficult, regardless of how well-specced your gear was. With the Tascam, it’s bliss! Set up your mics and/or line-ins, check levels and then let it run. I did some videos with my quartet earlier this year, and we did two 2-hour sessions with a lunch break in between. Once we set levels, we just let the recorder stay on and recorded each session in full - all takes, all breaks between songs (we did turn it off over lunch). 4 hours recording didn’t even half-fill the 32gb SD card we were using. SO much easier than anything else I’ve tried before.

Then it was an easy transfer of all the files from the Tascam into my PC, via USB, and I mixed it all with Studio One (although you can of course use ProTools, Reaper, or your software of choice). I’ve put a link a couple of the videos below. Everything you hear came through the Tascam.

And just to be clear, I’m not affiliated with Tascam, or indeed any company whatsoever. I’m just a guy who bought this thing on-line and am very happy with it.

Cheers
    Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkdk7dxm9X0

User Info Menu

The other link...

User Info Menu

Those Zoom products look pretty awesome, and less worry about someone stealing your laptop and expensive interface.

If you did want to use your laptop, Behringer makes an 8 channel audio interface with nice preamps for $250. I've been using the 4 channel version and have been happy with it.

Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 USB Audio Interface | Guitar Center

Drums are the problem, how many mics/channels are the drums going to take?