The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hello everyone. I'm curious to know how you all record your guitar when recording direct. I'm currently using Guitar Rig 3 Session as my current situation does not allow me to record my amp (like I always did in the past). So, I am using the Session I/O usb interface which has a line and mic preamp and plugging my guitar direct into that - which they say si how it is meant to be used. The sound I'm getting is very close but just lacks a bit of that warmth that I'm used to when recording an amp. I'm wondering if getting a tube compressor of some sort, and putting that between my guitar and the usb interface, will help bring back some of that "life". Not to mention, also level out some of those peaks and dips that I don't remember getting when using an amp. Anyone? Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Depends upon what you mean by "warmth"...

One of the biggest differences between recording a live amp and recording a direct guitar is the lack of ambience in the latter. Adding reverb to the track will help.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd6969
    Hello everyone. I'm curious to know how you all record your guitar when recording direct. I'm currently using Guitar Rig 3 Session as my current situation does not allow me to record my amp (like I always did in the past). So, I am using the Session I/O usb interface which has a line and mic preamp and plugging my guitar direct into that - which they say si how it is meant to be used. The sound I'm getting is very close but just lacks a bit of that warmth that I'm used to when recording an amp. I'm wondering if getting a tube compressor of some sort, and putting that between my guitar and the usb interface, will help bring back some of that "life". Not to mention, also level out some of those peaks and dips that I don't remember getting when using an amp. Anyone? Thanks.

I highly recommend finding one of these on eBay:
    Mesa Boogie Formula Preamp

And having one of these in the effects loop:
    TC Electronic G-Major from zZounds.com!

Afterwards, you will have no problems with "warmth" or dynamics.

It's hard to beat an ALL TUBE PREAMP!

Works as good for my L5, GB10 and ES175 as it does my LP,SG, PRS or Strat.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try the above posted as well as trying a little something in the chain before hitting the soundcard.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd6969
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try the above posted as well as trying a little something in the chain before hitting the soundcard.

BTW, modeling type preamps can sound OK, but every one I've tried exhibits a funny sounding response on the leading edge of the note. Like the processor was trying to figure out how a clean guitar should sound beforehand.

My POD X3 is decent for Stratocaster type rhythm tracks, not good enough for a real archtop guitar.

User Info Menu

I've had excellent results using modelers. It helps to set up a program specifically tuned for your taste in sound, rather than trying to find a preset that's close enough.

User Info Menu

My Guitar Pod - in conjunction with my Lexicon MX 200 - has actually given me better recordings than when I went into a professional studio. Mind you, the engineer was a complete clod, but the Pod is still capable of creating some decent tones.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystonian_Mode
    My Guitar Pod - in conjunction with my Lexicon MX 200 - has actually given me better recordings than when I went into a professional studio. Mind you, the engineer was a complete clod, but the Pod is still capable of creating some decent tones.

Try doing the same with an L5 or Benedetto.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    Try doing the same with an L5 or Benedetto.

Ah yes, if only I had a Benedetto to test this out.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystonian_Mode
    Ah yes, if only I had a Benedetto to test this out.
    An L5, Super 5, Super 400, LeGrande or Johnny Smith would work equally well for the test. Trust me.

User Info Menu

Tube preamps are a good idea, but if you have bad preamps with bad analog to digital conversion on your audio interface, then I can see that being the bottleneck in recording. If you have solid preamps, then go ahead and get a quality tube preamp I would say. If you are saying your sound is pretty close, I think a good tube preamp would be a good idea then. You would even be surprised by how much a $40 ART preamp will sweeten your sound. They are cheap, and do improve the sound!!

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyblues
    Tube preamps are a good idea, but if you have bad preamps with bad analog to digital conversion on your audio interface, then I can see that being the bottleneck in recording. If you have solid preamps, then go ahead and get a quality tube preamp I would say. If you are saying your sound is pretty close, I think a good tube preamp would be a good idea then. You would even be surprised by how much a $40 ART preamp will sweeten your sound. They are cheap, and do improve the sound!!
    Well I'm proud to say my rack is pretty damn "pro". I also change the tubes fairly regularly, and tend to use very good tubes in my preamp. My A/D is performed by a Yamaha firewire rackmount unit.

But hey, I could see adding a transistor Sans Amp to the rack too.

Nice to have lots of sounds, be they real tubes, snazzy transistors or modelers.

I've yet to explore much of my POD X3 Live. So far great for big rig distortion and clean Fender Strat sounds, lacking for good archtop, even with a simulated Twin or Deluxe Reverb.

User Info Menu

I'm trying to make some basic solo (archtop) jazz recordings using my MAC computer. The idea is to create a "live" audio archive of my repertoire and maybe compile a book of arrangements.

What do you recommend in the way of portable equipment / software and technique that would focus on recording a nice archtop jazz tone using direct-in or mic approach? I am hoping to find a good quality set-up where I don't have to pay big bucks for a ton of effects / amp and Cab simulators I will never use.

Any Ideas?
    Last edited by Jazzaluk; 06-30-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzaluk
    Hey Jazzarian

I'm trying to make some basic solo (archtop) jazz recordings using my MAC computer. The idea is to create a "live" audio archive of my repertoire and maybe compile a book of arrangements.

What do you recommend in the way of portable equipment / software and technique that would focus on recording a nice archtop jazz tone using direct-in or mic approach? I am hoping to find a good quality set-up where I don't have to pay big bucks for a ton of effects / amp and Cab simulators I will never use.

Any Ideas?
    Tough call. I prefer real tubes myself.

For serious archtop work I've found modelers to be lacking.

I hate using mics even though I have some nice ones.

For going direct, without spending the money for a tube preamp, you might want to check out a Sans Amp and some kind or reverb processor. Not that expensive. The Sans Amp does have speaker emulation.

For an A/D unit, there's lots out there. I'd go for a firewire based unit that supports 4 to 8 analog inputs. 2 inputs is far too limiting. Not all Macs have firewire these days though, so you might have to opt for a USB2 unit.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jazzarian...great help.

My Mac has firewire so I'll investigate a good A/D unit. I wonder if I can use the tube pre-amp in my Evans JE200 as a substitute? Ill give it a try. The Sans Amp looks like a good versitile option if the Evans solution tanks.

Jazzarian Guest
    Thanks Jazzarian...great help.

My Mac has firewire so I'll investigate a good A/D unit. I wonder if I can use the tube pre-amp in my Evans JE200 as a substitute? Ill give it a try. The Sans Amp looks like a good versitile option if the Evans solution tanks.
    I'm not sure if the Evans has speaker emulation on it's Line Out. That could be a fine way to go though. You'd have reverb too, without buying an external processor.

There's lots of A/D units out there. I'd avoid going the Pro-Tools direction, no need for that complexity.

User Info Menu

Right, forgot about the missing speaker. Do you have a CAB simulator recommendation that might match the Evans pre-amp idea?

Thanks again

Jazzarian Guest
    Right, forgot about the missing speaker. Do you have a CAB simulator recommendation that might match the Evans pre-amp idea?

Thanks again
    Seriously it might be built in. Check the Evans owners manual. I'd be surprized if they hadn't of thought of including such, sharp company they are.

I believe Sans Amp might have an external one for sale. Behringer too. Check around like on Musicians Friend and gbase.com for others.

User Info Menu

Thanks...I've got allot of ideas now. Will let you know how it turns out.

Jazzarian Guest
    Thanks...I've got allot of ideas now. Will let you know how it turns out.

Musicians Friend has a USB guitar interface with cabinet simulation for $99. It's called Guitar Rig Mobile from Native Instruments.

Buy Native Instruments GUITAR RIG MOBILE Audio Interface | Effects Plugins | Software | Musician's Friend

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention I think, I use the headphone/line output of my cube 60 to my audio interface and it sounds pretty good! This way I don't require a tube preamp to get decent sound, but I still recommend a tube preamp if you don't have something like a Cube 60 with a good line out.