The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I'm playing around with irealb. It has a number of applications such as intros and changes in time-signatures. The piano doesn't sound good to me, so I bring it pretty much down to nothing. The drums I bring down a fair amount as well. I like the bass, and keep it prevalent. It's real easy to print-out or send to other people. Anybody else working with this app?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How do you enable intros? I've never seen that? I've been working on some new systems of organizing notes to get away from scales and arpeggios and to think more horizontally when improvising. Recently I've started trying to take this away from slow, basic ballads, and applying it to faster tunes with odd changes.

I find the tempo increasing feature to be fun to mess with. Start the tune slow and see how fast it can get before I lose it and can't keep up.

Hi Jordan,

To create an intro:
    -Click on the pencil at the top, which is for edit.
    -A menu comes up with some options: Edit, Duplicate, New Song or Trash
    I generally choose Duplicate, so I keep the original.
    -Then put the flashing marker over the first Measure.
    -In the middle of the screen is a plus sign. Push on it. Now you can put in chords. For simple intro you could just copy and paste a few of the last bars for example.
    -To mark as intro, click on symbols on the bottom of the screen.
    -Also put in repeat signs for where song starts and ends

Hey Jordan,

i forgot got about the learning mode. I need to work with that!

User Info Menu

Another way to create an introduction is to use the end of the song--pick say the last four measures, and start playback from there.

Is there a way to program it for multiple times so that it ends in the right place when you start the intro this way?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    I'm playing around with irealb. It has a number of applications such as intros and changes in time-signatures. The piano doesn't sound good to me, so I bring it pretty much down to nothing. The drums I bring down a fair amount as well. I like the bass, and keep it prevalent. It's real easy to print-out or send to other people. Anybody else working with this app?
    I use and like ireal-pro a lot, but the comping voice is usually awful. Bass and light drums or click is all I need from it.

I agree KIRKP. That blend option made all the difference in the word for me.

User Info Menu

I love iReal! As a practise tool, but indeed also to exchange chord-charts thru the mail with the rest of the band. I even know people who gig with it professionally, but that's not something I would like to do unless I really needed the money ;-)

The comping voices are maybe not great, but I bought the additional packages and it's really fun - for practise - to play jazz standards with a reggae or R&B rhythm :-)

To practise I like playing with the bass only, sometimes I add a little drums.

User Info Menu

I have to try getting rid of that piano. It really grates on my nerves. Thanks for the tip.

destinytot Guest
    I recently bought a tablet (great Spanish brand called bq), and I've just added iReal Book Pro - wow! Such a convenient way make, store and share chord charts. And such cool learning technology - first a looper, then Drum Genius, now this!

Anyway, there are guides on the site: Guides | iReal Pro

User Info Menu

Hi Jordan,

To create an intro:
    -Click on the pencil at the top, which is for edit.
    -A menu comes up with some options: Edit, Duplicate, New Song or Trash
    I generally choose Duplicate, so I keep the original.
    -Then put the flashing marker over the first Measure.
    -In the middle of the screen is a plus sign. Push on it. Now you can put in chords. For simple intro you could just copy and paste a few of the last bars for example.
    -To mark as intro, click on symbols on the bottom of the screen.
    -Also put in repeat signs for where song starts and ends
    When I do this, the song repeats by also repeating the intro. Hard to figure out how to get around that.

User Info Menu

Is there a way to program it for multiple times so that it ends in the right place when you start the intro this way?
    You have to up the number of choruses by 1 if you do the intro by just staring down at the end. It "thinks" you have played a chorus and are resuming at that measure. I like this method, though, because it doesn't involve a permanent change to the file. I'm trying to learn how to add an actual programmed introduction, but every time I add one, the "repeat" doesn't work right and the introduction gets repeated on every chorus.

There is some oddness about how the editing works on this app. I'm wondering if "serious" editing needs to just happen on my desktop and then I ship the files to my tablet.

User Info Menu

I use the latin rhythm pack a lot. It's fun and challenging to play a familiar swing or pop tune in one of the Cuban or Brazilian styles. Even if the rhythm doesn't suite the tune, attempting to play to an unconventional rhythm forces me out of my comfort zone. When I return to the original rhythm it seems fresher and gives me a bit more confidence to play freely.

User Info Menu

irealband is so easy to use, great learning tool.

I have sessionband also but hardly use it notwithstanding its superiority having real instruments, as it is not as easy to use SessionBand Jazz Music App for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch | SessionBand Jazz Volumes 1, 2 & 3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    When I do this, the song repeats by also repeating the intro. Hard to figure out how to get around that.
    The first bar needs the intro symbol "IN". The first bar after the intro needs the section-A symbol. That tells irealpro where the intro ends.

If you've loaded the Jazz 1300 playlist, open "Beauty and the Beast" for an example of how to set up the intro and repeats. If you want to experiment with it, edit a duplicate copy. Set tempo to 360 for a rapid check that it's doing what you intended. Also go through the tutorials.

Ireal-Pro is not very intuitive, but becomes easy once you get the hang of it.
    Last edited by KirkP; 01-19-2016 at 07:00 PM.

User Info Menu

We use it all the time on the bandstand. Great, great product.

As far as accompaniment, I agree, sometimes the piano is so-so. But the vibes are excellent! I use that a lot.

User Info Menu

If I was in a jam with someone who comped like the ireal pro pianist, I'd try to make a graceful exit. ;-)

The bass player and drummer I could live with.

I was checking out the tutorials, and they were talking about loading irealb into GarageBand. I have GB on my phone, so could do this with one device. Anyone tried this? Is it complicated?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP
    The first bar needs the intro symbol "IN". The first bar after the intro needs the section-A symbol. That tells irealpro where the intro ends.

If you've loaded the Jazz 1300 playlist, open "Beauty and the Beast" for an example of how to set up the intro and repeats. If you want to experiment with it, edit a duplicate copy. Set tempo to 360 for a rapid check that it's doing what you intended. Also go through the tutorials.

Ireal-Pro is not very intuitive, but becomes easy once you get the hang of it.
    Thanks for that! It works indeed!

Is there also a similar method for creating a special ending?
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 01-19-2016 at 11:03 PM.

User Info Menu

"Always and Forever" is an example of D.S. al coda.

"A Ballad" is a nice example of a one-time ending.

"Del Sasser" has a D.S. al fine.

You can learn a lot by just swiping through a bunch of charts.
    Last edited by KirkP; 01-20-2016 at 12:33 AM.

User Info Menu

You can set the drums to play only on 2 and 4. I like to turn the comping off and use just bass and click on 2 and 4.

User Info Menu

I use it for practice regularly. It is very easy to set up progressions. Given that I use it for practice, I don't mind the piano sound. I do like the drums and bass plenty.

I have only set up one composition (meaning not just a practice loop) and am still learning how to make it do what I want.

I am currently trying to find a way to get the drums to stop at a point... and start up again a measure later. This might be a limitation of the iOS version but I did download the MacOS version not long ago and am currently exploring it.

Well I finally discovered (by accident) how to get drum fills! You simply go into symbols under edit, and then add double bar lines. The bolder ones have different fills than the lighter-print ones.

I discovered this when I realized that there were fills every time I used a repeat sign.
    Last edited by srlank; 01-31-2016 at 05:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes.

I have it on my Android and Jam along and even have written a few rough sketches on it.

I can't get the chord resolution fine enough for the Styles I actually use and have contacted the Developer to request paid
    Upgrade Packs with other Styles and finer
    Resolution on chord placement.
    I would pay another $100 to have 16th note resolution on chord placement ...

But it is a cool App.

I have an Android Phone with a hi end Audio Chip so it sounds pretty good -I like the Piano sound...but not the Rhythms or some of his Robo voicings.

I want to do some collaborative threads on expanded Blues Forms etc. where the
    Guys can suggest different Sections and
    Modulations etc.

I am experimenting with having the bar line slice right through the Chord ( lol) to get it a little funkier..

Obviously it's not a Midi Rig where I program everything but I can get a feel for
    Key Changes ...and Chord Character

And also - some Tunes on there are really cool to Jam experiment with...try ideas..

Which Section of the Forum would we use for Collaborating ...etc.?

Like an Ireal Thread ?

@KIRKP- no...the Ireal Piano is not like McCoy Tyner...you just get to hear the chords...I have had the App about 6 weeks and I have experimented with putting the Bar Lines right through the Chord to get it funkier...with limited success...it's not like Midi Programming each note and creating cool harmonic rhythms...lol.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-21-2016 at 03:19 AM.