The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hello Friends: Replies to my other thread about devices to slow-down backingtracks etc have been very productive. I've done alot of web searching and come up with the following Shareware and wondering if anyone has any experience with this stuff, favorable or unfavorable, OR if you use any other programs/devices not listed here.

My primary objective is a program to slow down the playback speed of an audio file so I can play along with it, but I've noticed there's a whole category of "guitar trainers" out there that do this and alot more, so your comments/ experiences would probably be very helpful to alot of us... Here's the list I've come across so far (alpha order):

Amazing Slow Downer for Windows
    Guitar and Drum Trainer 2
    mTrax
    Phrase Trainer
    Riffmaster Pro
    SlowGold
    Transcribe! for Windows (also for apple, linux, etc.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Here's another Jazzguitar.be forum thread I found that has some similar Q&A:
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/recor...nversions.html

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I have got a Tascam MP-GT1 guitar trainer and I love it. See: TASCAM
    It allows me to set A-B repeat zones, speed up, slow down, you can mix your guitar against the background tune and apply various amp models, effects etc. It also fits in your pocket. I wouldn't be without mine.
    cheers

User Info Menu

I've been using the Amazing Slow Downer for about 8-9 years.
    It's simple, but does what it is supposed to do and I consider it almost essential now.

I've learned tunes on sax and guitar with this thing that I would never have even bothered attempting otherwise.

User Info Menu

Transcribe is an excellent slowdowner.

Band-in-a-Box is a must have program for jazz.

User Info Menu

I second Transcribe!

The quality of sound is retained to a greater degree than that of amazing slow downer; I used ASD first because I didn't know of any other programs. that and it is a lot easier to select a particular section to isolate as you can see the sound waves.

Transcribe all the way

User Info Menu

Another vote for Transcribe! It is truly cross platform, with versions for windows, MAC, and linux.

User Info Menu

I've used transcribe for years, it's a good program and it's written by an English programmer, but Song Surgeon slows down songs equally well and has a better key changer, the pitch change is much more accurate than Transcribe.

Try the Demo here and hear the results for yourself.

http://www.songsurgeon.com/?gclid=CJ...FZShtAodO2AAXw

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I've used transcribe for years, it's a good program and it's written by an English programmer, but Song Surgeon slows down songs equally well and has a better key changer, the pitch change is much more accurate than Transcribe.

Try the Demo here and hear the results for yourself.

http://www.songsurgeon.com/?gclid=CJ...FZShtAodO2AAXw
    Looks good for those running mac or windows. For folks like me who run linux, Transcribe! is the only game in town..

User Info Menu

This thread is 5 years old, so hopefully the OP has sorted things out by now. But fwiw, VLC now has slowing-down functionality. The sound quality goes down but hey, you can't argue with the price.

User Info Menu

Open source and works on linux, too.

User Info Menu

Slight Hijack,

Does anyone know if any of these programs use the space bar as the start/stop function? My ear is poor so I also find it helps to stop right after the note you are trying to hear, and a big button to whack helps.

I loved transcribe otherwise. Can you change transcribe to make the space bar pause/play?

After using cubase for many years, this sadly is part of my main criteria.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    This thread is 5 years old, so hopefully the OP has sorted things out by now. But fwiw, VLC now has slowing-down functionality. The sound quality goes down but hey, you can't argue with the price.
    It's even possible with the windows mediaplayer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

User Info Menu

Franklin - Appreciate the link to MS re Media player. But I tried it with my Martin Taylor video of six Jimmy Van Heusen songs. It slowed the DVD down alright, but the sound would not play. Too bad. On the other hand, I have come to realize that what really works for me is actually simply to write down the chord progression measure by measure noting specifically in what fret position the chords are executed. Now I realize that a sequence of notes in a single measure may start at the seventh fret position and finish at the third fret. But if I note where the phrase starts and where it ends in terms of fret position, I can easily play the phrase. This is all aural, and much faster that even sight reading the notation, which is provided as well.

Martin's DVDs are great, btw, even if the slow-down MS trick in this case didn't work. No big deal.

Jay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by basinstreet
    Does anyone know if any of these programs use the space bar as the start/stop function? My ear is poor so I also find it helps to stop right after the note you are trying to hear, and a big button to whack helps.
    Yeppers, works for VLC. Best media player around, IMO, I've been using it for years to play damn near anything.

User Info Menu

I have a TASCAM GT-1 guitartrainer and I use it quite a lot - especially for practicing when my wife watches TV in the adjacent room. Great little tool.

For slowing down tracks and pitch adjustment I use audacity freeware.

User Info Menu

transcribe does video too. 'nuff said!

User Info Menu

Transcribe! great software.I use it every day...:-)vide,mp3,Cd...etc.