The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I am trying to find a way to rec guitar to my computer without using an amplifier with a microphone because of the db..

I am using a lot of pedals like od...delays etc

Is there any di pedal or speaker simulator or something else that can do the job without make me sound digital ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, Logidy EPSI or Torpedo Cab or Amplifire or an AMT one that I don't recall the name. They all allow you to load Impulse Responses that sound exactly like a miced cab.

User Info Menu

I use Apogee jam and the Bias amp simulating software via my phone, which can then be input into the computer. I've also used the Audiobox iTwo, running the guitar through one input, sometimes with a reverb pedal or amp simulator first, and my backing track through the other, sending the signal to the computer.

I personally prefer the microphone+amplifier method for sound, but I have to admit the direct recording via an analogue-digital converter like the Apogee Jam or the Audiobox iTwo has worked very well.

User Info Menu

Zoom G3. Street price, $149. USB out. Any effect you want, amp sims, nice reverb, adjustable volume in/out, and a good amount of tone range before it clips. No latency, whatsoever..

User Info Menu

IRig HD works pretty well with my iPad Mini and my Win7 PC. Less than $100.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Zoom G3. Street price, $149. USB out. Any effect you want, amp sims, nice reverb, adjustable volume in/out, and a good amount of tone range before it clips. No latency, whatsoever..
    Wow. If only the G3 had an auxiliary audio input for playing with a backing or practice track, it would be perfect for my needs. I'm still improvising with a couple different boxes to do that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Joe, you are a lesson in contrasts. The D'Angelico, probably the lowest tech, most awesome old-worldly guitar and Zoom G3. Dude, don't know how you keep up, but I'm watching for some hints here. These gadgets simulate what amp specifically that you like? I am a decidedly low-tech guy, having graduated from a career in software engineering, I like the full on acoustic but am known to dip my plug into a decent amp occasionally, So you say, simple plug the thing into your guitar and computer, and set a few settings, and bang?

User Info Menu

All the software I have used has either its own amp simulation, or they accept software plugins from other software companies. What software are you using for recording?

User Info Menu

I really don't want it in the software. I use one package for all my video recording, for classes, for music, everything. It's Screenflow, and I really haven't got time to learn any other package. So I want the amp simulation etc. to happen on this side of the USB port. I'm really insistent: I already have a multi-box solution, but I would love to find a one-box solution: amp/cabinet modeling, EQ, aux. input, digital out, monitor out, small box. Everybody I talk to keeps coming up with what I call the "All that except… but it's cheap…" and I just say I already have the "All…except" but I want a small, compact one-box solution for my frequent travel.

User Info Menu

I use an old Roland GP-100 for that. In side-by side comparisons I liked the software plugins for Logic better. However, for real-time playing the software plugings have little delay. This thing lets you hear what you play better. I don't use it too much, but since it is in my rack, it is very convenient. In fact I used it just the other day to record this:

Any way to record guitar direct to PC?-roland-gp-100-jpg
    Last edited by icr; 12-26-2015 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

seriously I think ANYTHING you played would sound good recorded via any system. I got so involved listening to the music I forgot for a moment about my recording question! Seriously, that's fabulous sounding music.

I'm actually eyeing the Digitech RP360, which seems to have what I'm looking for. The manual notes that music input via the auxiliary jam is output through the headphone and analogue L/R jacks, but does not say it goes out through the USB mix as well, though. From all I can find out, while the aux. input is mixed with the guitar sound in the analog outputs, it is not sent out via the USB. Not sure why that would be, but so far that's what I'm hearing. So until I get that question answered, the RP360 is only a possibility. Otherwise, it looks like a very economical and effective solution.

http://www.amazon.com/DigiTech-RP360...itar+pedal+usb

Thanks so much for the advice and ideas, and any others that come up will be welcome too.
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 12-29-2015 at 01:44 PM.

i am using Cubase 5.
    If you know any plugin which is easy to use please let me know

on the other hand.... do you think that a pedal like this, could do better the job ?
    TresCab
    Last edited by jkstigma; 12-27-2015 at 04:21 AM.

User Info Menu

I would just get a proper USB interface for your computer, like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo - and then use software plugins in Cubase to do amp emulation, including cabinets. The Solo would let you go in with guitar and aux input. Or you just put the backing tracks into Cubase and add your guitar in another pass. I think that's the way most people would do it. In any case, that's how I do it, except I use Logic on a Mac instead of Cubase on a PC.

Looks like Cubase comes with amp simulation.

Quick question - how are you getting a microphone sound into your PC now? Can't you just use the same interface?

Bob

User Info Menu

As far as real-time playing, I simply split my guitar signal before the amp. That way I can hear it in the room at any volume and take a perfectly clean, virgin signal into my computer to let the amp sims do their thing. And you can change the amp sim at any time to get something that might suit what you want to hear a bit better. Easy as pie!

If there is any delay in the recorded track, I simply re-align it by visually shifting it however far it needs to go - typically, just a few milliseconds.

Bob

User Info Menu

A used POD XT with a Guitar Tube Preamp
    and the Modeling OFF is an excellent way to get very Pro Tones direct.

Why do I use a Tube Preamp- because with
    the Modeling "OFF" you can use the EFX and Cab Sims AND save them as a Preset and this way it does not sound like a POD - it sounds like the Tube Preamp.

There is even a final Post EQ which is great for removing artifacts above ( usually 6k to 10k) your guitar signal which are harsh for a really warm non fatigue sound.

Once you have your EFX and the Cabinet Sim and Post EQ ( if needed) you save that as a Preset and it's there for instant recall and you can store dozens of them preserving the No Amp setting.

You may not need a Tube Pre but I am talking about Pro Tones here comparable to many Pro Recordings.

There is a setting called " No Amp" and if you set your Tube Preamp so you do NOT clip the front end of the POD - and tweak your cabinet sims and efx it can sound very polished into Headphones and almost anything especially starting with a nice Guitar Tube Preamp - the warmth and natural Tube Tone of the Preamp is mostly preserved through the POD and the Delays and Reverbs are nice and clean etc.

Until you get into much more expensive Guitar Modeling Rigs ( where the Tube Preamp is not needed due to the higher quality Modeling) this is very difficult to beat- the built in Computer Software Amp Sims are not " there" yet although the Cabinet Sims and Efx obviously are.

Also no " latency " just play.

I initially tried this to get very low volume Practice Tones which works but surprised to hear the quality - again using ADA MP1 and Hughes and Kettner Tube Preamps- the POD is just a " direct box" with EFX and cab sims..
    There is a new Modeler called Amplifire which has supposedly excellent Modeling and great Cab Sims (Cab IRs same as top Software Speaker Cab Impulse Responses-) which theoretically you will not NEED a Tube Preamp but you get fewer EFX and I think about $ 600. , used POD XT about
    $80 to $100 or less.

More info on Amplifire ( small red unit kind of like POD XT):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ind...#post-21092559
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 12-27-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uburoibob
    I would just get a proper USB interface for your computer, like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo - and then use software plugins in Cubase to do amp emulation, including cabinets. The Solo would let you go in with guitar and aux input. Or you just put the backing tracks into Cubase and add your guitar in another pass. I think that's the way most people would do it. In any case, that's how I do it, except I use Logic on a Mac instead of Cubase on a PC.

Looks like Cubase comes with amp simulation.

Quick question - how are you getting a microphone sound into your PC now? Can't you just use the same interface?

Bob
    the problem is not the interface i use. I have a Steinberg CI2, it's just fine when i want to rec my amp with a microphone or just from the Di output of the amp. The problem is when i can't use my amp, late at night etc and when want to send my pedals direct to my soundcard. Sending an overdrive pedal to the computer without speaker simulator, doesn't work.

So i just try the guitar rig, there is some delay, maybe it needs adjustment
    Thats why i prefer a speaker simulator in a pedal, For example tech has great pedals for that, but expensive too

TECH 21 - SANSAMP GT2