The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Methinks this is currently the best small camera for doing youtube vids. It has the best sound I'll wager, however the camera, even though HD, seems a bit weak. However I don't know of an alternative. Anyone?

Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder | Zoom

Doc

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sylvain recently put up a video on his FB of him trying out a Zoom Q4 and it looks and sound good to me.

https://www.facebook.com/sylvain.cou...9/?pnref=story

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Sylvain recently put up a video on his FB of him trying out a Zoom Q4 and it looks and sound good to me.

https://www.facebook.com/sylvain.cou...9/?pnref=story

Cool. Thanks.

The Q4 looks good too and is cheaper, but the Q8 has more features. However are the extra features worth an extra $100? Research time I recon. I would be happy if the Zoom could do really good stills also, but that might be beyond it's capabilities

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

it really, really, triple super depends on so much, like what you are trying to achieve, where you use it and how involved you're willing to get. if you look through those zoom demos, you'll note they are being shot in pro studios with lighting, extra mics and they still sound merely solid and look just pretty ok. the reality will probably be a lot closer to the facebook demo linked above: a guy in room with inadequate lighting and suboptimal placement for audio and video with the amp somewhere in an untreated room. not to nitpick or put the guy down (it was his first run and he's a great player), i'm just saying. you have to temper your expectations. you're not gonna pay $300 and get the new avatar movie.

i'd take some time to decide what i wanted my demos to sound like and how i wanted them to look like before i made a purchase. also consider how much you want to spend, and whether you're willing to pay for peripherals like lights, stands, extra mics, mic stands, cables, room treatment and such. you don't need all of that to look and sound good but a few extra bucks, with some basic techniques can make a huge difference in quality.

i say all that as a guy with many cameras, microphones and guitars.

User Info Menu

I was going to get this camera a few months ago but I read carefully through Amazon's reviews. There were a few things that the Zoom did not do that I wanted. I really wish I could remember what they were. It might sound crazy but one camera that I was looking at had very limited or no zoom feature. Like I said, I am not sure if it was this camera or its lesser model.

Anyway, I hope you get the idea. If you can set aside 30 minutes, the reviews can give you a very good idea of the camera's limitations. I do remember that none of the reviews raved about the picture quality and also if you stopped filming and then turned it on again, you would create a separate new file.

I had better stop my suppositions.

You might want to see if there is a good forum out there that discusses the camera's virtues.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. The cons on the Zoom are substantial. I could probably get a more flexible camera on a cheap Canon or Panasonic. Maybe not HD, but the camera would be more useful.

The sound quality is the biggest plus. For a 'sit on a chair with a black background solo jazz clips', the camera may not need to have a ton of features. The sound does need to be top notch though.

The Sony camera I linked to looks promising too. I already have a small Sony 1/8" inch stereo mic that cost $100. I got it for the Edirol/Roland 24bit MP3 R-09 recorder. So, I have a little decent stereo mic already.

The $400 price tag does give me pause to consider. However I do need to get something.

Doc

User Info Menu

There's a couple of Canon cameras that very popular with the vloggers. (video loggers)

eg Powershot G7 X and the S120

User Info Menu

Hi ,
    I have one of these: Olympus LS-20M. There's a seller on Ebay (In Japan, but free shipping) who has them for $169.
    The LS-20M works very well, and I acquired one mainly on reviews posted on Amazon (more costly there however). The only unusual feature is that the video camera & condenser mics are located on the top, which means you must point the device forward to record making the screen awkward to view (this isn't a problem for me as I typically use a tripod). The audio is superior to a typical camera with a movie mode.
    It also has an external mic jack. Don't panic-English instructions are available online.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco
    The Sony camera I linked to looks promising too. I already have a small Sony 1/8" inch stereo mic that cost $100. I got it for the Edirol/Roland 24bit MP3 R-09 recorder. So, I have a little decent stereo mic already.
    if that's the case, between the two of those, you should have your audio covered. i'd look for a decent camera (that you can figure out) which has an 1/8" audio jack so you could use your mic. or some software to combine the audio and video if you prefer to use the edirol to capture the audio and camera for video (in which case any camera will do, as you just need the video aspect). you could even scour the used market if you feel comfy doing that. damn near anything these days will shoot 1080, but even 720 ought to be plenty for your purposes. if your shooting area gets a decent amount of light you should probably be ok.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    if that's the case, between the two of those, you should have your audio covered. i'd look for a decent camera (that you can figure out) which has an 1/8" audio jack so you could use your mic. or some software to combine the audio and video if you prefer to use the edirol to capture the audio and camera for video (in which case any camera will do, as you just need the video aspect). you could even scour the used market if you feel comfy doing that. damn near anything these days will shoot 1080, but even 720 ought to be plenty for your purposes. if your shooting area gets a decent amount of light you should probably be ok.

Good suggestions. The Olympus LS-20M looks cool too.

One thing for me is ease of use. I really just want to point, shoot and upload. I used to be a pro audio gearhead, I had Pro Tools, I still have a Fairlight IIx under the stairs so I was in the sequencer/sampler/digital audio game at the onset. But I am old and cranky now, and I need my binky sometimes. I just don't have the patience anymore.

: )

Doc

User Info Menu

i'm not sure which mic you have or how good the edirol is, but given what you have, the simplest solution would probably by any camera with a hot shoe (a connection on top of the camera you can slide accessories into) and a 1/8" audio jack. park the mic in the hot shoe, connect it, and point the whole thing in your general direction. it would look roughly like this, though much simpler and less intimidating:

Zoom Q8 video/audio recorder-da2303ce3303cb03ca1fcecfcb531333335328c8a083-jpg

failing that, if it allows such a thing, you can park the edirol in front of your amp, run a cable out to the camera, point that at you and away you go. that should sound a little better too, depending on your mic placement, which shouldn't be too hard with that thing.

or just buy the stupid zoom already that's why they make those things. though you can get better results with other methods, people don't realize how aggravating it is until they try it, then give up and use their iphone. its why i so rarely do it, though really, really should. there's a lot to be said for having a less polished result vs having a theoretically superior result you'll never get around to.

User Info Menu

Check this out:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    there's a lot to be said for having a less polished result vs having a theoretically superior result you'll never get around to.
    Yep. You hit the hammer with a nail (or something like that)

The mic I have is about $80 these days, and still listed on Amazon. Sony Ecmms907 microphone. I got it a dozen years ago. I guess it's Ok for a tiny external stereo mic ....if I could find a recorder that took an external pin jack mic and functioned properly. It didn't work worth a crap in this Canon tape camcorder I still have.

However, all in one, easy to use, point and shoot, operable even by the brain dead, still has an appeal for me. But cheap has an appeal for me too, and free would be even better. (not gonna happen)

I have some ideas from here though. All I really knew about was the Zoom, however now I have options and options are a wonderful thing.....
    Attached Images Attached Images Zoom Q8 video/audio recorder-411sqeu83sl-jpg 

User Info Menu

Did you decide what you wanted?

It appears that the ZoomQ4 does not have a zoom feature and many complained about the wide lens making "interview" videos impossible.

Lot of nice reviews on the Zoom Q8. I don't like that it works only on batteries and there is no AC Adapter cord option.

Amazon.com: Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder: Musical Instruments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Did you decide what you wanted?

It appears that the ZoomQ4 does not have a zoom feature and many complained about the wide lens making "interview" videos impossible.

Lot of nice reviews on the Zoom Q8. I don't like that it works only on batteries and there is no AC Adapter cord option.

Amazon.com: Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder: Musical Instruments
    The irony ..,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Check this out:

Whoa! Who'd have thunk it?

User Info Menu

But the selling point for me on this thing is the ability to record loud, live music without the sound distorting. I can get cameras that make great pictures but the audio is bad when recording loud music.

I was actually about to buy the Zoom Q4. They are available for under $200.00 now on Amazon, but I need to be able to zoom and the reviewers seem since it won't zoom, and is a wide lens, it was only made for setting up in front of a live band or some other musical setting, and then recording. You can't use it for a closeup of your infant or to zoom in from far away.

The Q4, for an extra $200.00, does allow for these types of filming.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 12-02-2015 at 10:27 PM.

User Info Menu

strangely enough, i have half a mind to just grab one of these, plop it on top of the camera i already have and call it a day: Rode VideoMic Pro Compact Directional On-Camera VIDEOMIC PRO B&H

is much as i prefer running cables and micing everything and setting up cameras and putting it all together, with the rode it couldn't be easier, and they don't sound bad. i shot a wedding with one and was taken aback by the quality. they seem to be quite popular and the price, while not negligible, is justified.

i wonder how compatible that mic is with other kinds of cameras, or perhaps even phones?

User Info Menu

Some 1080 recorders are getting muy cheapo:

Bell & Howell Fun Flix DV30HD 1080p HD 20MP Digital Camcorder with 3" Touchscreen, 1x Optical, Black | Staples®

It may have nasty sound. I can't find a review. But $100 is cheap.

The Q4 is dropping to $199 (as noted here). There must be something cooking for NAMM in Jan. However, now may be the time to jump on a Q4. It won't get any lower I don't think (although a Q4 at $100 would be nice...)
    Last edited by docdosco; 12-05-2015 at 06:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco
    Some 1080 recorders are getting muy cheapo:

Bell & Howell Fun Flix DV30HD 1080p HD 20MP Digital Camcorder with 3" Touchscreen, 1x Optical, Black | Staples®

It may have nasty sound. I can't find a review. But $100 is cheap.

The Q4 is dropping to $199 (as noted here). There must be something cooking for NAMM in Jan. However, now may be the time to jump on a Q4. It won't get any lower I don't think (although a Q4 at $100 would be nice...)

I too have been looking at other cameras, reviews, and suggestions, etc... But I keep coming back to the Q8. Pound for pound for the money it seems to be the most suitable for my need at the moment, which is to make quick decent videos to share on social media. From everything I've read the Q8's audio is really good and the video is okay, could be better but is acceptable, just have to set up good lighting for the indoors. I like the additional XLR mic jacks in the back of it. I'm curious to see what the mic level direct out on my Quilter amp will sound like plugged into it

Gettin' ready to pull that trigger soon...

~Eddie

User Info Menu

I had my eye on the Q8, but.... at $199, the Q4 makes more sense to me right now. NAMM is at the end of Jan. and I'll bet something new might be unveiled by someone. At $199, the Q4 is much cheaper than the Q8 and XLRs aren't worth $200 to me ......well, I could get a better deal by a bit, I'm sure, and there are several other features on the Q8. But, again, dunno if I'd need them.

I can always go pester Zoom for a wholesale price or floor price or whatever at the NAMM show. One never knows when fortune will smile at us. Or grin at us . Or simply point it's bony finger and laugh at us (most likely)

The video quality and the video features, as you noted, are the the weak link. One wonders why they didn't put more thought into the video side. People are in fact 'watching' and as well as listening. However, whether the video, as is, will be sufficient, I won't really be able to determined until after I get the damn thing. I posted the link on that Bell & Howell because it is a 1080p, 20 MP video recorder with a zoom feature dirt cheap. So, one wonders why the Zoom doesn't zoom?

User Info Menu

The Q8 does zoom, I see. Just not very well from this review:

Issue 2: digital 'zoom' capability. Even at 1.5x maximum digital zoom, I was barely able to zoom in on the stage from the soundboard, about 200 feet away. So, the video quality of the bands playing... not so great. This camera really would benefit from being a LOT closer to the stage, since it has such a wide angle lens, but then you have issues with the sound field and where you're going to convince the sound techs to let you plug in.

Some people really like the Sony recorder. It has a very good lens and the video quality is excellent. The 2 reviews at Sweetwater give it good grades. One guy ABed it with the Zoom and says the audio quality is comparable but the Video on the Sony smokes the Zoom

• Sony HDR-MV1 Music Video Recorder:
    • Full HD 1920 x 1080p Video at 30 fps
    • Record Audio Using LPCM or AAC Formats
    • Built-In Wi-Fi with One Touch NFC
    • 120° Stereo Microphone Array
    • 120° Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar Lens
    • HDMI Output & Multi Terminal USB Port
    • Clear Photo 2.7" Widescreen LCD Monitor
    • Microphone Input & Headphone Jack
    • Manual or Auto Audio Level Control
    • On-Screen Meter for Monitoring Levels

So, more research is in order I suspect. Here is more on the Sony:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Fc5gfgodANEPGw

Last edited by docdosco; 12-06-2015 at 02:59 AM.

User Info Menu

I saw the demo where the Sony was compared to the Zoom and the video quality on the Sony was noticeably better, which in itself would have sold me on it. But I noticed the viewer is on the side of the camera body and one thing I need is a camera with a viewer that pops out and flips around so I can see myself from the front of the camera and activate the recording without having to get up, similar to what I do with my Samsung smartphone. I suppose one could just get up and push the record button then go sit down and start playing, it's easy enough to edit that part out of the final cut. But I'd really prefer something that works something like my smartphone camera.

One feature I'd like to have that the Zoom doesn't have is a remote control, but then I don't think any of the other cameras in the same class do either. I'm not totally sold on the Zoom Q8, so maybe I'll just hang on and wait till after the NAMM show and see what new stuff pops up, if anything it should knock all the prices down on all the older stuff
    Last edited by EddieLastra; 12-06-2015 at 05:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLastra
    I saw the demo where the Sony was compared to the Zoom and the video quality on the Sony was noticeably better, which in itself would have sold me on it. But I noticed the viewer is on the side of the camera body and one thing I need is a camera with a viewer that pops out and flips around so I can see myself from the front of the camera and activate the recording without having to get up, similar to what I do with my Samsung smartphone. I suppose one could just get up and push the record button then go sit down and start playing, it's easy enough to edit that part out of the final cut. But I'd really prefer something that works something like my smartphone camera.

One feature I'd like to have that the Zoom doesn't have is a remote control, but then I don't think any of the other cameras in the same class do either. I'm not totally sold on the Zoom Q8, so maybe I'll just hang on and wait till after the NAMM show and see what new stuff pops up, if anything it should knock all the prices down on all the older stuff
    You planning to go to NAMM? I should really do a post and ask who will be there.

I am not sold on any of the models right now. Why would either Sony or Zoom or anybody else not be able to make a product with a flexible camera and 24 bit audio? Maybe they figure that musicians buying a audio/video deck primarily for Youtube don't care about the video capabilities beyond 1080....