The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    Sorry about reviving this thread, but I wondered if you've heard of any new cameras at NAMM or elsewhere?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good idea to bring it up.

Zoom improved the lens on the Q4. Scheduled release next month they told me. This is why Zoom have had a price drop from $299 to $199 street price lately I suspect.

So, this is what I was waiting for.

https://zoom-na.com/products/field-v...video-recorder

I had a small group together to try and buy at dealer cost. Well.... $5k buy in and 30k a year.

Hmmmm... there went buying 3 to 5 units at cost for me and my friends .... haha

However I still have a card up my sleeve. Duse or Ace, I don't yet know.

Calling Zoom right now... on hold

User Info Menu

Left a message for the artist rep to call me back.

So, we'll see if they have artist pricing, if I can get it, how long would I have to wait, or if they go "er... and just WHO are you again???"

User Info Menu

I will be watching this.

I see it has digital zoom. I need at least a little zoom for when I am not close to the stage.

Thanks for the update. I hope they can keep it under $300.00 (US Dollars).

User Info Menu

A fixed, wide angle lens is not the right choice for individuals making videos IMO. I bought the sony camera that has similar specs and found that if I wanted to post a video of just the guitar filling the frame, I had to have the camera about 1 foot away from me. The sony's lens is 40 degrees more narrow than the zoom product so with the zoom the issue will be worse.

These cameras were designed primarily for shooting a full band from up close, hence the wide angle lens.

User Info Menu

Jack,

Zoom got a lot of complaints on that lens, and you nailed why.

Hopefully the new lens is more versatile than the previous one. By how much, I don't know yet.

User Info Menu

I need to make a correction, i saw the 120 degree on the zoom and misread that as the zoom coverage. 120 degree is the audio coverage so I suspect it's a more narrow field of view than the Sony and so it may be viable for the kinds of stuff we do. I may have to try one although these days, I record the audio direct.

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco
    Jack,

Zoom got a lot of complaints on that lens, and you nailed why.

Hopefully the new lens is more versatile than the previous one. By how much, I don't know yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco
    Left a message for the artist rep to call me back.

So, we'll see if they have artist pricing, if I can get it, how long would I have to wait, or if they go "er... and just WHO are you again???"
    Thanks Doc,
    I'll wait to hear your report!

User Info Menu

I can't wait to hear from me either.....

Zoom had to fix that lens. It was getting dismal reviews. They must know that with a proper lens, the Q4 camera sales would zoom .... yuk yuk

User Info Menu

The Zoom Q4n has been out a while. The complaints are still the same.... the video is not as good as some people expect. Although, if it is good enough for Youtube with great audio, that makes it better than whatever else is out there in a 'one size fits all' video/audio recorder.

So, the unit ships without a power supply. The power supply is pricey, even on Ebay.

Well, guess what? Zoom has the same rating and connections as the MagicJack adaptor I don't use. 5v / 1 amp. I suspect many phones use this too.

You can't run the Zoom off the adaptor, I don't believe. It only charges the battery in the Zoom like a still camera battery charger does.

My other choice is to use my Nikon for the high def video and get the Tascam recorder designed to do the audio end of a high def shoot. However that means editing the sound to video together and defeats the 'all in one' nature of the Zoom....

User Info Menu

I ordered the Zoom Q4N yesterday. I bought it from Gear Tree, as they gave me a 10% discount off the $299 street price. Final w/ shipping $269. I didn't ask for any more off as everyone needs to make a living and that is a fair price for a new one. These guys also offer 10% off to first time buyers (on any gear) just to sign up for their newsletter, so that is a cool thing to do also.

I'll update as soon as I get it. The new Q4N lens makes a big difference I have read, especially in low light.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update on this Doc, and congratulations on getting such a good price. I am kind of like you, I don't like to squeeze people for every cent. Some would laugh at you and say that was bad business but I admire it.

Kind of makes you wonder if a business would pay 25 cents an hour if it were not against the law and they could get someone to take it.

Anyway, your thread helped me in my research.

If I am going to spend money on a camcorder, I am going to get one of those $700.00 ones with options to zoom and that will take an external microphone. I need to be able to adjust the gain and sensitivity for some of the louder concerts I might record.

Take Care and Happy Recording, Amigo!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update Doc.
    Looking forward to your review.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.

AlsoRan: I had thought about the dual systems but frankly, I want simple. Point and shoot. I want to just leave it set-up in the corner and make videos by the ton. If the quality isn't good enough I can always upgrade. However the older I get, the less hassle I want. I think for Youtube/Facebook/promo stuff it will work fine.

I bought cheap razors the other day. I found some in the display that were still made in America. This might not last for much longer so I bought them. We had a 5.6 quake here yesterday and I feel in my bones that the big one is coming. This is not the forum for prepping, but I am in full bloom prep mode right now living in the LA basin. A basin that may go swirling down the drain anytime. So, I am downsizing just in case. My room full of guitars is protected first, then my children... (just kidding)

Seriously, I am starting to get rid of the big heavy equipment. Anyone want to buy an early 80's Fender Concert amp that weighs as much as my refrigerator ... cheap???

PS... RonD... I talked to relatives in Canada today. That's my escape route if I can find an open road... haha

On a brighter note, I will update on the Zoom when it gets here.

User Info Menu

Doc, you'll always be welcome!