The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    How long roughly does it take to set up a Real Tracks backup trio or something? I really like the results as basic tracks for home recordings short of oxygen breathing human musicians.

My tech stuff is aging at this point. MacBook is about five years or more now. PC more like three or four.
    It's pretty quick - you basically type chord names into cells a bit like a spreadsheet. e.g. C, Am7b5 etc. You can keep the chord types very basic and do an option to 'jazz up' the chords afterwards, this adds all the extensions so 'C' becomes 'Cmaj7' for example. For an AABA standard you only need to type the first 8 bars and the bridge, you can copy and paste the rest into place. Set the tempo and press play.

If you look at the pgmusic website I think they have video demos showing how you enter a tune.
    Last edited by grahambop; 07-29-2016 at 11:54 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use the BIAB to create and export backing tracks to a WAV file, and then burn this to a CD.

For instance, for my Jazz Blues practice, I have a CD with Blues in F7 at different tempos. While I am in the car on my daily commute, I play the track and hum/scat to it while going down the highway.

It is a great way to get a progression in your head. If I come up with a riff I like, I record it on a little micro recorder that I carry.

I also use BIAB to see how some of the songs I have created would sound when played by a band. I really like some of them, while others were not quite what I wanted.

I will even play with some of my original songs, experimenting with chord subs, and sticking in ii-Vs here and there.

It has fulfilled many of my music needs.

User Info Menu

I use BIAB daily and consider it to be the most useful tool I have ever found for teaching and practice. IMHO, it can't replace live players for jazz improvisation but it really is a great "time saver" for serious jazz guitar studies. I have used it often for solo gigs and duo gigs with my wife (Vocalist).

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    I use BIAB daily and consider it to be the most useful tool I have ever found for teaching and practice. IMHO, it can't replace live players for jazz improvisation but it really is a great "time saver" for serious jazz guitar studies. I have used it often for solo gigs and duo gigs with my wife (Vocalist).

wiz (Howie)
    Ciao, Howie! Thanks for all you do on the forum.

Could you be a bit more specific as to how you use BIAB for solo or duo gigs?

User Info Menu

Hi,

An update on this subject - as of BIAB 2019 (Windows version, in my case) there is a checkbox in Song Settings called 'Force Song to Simple Arrangement (non-embellished)'.

I can't vouch for every possible case, but in general checking this will do what it says and remedy the situation described in this topic. (Be sure to regenerate the song after changing the setting.)
    Attached Images Attached Images BIAB: When you input a V7 chord, it plays an altered V7 Chord - Is this true?-biab-simple-01-jpg 

User Info Menu

sj1 is correct. I had had this exact issue forever with BIAB. There would be a 7th chord voicing the Piano part would play that just sounds all wrong and awful. I often import BIAB generated midi files into Apple Logos where I would re-voice the piano notes of the crap chords to my liking.

I finally called PGMusic and was told to select the "Force song to simple arrangement, non embellished" and that seems to be a little better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin
    sj1 is correct. I had had this exact issue forever with BIAB. There would be a 7th chord voicing the Piano part would play that just sounds all wrong and awful. I often import BIAB generated midi files into Apple Logos where I would re-voice the piano notes of the crap chords to my liking.

I finally called PGMusic and was told to select the "Force song to simple arrangement, non embellished" and that seems to be a little better.

Can you be more specific than "seems to be a little better"?

I'm considering buying this software, but this sort of thing would be a deal breaker for me.

User Info Menu

IMO it's unlikely another user is going to put themselves on the line to say "I guarantee you'll be satisfied!"

However, PG Music *has* put themselves on the line (for 30 days).

FWIW, I recommend you take them up on their satisfaction guarantee offer at some point where you know you'll have enough time available in the next month to evaluate and come to a good decision for yourself.

Cheers!

BIAB: When you input a V7 chord, it plays an altered V7 Chord - Is this true?-pg-music-30d-guarantee-jpg

User Info Menu

I'll add also that I'd love to see an official comprehensive PG Music technical explanation of the 'Force Song to Simple Arrangement (non-embellished)' feature - exactly what it will and won't do under different circumstances (if there are differences).

From my own user's POV, I'd like to be able to tell BIAB to absolutely, definitely *only* play the chord notes as per what I have specified with the symbols I've typed in.

Then separately, I'd like for BIAB to be able to do all kinds of embellishments when I set options for it to do so.

I'm not saying we aren't there now (we might be), but BIAB has had such a long and interesting course of evolution that I find it hard to say for sure! (and doing the definitive set of experiments in the field is not something I currently have the time to prioritize)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sj1
    IMO it's unlikely another user is going to put themselves on the line to say "I guarantee you'll be satisfied!"

However, PG Music *has* put themselves on the line (for 30 days).

FWIW, I recommend you take them up on their satisfaction guarantee offer at some point where you know you'll have enough time available in the next month to evaluate and come to a good decision for yourself.

Cheers!

I wouldn't consider it putting themselves on the line to say something like, "Since that time I haven't noticed any issues." or, "I don't know. I haven't really had the time to mess with it much."

"seems to be a little better." has one too many qualifiers for my comfort.

User Info Menu

I´ve checked it seriously
    Here is the real answer:
    In BB or Realband go to
    1)Options
    2)Preferences
    3)Arrange
    4) Find roll down menu for Natural Arrangement

Choose NEVER

Now YOU decide :-)