The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi All,
    I need some help. I use my Ipad air or my Iphone 6 with Tempo to learn songs. I think its a great tool. Ideally, I would love to plug my guitar in, use Garageband for an Amp Simulation and run Tempo at the same time. This way, I can hear both the song I'm trying to learn and my guitar through the headphones. I think it would make it easier to learn songs. (and practice too..) Plus my hearing is not as good as it used to be and I think using the headphones would help.. I also see a benefit with this as it would allow me to learn songs in the middle of the night when I cant sleep.
    What interface has the lowest amount of latency when doing something like this? I tried this last year with an iRig and the latency was bad. I actually returned the product to the store.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe D.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Apogee Jam (not sure if the 96k has lower latency than the regular Jam) is fairly low latency and is powered by your iPad. The Jam is input only and probably the best you will find, at a reasonable price, and without having to use external power or batteries.

The Apogee One for iPad & Mac has guitar input and headphone output but with an iPad requires batteries or wall wart (there are 2 Apogee One's: 1) Mac only, 2) iPad & Mac. The cheaper one is not for iPads).

For better performance the RME Babyface is tough to beat, but will require external power and is probably overkill (unless you need 12 in & 12 out on your iPad. RME has a video showing an iPad recording a large number of tracks - glitch free).
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 09-15-2015 at 02:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't know of one that doesn't have latency. I have used the line 6 interface and it's an improvement over iRig but still has latency so largely goes unused. Latency is a killer.

If I inderstand what you are doing, why not run iReal pro from your ipad and a headphone amp (like the mini pod or the korg) from your guitar in to a headphone mixer? That's what I do and it works great.

User Info Menu

I use the Line 6 sonic port and mobile pod app. There's a bit of latency but not enough to bother me. Actually I just found out you can alter the latency in the Settings for the pod app. It was set to 4 Ms so I will try it at 2 Ms which is the lowest setting.

Alternatively you may be able to use the Sonic Port without going through the pod app? I haven't tried this, but it might lower the latency even more?

User Info Menu

I use the Focurite iTrack Dock. Not really portable. It runs off a wall socket but it is low latency. Charges the iPad while you use it. Inputs are two XLR, 48v phantom, two line level, 1 instrument, guitar, from two pre-amps. There is also a USB Midi connector. Headphone and main outs, and direct switch so you can hear what's going in before the iPad gets the signal. I use it with a lightning dock extender cable from CableJive so I can set the iPad near me and not be chained to the dock. More than meets my needs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    I use the Focurite iTrack Dock. Not really portable. It runs off a wall socket but it is low latency. Charges the iPad while you use it. Inputs are two XLR, 48v phantom, two line level, 1 instrument, guitar, from two pre-amps. There is also a USB Midi connector. Headphone and main outs, and direct switch so you can hear what's going in before the iPad gets the signal. I use it with a lightning dock extender cable from CableJive so I can set the iPad near me and not be chained to the dock. More than meets my needs.
    I like that one. I will check it out at my local Guitar Center. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I use the Line 6 sonic port and mobile pod app. There's a bit of latency but not enough to bother me. Actually I just found out you can alter the latency in the Settings for the pod app. It was set to 4 Ms so I will try it at 2 Ms which is the lowest setting.

Alternatively you may be able to use the Sonic Port without going through the pod app? I haven't tried this, but it might lower the latency even more?
    I didn't know about this option. Thanks, I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    I don't know of one that doesn't have latency. I have used the line 6 interface and it's an improvement over iRig but still has latency so largely goes unused. Latency is a killer.

If I inderstand what you are doing, why not run iReal pro from your ipad and a headphone amp (like the mini pod or the korg) from your guitar in to a headphone mixer? That's what I do and it works great.
    I just want something simple with not a lot of devices, cords and adapters. This one sounds complicated.
    I was happy to hear the Line6 unit was an improvement over the iRig. But if it still has latency, then you just saved me a couple of bucks and a return trip. Thanks Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Apogee Jam (not sure if the 96k has lower latency than the regular Jam) is fairly low latency and is powered by your iPad. The Jam is input only and probably the best you will find, at a reasonable price, and without having to use external power or batteries.

The Apogee One for iPad & Mac has guitar input and headphone output but with an iPad requires batteries or wall wart (there are 2 Apogee One's: 1) Mac only, 2) iPad & Mac. The cheaper one is not for iPads).

For better performance the RME Babyface is tough to beat, but will require external power and is probably overkill (unless you need 12 in & 12 out on your iPad. RME has a video showing an iPad recording a large number of tracks - glitch free).
    I am glad you said that about the Apogee unit. I had my eye on it. I am hoping that's the one.
    I never heard of the RME unit and I will check it out. Thanks Max!

I really appreciate everyones input. I want a simple solution that I can use when I travel, when I cant sleep and when I just want to polish up quick. Maybe I can try out each unit before I buy it, but I don't like going to music stores and trying out gear. Just not my thing..

Thanks everyone. I'll report back and let you know what I settled on.

Joe D.

User Info Menu

I use an Apogee Jam on my iPad with Garage Band, works well, would recommend it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    I use an Apogee Jam on my iPad with Garage Band, works well, would recommend it.
    No Latency? If yes, I love it!!
    Thank you my man. Joe D

User Info Menu

irig HD, not older irig gets the job done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    irig HD, not older irig gets the job done.
    Boatheel, No Latency issues?
    Thanks, Joe D.

User Info Menu

Not for me or for this reviewer:

iRig HD Review | IK Multimedia | Guitar Effects | Reviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

They've also just increased the sampling rate.........

User Info Menu

I wonder why some have issues and others don't? The iRig that I had was the HD version. It was noisy, and suffered from terrible latency. Maybe it was just a bad one.
    Thanks for your help Boatheel.
    JD

User Info Menu

If you have a practice amp with Aux In and headphone out then you can route the audio from your iPad/phone through the practice amp. The Micro Cube does a good job at this if you don't mind mono in your headphones.

User Info Menu

That's a great Idea but I want just my Guitar, some sheet music and my iPad.
    I am getting to that point in my life where less is more. If I could I wouldn't bring an amp to a gig. I would just ask the audience to come in closer...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    If you have a practice amp with Aux In and headphone out then you can route the audio from your iPad/phone through the practice amp. The Micro Cube does a good job at this if you don't mind mono in your headphones.

User Info Menu

Shure MVi - I was a Beta tester - it's very nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Digital-.../dp/B011BV9P34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Swap
    Shure MVi - I was a Beta tester - it's very nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Digital-.../dp/B011BV9P34
    Alright! That looks nice. Thanks ES!

User Info Menu

Can the built in DSP effects and EQ be bypassed?