$268?

Capo was $49. Transcribe $75
    $49 for Riffmaster too

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    $268?

Capo was $49. Transcribe $75
    I think the word you have in mind is "transpose"--to change the key--I have no idea how a capo helps in the task of transcribing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I think the word you have in mind is "transpose"--to change the key--I have no idea how a capo helps in the task of transcribing...
    No, he's talking about Transcribe! the software product.

User Info Menu

Just to inject another name in this discussion. Last night I was researching a program called Song Surgeon which has a lot of nice capabilities. Anyone with experience with this software?

User Info Menu

I'm about to pull the trigger on Song Surgeon. The reviews and demos are great. I'll post my opinion in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Just to inject another name in this discussion. Last night I was researching a program called Song Surgeon which has a lot of nice capabilities. Anyone with experience with this software?

User Info Menu

Don't see what Transcribe is missing when looking at the other products.

Among its features I use regularly : its ability to annotate text along the waveforms (chords, notes, lyrics, thoughts, whatever ..) and its scripting feature.

A new version is coming shortly (free for registered users).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    No, he's talking about Transcribe! the software product.
    So what's the point of mentioning a capo always doing the job? Total non-sequitur

User Info Menu

Not a MAC guy? Capo is a MAC music app specifically created for guitar only. The Capo app does much of what Transcribe does...slow down, transpose, etc.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/capo...96977615?mt=12

"Capo" is the name of a software product.. http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/

I use audipo every day. Not necessarily because it's the best, but because it's the most convenient. It's on my phone . So, I can go from using it to learn sections of a solo while driving, at the dentist's office etc. , and then, go straight to using it at home , with guitar in hand.

It's analogous to iReal vs BIAB. I don't think you can argue about band in a box being better, but it's probably not used as often by players anymore for ease-of-use reasons.

Audipo is simply the best phone based music app I've ever used. I guess I'm the only one? I never see it discussed. Is anyone else using this product?
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 06-13-2016 at 04:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by a2dahz
    $49 for Riffmaster too
    Okay, my first time visit to the site had $268 plastered on the page, and without reading assumed that was the asking price...kewl...too late for me, I'm content with Transcribe years in.

Was Transcribe the first of these programs, and the others came later?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I use audipo every day. Not necessarily because it's the best, but because it's the most convenient. It's on my phone . So, I can go from using it to learn sections of a solo while driving, at the dentist's office etc. , and then, go straight to using it at home , with guitar in hand.

It's analogous to iReal vs BIAB. I don't think you can argue about band in a box being better, but it's probably not used as often by players anymore for ease-of-use reasons.

Audipo is simply the best phone based music app I've ever used. I guess I'm the only one? I never see you discussed. Is anyone else using this product?
    You are not alone. Audipo rocks.

User Info Menu

Not a MAC guy? Capo is a MAC music app specifically created for guitar only. The Capo app does much of what Transcribe does...slow down, transpose, etc.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/capo...96977615?mt=12

Boy do I feel silly. Yes I'm a mac guy, but I never heard of capo before....

... I'm sitting under my desk now afraid that someone will see how stupid I feel.

no... I guess I should say what I tell students when they say "I've got a stupid question."

I tell them, "You're question is not stupid, it is ignorant. There is a cure for ignorance, but not for stupid..."

User Info Menu

Boy do I feel silly. Yes I'm a mac guy, but I never heard of capo before....

... I'm sitting under my desk now afraid that someone will see how stupid I feel.

no... I guess I should say what I tell students when they say "I've got a stupid question."

I tell them, "You're question is not stupid, it is ignorant. There is a cure for ignorance, but not for stupid..."
    You're over 60 too, you're entitled, therefore you get a pass!

I'm an ex PC guy, and didn't hear about "capo" until it was on it's 3rd revision. I bought it just out of curiosity

User Info Menu

What does "capo" do? The software, of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    What does "capo" do? The software, of course.

https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial...plored&outline
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 06-13-2016 at 08:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Love how the isolation feature, and even more its UI !

User Info Menu

You're over 60 too, you're entitled, therefore you get a pass!

I'm an ex PC guy, and didn't hear about "capo" until it was on it's 3rd revision. I bought it just out of curiosity
    But I've also been a Mac user since... 1985! I got the Mac when it had a whopping 512 Kilobytes of RAM and an 800 kilobyte floppy drive!

I'm not normally caught by Mac-related stuff I've totally never even heard of… which I guess is proof positive that I'm losing it... slowly, but losing it all the same.

User Info Menu

I use youtube. There, You can set it to 50% speed, and thats more than enough for me. I take an empty blank sheet then, and write down what the guy makes on his instrument.

Thats perfect for me.

User Info Menu

IMHO if the software is doing many things for you, you are not doing the task.

Quote Originally Posted by sjl
    IMHO if the software is doing many things for you, you are not doing the task.
    I don't think anyone is talking about software which automatically writes it down for you. What do you find permissible? Is picking up the needle and dropping it to rehear a phrase okay? That's essentially what these pieces of software allow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I don't think anyone is talking about software which automatically writes it down for you. What do you find permissible? Is picking up the needle and dropping it to rehear a phrase okay? That's essentially what these pieces of software allow.
    But even using a vinyl record is a crutch. You should hear musicians live, one time, and immediately go home, play it perfectly on your instrument from memory, and then notate it. Or better yet, since notation also is a crutch, you should just expect others to reproduce it live from memory too.

Me, I like Transcribe! ​but then I'm a wuss.

User Info Menu

mark, SMPlayer works like a dream not as heavy on resources also pretty natural sounding, vlc introduces artifacts can make it slightly artificial, try both they are free, i prefer smplayer, but thats me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    mark, SMPlayer works like a dream not as heavy on resources also pretty natural sounding, vlc introduces artifacts can make it slightly artificial, try both they are free, i prefer smplayer, but thats me
    I hadn't heard of SMPlayer. Have to check it out.

User Info Menu

Although I have used Transcribe for quite a while, I have experienced some issues with choppy video playback. The newest version doesn't require Quicktime, which I believe is part of the problem, but will only run on Windows 8/10 which I refuse to downgrade to. But no biggie, I now use the DAW Reaper for this purpose which is perfect. Only thing that you can't do (and perhaps it is possible with scripting) is training mode which increases the speed by X amount.