The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

What do you guys use for ipad apps?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've got one on my Iphone called Guitarist's Reference. Chords, scales, arpeggios of every type you can think of, shown in any key. For instance, I just entered C7b5 and it gave me 5 chord shapes. Very handy.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/guit...304048049?mt=8

User Info Menu

I use a few, but the basics are iGig Book and iReal Pro

IGig can be set up with fakebooks..(I've bought them all and continue to do so),

iReal pro just has the changes but can be edited and transposed.

Here's a list and info on the rest
    I have forscore and ? cant remember the other, don't use them much...

Sheet Music Readers For iPad: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide

User Info Menu

Amazing Slowdowner for transcribing

iReal Pro. (Based on docbop recommendation I purchased this, fantastic value) For playing transcribed tunes without the original recording and writing originals. Really easy to type in a progression and choose drums and or bass and or piano. If my drummer mate comers around push a button and drums are out and we have our own bass/organ)

Garage Band have loaded backing tracks into it to record playing over the top. Want to use this more for writing and recording.

User Info Menu

I have these:

Music

Productivity

• 30/30 (great to manage practice time)

User Info Menu

IRig HD with Garage Band and Fender Edition on AmpliTube.

User Info Menu

I use all 3 Jazz session apps.Great features, realistic sounding and easy to use, especially if you want to create loops for practicing.

SessionBand Jazz Music App for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch | SessionBand Jazz Volumes 1, 2 & 3

User Info Menu

wow thanks ibanezas100, jazz session app looks like it kicks irealbands but. Real instruments (& played by top pros), simpler to use and better for song writing. Have you used both?

User Info Menu

I've not used iRealB extensively so not able to do a direct comparison but a student of mine has it.
    I find Session band more realistic sounding and they have very cool styles ( their ECM styles are great for Metheny, Mehldau, Rosenwinkel type tunes).
    The odd meters are great fun too and you can assign any style to any tune which is great (Giant Steps as a bossa, Footprints in 7/4 etc).
    Played through a good docking station/speaker these are good fun to play along to and you can create your own tracks easily and quickly (I use them for lessons a lot). They're also solid in performance and fairly bug free, they've not crashed on me yet.

The only thing I would add is more chord types/voicings on the menu. I've not found a way to create slash chords or inversions and some common voicings (7susb9, maj7#5, 7#11) are missing. This thread reminded me so I've e-mailed them-I'll update when I get a response.

Overall, highly recommended.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100
    I use all 3 Jazz session apps.Great features, realistic sounding and easy to use, especially if you want to create loops for practicing.

SessionBand Jazz Music App for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch | SessionBand Jazz Volumes 1, 2 & 3
    All the Sessionband apps are on sale right now. The Jazz bundle for instance sets you back a meagre 3,99 Euros.
    Last edited by Duotone; 04-24-2015 at 04:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip!

User Info Menu

UnRealBook

User Info Menu

- iStrobosoft tuner many times a day
    - Steinway metronome sometimes
    - ForScore many times a day, to catalog and present all the music I teach with, and to electronically share via air drop or email
    - Turboscan to make multi page PDFs of handwritten transcriptions and lesson material via the iPad camera, and export to ForScore
    - Spotify, when a student wants to learn a particular song.
    - Forum Runner to waste time when I could be practicing
    - eBay to lust after things that I believe will make my life more complete
    - Soundcloud on the iPhone to record ideas (iPad version won't record, which is dumb)

I need to get a notation solution. I keep on using pen and paper because it's quick and doable on the fly during 30 minute teaching sessions... but my handwriting is pretty atrocious and un-professional looking.

User Info Menu

For notation/tab I use Progression. The virtual fretboard is pretty handy for quickly entering notes by tapping on the screen and helpful for students as it shows specific fingerings (and myself when I'm working on a tricky phrase).

User Info Menu

Very timely thread - I've just bought an Ipad, so this was useful.

I've got the Ireal Pro (real book) and now I've purchased those 3 Jazz Session apps for the princely sum of £2.99. Sounds good. I think I've seen all the musicians who play on the loops so I know they're good!

Also got a Line 6 Sonic Port so I have managed to record my guitar in Garageband with the Mobile Pod app. Best jazz sound I've found so far is with the Blackface amp and Blackface 1x12 cab.

Took a while to get the guitar to play while also playing back the Ireal Pro or Session apps. The trick was to go to Settings and switch on 'Background Audio' for the Line 6 Mobile Pod app. Seems daft they didn't make this the default setting.

Also got Anytunes so I can slow down tracks for transcribing.

User Info Menu

Ok, I know this sounds dim and untechy, but could someone argue or explain why an iPad is superior to a MacBook in this case. Or do certain applications not work well with the MacBook?

Jay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Ok, I know this sounds dim and untechy, but could someone argue or explain why an iPad is superior to a MacBook in this case. Or do certain applications not work well with the MacBook?

Jay
    The price? I don't know exactly what a MacBook does quite honestly, but they seem to be at least twice the price of an Ipad here in the UK.

I just find a tablet convenient for general use, without having to retreat to the spare room and fire up my ancient desktop, which is getting slower by the day.

The fact that I can do a reasonable level of multitrack recording on it and have all the real book charts etc. is a big bonus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit

Jay
    iPad apps tend to be a LOT cheaper than the MacBook equivalents.

User Info Menu

True, but I have a MacBook and not an iPad.

User Info Menu

What would be your ideal tech setup (guitar, amp, mixer, ....) for performing solo gigs? For example, I debate between doing guitar plus vocals with a classical rather than archtop guitar with midi functions to create potentially some backing arrangements. I know this is frowned upon rather severely here, but I recently posted on a guitarist, Gilbert Medam , on the Player forum that demonstrates the potential of good tech in an artist's hands.

User Info Menu

BTW strobosoft tuner is not the cheapest tuner but it has blown away everything except the older huge strobe tuners.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100
    For notation/tab I use Progression. The virtual fretboard is pretty handy for quickly entering notes by tapping on the screen and helpful for students as it shows specific fingerings (and myself when I'm working on a tricky phrase).

Looks interesting. Does it have the option to align the fretboard for lefties?

Ted

User Info Menu

Don't sleep on TouchNotation first musical score app for the iPad you can use a digital pen to enter notes.

User Info Menu

Set List Maker is very handy.

User Info Menu

For late night headphone practice I like the Bias amp simulator on the iPad. Pick the type and number of tubes for the pre and power stages, move the graphic EQ between the tone stack and the power and dial in the sound. Or just download a preset from its cloud service. But when volume is not an issue I do prefer the sound of a physical amp.

For effect chain weirdness Flux FX is a lot of fun. Adrian Belew was involved in its design.