The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

I used to use the website keepvid.com but today when I tried to save a video there were a ton of popups asking me to run various antivirus software. Since keepvid utilizes java I wasn't about to give it permission to run java again. So I need to find a new solution.

I routinely save youtube clips and run through through transcribe software to transcribe solos.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This might not be the most elegant solution, but I use a little headphone splitter on the audio out of my Mac, one goes to my headphones, the other I run back into the audio input. Then I can 'record new sound file' on Transcribe and at least get the audio off of the Youtube file I'm looking to transcribe. I'd be interested in a good way to directly save the YouTube vids as well, hope someone here has a viable option.

PK

User Info Menu

If you are on Mac then get this free Safari extension

YouTube downloader tool - Fastesttube!

When you look at a YT clip you will see a download button.
    This allows you to download in a number of formats and with or without video.

User Info Menu

I use this one:

Youtube Downloader HD - Fastest Free Youtube Video Downloader

You do have to update it quite often, i.e. each time youtube try and put more obstacles in the way.

User Info Menu

Hmmm, I'm glad Jack started this thread. I could use something like this too. Good to see there are a few options. I'll wait to see if more are mentioned before trying any one of them. (It's not a pressing issue for me but it is something I would like to have.)

User Info Menu

On the Mac, I use the Airy downloader. Its fast, and it let's you choose the resolution and target folder. It also allows you to download videos as mp3 files. It is not a browser plugin, but it allows you to do multiple downloads at once if you wish, by copying and pasting multiple URLs into the source window. FWIW, it looks to me like the Airy product was recently bought by Eltima.

I also tried BIGASOFT, which totally did NOT work for me.

User Info Menu

With Firefox I use Video Download Helper:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ownloadhelper/

It puts a little icon on the toolbar--if anything is downloadable it lets you know and you just click on it to select and start the download.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.

It puts a little icon on the toolbar--if anything is downloadable it lets you know and you just click on it to select and start the download.

Danny W.

I also use this one with Firefox/PC (update to version 5.0.1) after experimenting with several such tools.

Version 5.0.1 changed the UI offering a tabbed interface in addition to the list of downloable files for settings, conversions, etc ... That makes the tool much easier too use.

It also fixed downloading problems (see next paragraph), and the downloading seems faster than with the previous versions.

You must be aware that updating such a tool to a newer version is constantly required, as soon as you observe that some videos can't be downloaded as a result of whatever happens on the YouTube site, whether it is intended to prevent downloading or not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.

Danny W.
    Me too - used it for years, never had a problem with it.

Anyone try YTD video converter? It's not free but I don't mind paying if it works.

YTD Video Converter

User Info Menu

Whatever you folks do, be careful.

While downloading an update of YouTube Downloader last year, I downloaded a virus that wiped out my desktop.

Also, here is a warning about the virus that was in THAT version of Youtube Downloader:

Malware from Youtube Video Downloader - Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 03-29-2015 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity, I see that one has mentioned Real Player. Any particular reason?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Just out of curiosity, I see that one has mentioned Real Player. Any particular reason?
    I never liked it and as you can see doesn't get much support from 3rd parties or users.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I never liked it [Real Player] and as you can see doesn't get much support from 3rd parties or users.
    Is there a particular reason? For example, if someone asked me, "Is Real Player okay?" I would have to say, "Far as I know." But if it's bad in some way that a friend in the know should mention to a potential user who is not in the know, I'd like to know what it is. ;o)

User Info Menu

Nobody seemed to mention any of the screen capture type video recorders, so I'll mention it. There are plenty of softwares that allow you to record a video of whatever is on your screen and you can adjust the size of the area to be captured. Usually people use these softwares for recording video game play videos, but they can record anything of any size that is on your screen. For example a well known program is called "Fraps". I recently purchased a program like this, but after doing a lot of research to see what reviewed the best I came to the conclusion that the software called "Action!" was one of the better ones. Since your needs are simple I'm sure you could get any of them and it would get the job done, even the cheapest ones. You can even use some of them completely free, but they put an annoying mark on the middle of the video usually, like "this video was recorded with XXXX". I'd say try some of the free ones and if you like them consider purchasing them, because then you could use them for anything you might want to record. I bought mine mainly so I could attempt to do some game videos, and I also want to try to make some music instructional videos that show things on my desktop screen such as my notation program. If you're interested in these types of softwares google "video capture software", or just go straight to the Fraps or Action! websites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Is there a particular reason? For example, if someone asked me, "Is Real Player okay?" I would have to say, "Far as I know." But if it's bad in some way that a friend in the know should mention to a potential user who is not in the know, I'd like to know what it is. ;o)

Be a long time since I used it just remember many tech issues, kind of remember buffering issues (didn't it have to re-buffer to replay a video?), wasn't it Java based, just not worth the efforts and again it was only getting minimal industry support, so why swim up stream. Youtube supports the main formats and HTML 5 video so pretty compatible no matter what platform or browser you're on.

This isn't the same as the YTD downloader I mentioned previously is it?

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Whatever you folks do, be careful.

While downloading an update of YouTube Downloader last year, I downloaded a virus that wiped out my desktop.

Also, here is a warning about the virus that was in THAT version of Youtube Downloader:

Malware from Youtube Video Downloader - Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

User Info Menu

I checked back and the one I was using that gave me the virus was actually called "YTD Video Downloader."

YTD Video Converter

I have used it a few times since then (actually on one of your videos and one of Reg's videos), along with some nice stuff on Youtube.

It worked fine but you know how it is when you get burned - you are hesitant to use it again.

User Info Menu

want to download this vid?

goto to the link and write ss before youtube, like this

https://www.ssyoutube.com/watch?v=Om6HDUKBbzE

and then ...download what you want! flv, mp4, audio, etc.
    Last edited by solrach; 03-30-2015 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I checked back and the one I was using that gave me the virus was actually called "YTD Video Downloader."

YTD Video Converter

I have used it a few times since then (actually on one of your videos and one of Reg's videos), along with some nice stuff on Youtube.

It worked fine but you know how it is when you get burned - you are hesitant to use it again.
    I did some more research and found that lots of users complained about spyware and trojanware with that software so I won't be using it.

User Info Menu

I got tired of all the nonsense (malware, viruses, pop-ups, etc) and purchased:
    Solid YouTube Downloader and Converter.

It has a pretty straight-forward interface and lets me download both video and mp3. I've been using for about 2 months and so far, so good.

http://download.cnet.com/Solid-YouTu...-75327888.html
    Time Limited Offer: $39.95 $29.95 25% Off
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Instant license and registration code delivery.

User Info Menu

I took a chance and updated my YTD Video Downloader. It downloaded and installed a PC Cleaner program. I uninstalled the PC Cleaner and the computer seems fine for now.

I just did it a few minutes ago.

Just an FYI.

User Info Menu

Another one which tend to install things unrelated to video and music download : DVDVideoSoft | World's #1 Freeware specially since it may install quite a number of things you are probably not interested in, and this is attempted at every update ...

User Info Menu

If it's any help ...audacity is good for slowing down audio.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I did some more research and found that lots of users complained about spyware and trojanware with that software so I won't be using it.
    Hey, Jack. I've been looking at this myself. Wondering if you ever found something you were satisfied with on this topic?

Thanks.