The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi I am looking for some PC program that can create backing tracks and is able to transpose keys?
    Thanks,
    Pushkar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Band in a Box is the usual choice

PG Music Inc. - Band-in-a-Box, RealBand, and more

Oh great!
    Thanks very much!

User Info Menu

An alternative is to create your own tracks with Sibelius or Finale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    An alternative is to create your own tracks with Sibelius or Finale.
    Even better is the free program Musescore.

User Info Menu

Band in A Box is a no-brainer. You can get all the 557 Jazz Standards already input into it. And you can change the key as needed. Create your own tracks? Get BIAB. It is a no-brainer.

User Info Menu

Rich - do you use notation software or is your experience exclusively with BIAB, which I would like to get but do not yet possess?

User Info Menu

I have looked at both. I have bought BIAB, but the notation software is way beyond my limited skills. Basically for those of us without a college degree in music, BIAB is a no brainer.

User Info Menu

The real inexpensive alternative is ireal pro, $12.99.

iReal Pro - Music Book and Play Along

User Info Menu

Hello.
    If you want to compose your own try...
    http://www.mozart.co.uk/
    It is a time consuming but a lot of fun.

Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory.
    Llewelyn Wyn Griffith

Thanks guys! Will take a look at the options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    The real inexpensive alternative is ireal pro, $12.99.

iReal Pro - Music Book anfeatures.long
    I just downloaded this today for my tablet. It looks promising and offers portability and a lot of features. I started getting the hang of it almost immediately and started playing along to some standards.

User Info Menu

Can iReal Pro be loaded onto a PC? Have it on the phone but the screen is really too small.

User Info Menu

Looked at adds for BIAB latest version 2014. Anyone had a go at this system. I'm still struggling along at the bottom of the Jazz pond and don't know if it is a tool that will be helpful at this stage.
    Input greatly appreciated.

Please disregard the above inquiry. Just saw a commentary on the subject (BIAB 2015), in an earlier posting and do not wish to incite another verbal riot here.

Al B.
    Last edited by Al Br.; 03-05-2015 at 03:39 PM.

User Info Menu

BIAB has some practice tracks built in, so you can run some things through the cycle of keys.

Also, there's a Yahoo group about BIAB files and you can download a zip file someone made of backing tracks for (IIRC) "Patterns for Jazz."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Al Br.
    Just saw a commentary on the subject (BIAB 2015), in an earlier posting and do not wish to incite another verbal riot here.
    Oh, don't worry about it. Haters are gonna hate. That's what they do.

I've been a BIAB user since 2006 and as a learning aid and study tool is excellent.

It doesn't replace a good teacher, but surely's always available whenever you are.