Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Im using cubase AI 4 and on one of my recording when I go to audio mixdown I get a click saying my left and right connectors have to be set. I dont know what that is . Any help pls.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by erenavula View Post
    Im using cubase AI 4 and on one of my recording when I go to audio mixdown I get a click saying my left and right connectors have to be set. I dont know what that is . Any help pls.
    In the 'time ruler' above your tracks you should see two little triangular markers, you need to pull the left hand side one to the beginning of your track and the right hand side to the end. Anything in between will be mixed down.

It's been a while since I've been on cubase but I think ALT+P might set your markers to the beginning and end. Doing it manually is your best bet though

User Info Menu

Although wrote for Cubase SX it still contains many of the basic functions of Cubase and should provide a good reference for what you need

Cubase SX complete book

User Info Menu

In Cubase you cannot do any serious editing or exporting without setting the left and right locators first:
    1) Select an event and press P or,
    2) Select an event and press shift-G to set the locators and start looped playback or,
    3) Ctrl-click and alt-click in the ruler or,
    4) Drag the little triangles in the ruler area or,
    5) Shift-L or shift-R and type the measure number or,
    6) Stop the playback cursor where you want and type ctrl-1 or ctrl-2 (Num Pad) to set respectively the left or right locator to the cursor position...
    Is there any other way? :=)

User Info Menu

Currently I am dedicated in heart and soul to jazz guitar and recently I purchased a Peerless Monarch and it is great, but as an amp I have a Crate RFX65 does any one own one and how can I get that smooth jazz sound out of it.

User Info Menu

To get a good jazz sound out of any amp set the controls pretty much neutral, or 12 o'clock, then roll off your tone control to your liking... You can use some reverb but too much and your guitar will start sounding more rockabilly than jazz.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot Thread I'll give it a try today and let you know! are you familiar with this kind of amp? please let me know your comment.

User Info Menu

thanks a lot mel14830 are you familiar with this kind of amp or have you heard any comments, please let me know. by the way i'll try it today as you recommended.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Currently I am dedicated in heart and soul to jazz guitar and recently I purchased a Peerless Monarch and it is great, but as an amp I have a Crate RFX65 does any one own one and how can I get that smooth jazz sound out of it.
    Hi Izzy,

If you aren't getting a smooth sound from your Monarch, it is either your pick, your strings or your 'attack'. The attack you'll need to develop yourself, but the equipment is as follows:

Choose a pick that is reasonably heavy (I use Dunlop's Stubbies 3mm thick). A bass pick sometimes gives a great sound.

Strings are D'Addario 11's or 10's, flatwound. If you can cope with 12's they should give you a real fat jazzy sound.

The best amp for my Gibson ES175 is a Polytone Minibrute and it should suit your guitar too. If you can't run to a new Amp, then here's what I do.

Volume on the amp 75%

Bass between 40% and 50%. Treble around 25%. Not too much gain. And if you want the true sound, no reverb. Jazz guitar should sound as if it needs brightening.

I believe you have only one pickup is that right? if that's true you should have the right set up. You just need to find the amp settings to match. So, control the output volume and tone from the guitar itself.

Try that and see how you get on. If you don't like what you hear adjust the volume and tone on the amp until you do. Then write down the settings.

Have a listen to Matt Otten on Youtube. He plays a Monarch on some of his vids. He gets a great tone and if you aim for that you should be right on!

If you'd like to hear my Gibson's tone, send me a PM and I'll direct you to my page. Can't guarantee the jazz to be all that good, but the tone is ok!
    Best of luck.
    John
    'How can there be a wrong note in music?' ~ Joe Pass. ~

Joe was right. Now I don't play wrong notes. I just get 'shed-loads' in the wrong place!

User Info Menu

I'll agree with Chordwayze mostly. But the best picks I've found are the Jim Dunlop Jazz III picks. All of the pros use them. Their nice and fat, small, and with a sharp point. They cut through the string quick, and don't sound too bright like I feel the Stubbies do. The Polytone amps are well know in Jazz circles. Great tone and their small. One of these days I'll get one, but right now I need versatility for rock, blues, and jazz. So I use a Vox Valvetronix amp.I also have a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 which has a amazing analog chorus sound on it. This is another great Jazz amp. But its huge, heavy, and difficult to carry around to gigs.

User Info Menu

What's the best recording software for recording guitar? Is it Cubase or something else. I know that Pro Tools is the industry standard now, but is there something that is cheaper and easier to use?

User Info Menu

Hi Mel,

A friend of mine uses a 'Boss' recording 'studio', which cuts multi-tracks onto a CD recordable disc. He gets some good results, through a mike, for his sax, and and of course direct through the pickup, and into the unit for guitar.

I'll have a scout around Google and see if I can find one anywhere.

I don't do a lot of recording as such. Mostly it's recording Vids for use on Youtube. I do this to the hard drive with a Logitech webcam, Soundblaster sound card and a Behringer mixer for that.

John

Joe was right. Now I don't play wrong notes. I just get 'shed-loads' in the wrong place!

User Info Menu

Hi There Guitar Guys, I'm new here and I was on this forum page earlier and was referred to youtube (I think the player's name was guitargutz ) or something like that and man he was great, Gotta get back to his lessons and learn some chords. I couldn't recognize any of the chords he was using but they were delicious, Ciao for now, Vinniers

many thanks Donny,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinniers View Post
    Hi There Guitar Guys, I'm new here and I was on this forum page earlier and was referred to youtube (I think the player's name was guitargutz ) or something like that and man he was great, Gotta get back to his lessons and learn some chords. I couldn't recognize any of the chords he was using but they were delicious, Ciao for now, Vinniers

Hi Vinnie,

I tried to find guitargutz, but nothing came up. I wonder if you meant Jazzguts?

He is a tasty player, a good musician, and he knows his theory. You won't go far wrong if you find and follow his lessons.

I don’t want to teach you ‘egg-sucking’, but beware at first, of trying to learn too many chords for jazz. It’s good to know them, so by all means add to your chord-bank’ all the time.

But as you progress you'll form a stock of your favourites; chords that you’ll learn to use without thinking about it. Just so long as they are the right types of chords and you learn to use them in the right places. Then there's time to start worrying about the ‘big-stretches’. Again, be careful. Trying some of them gave me ‘carpal tunnel’ in my left wrist and that hampered me for a long time!

If you get hold of Mickey Baker's book for Jazz guitar, you'll see some introductory ‘new’ chords in the first part of the book. These will keep you going for months and will enhance your playing after the first month; guaranteed.

Not only does the book give you diagrams and theory, but it also gives you real-time progressions, so you can see how the chords work to substitute the basic shapes. In the end, it's practice. Stick with a couple of melodies until you know them inside out; even to the point of boredom.

Why so few songs? Well you will know that progressions fit more than one standard. That's why they call them standards. If you know one, then you probably know at least half a dozen others!

Good Luck.
    John

User Info Menu

Hi John,
    You're right I had the name wrong, Thanks for the tips !!
    I actually recommend the Mickey Baker Book for anyone who asks me about learning chords and I've memorized many of them,but I need to know some progressions like Jazzguts uses. And I'm going out to buy a later edition of Mickey Baker's Jazz Book if there is one to be found.
    Thanks Again ,Vinnie

User Info Menu

Hi Vinnie,

I do have the later volume of Mickey Baker's book, and it is quite deep into into harmony.

For progressions, I recommend Warren Nunes 'Background Chords', if you can find it.

This has most of the common progressions set out for you, with their substitutions. By getting to know them, you will be able to mix and match, to apply them to different standards.

For instance, 'Once in a While' has a middle eight that is very similar to that of 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square'. So the progression you might well find in Nunes's book, would fit either song.

Sorry if I am teaching egg-sucking again!

Best of luck and keep listening to Victor, aka as Jazzguts.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by erenavula View Post
    many thanks Donny,
    No probs, glad to have contributed!

User Info Menu

I just bought from an online store with cheap new laptops Have any of you heard of them?http://www.flatrox.com/