The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Hey hey, well I'm looking for something portable to easily record myself with and be able to playback what I've recorded straight away. I was looking at the zoom H4, but it seems a bit too fancy for my needs and then I found out it doesn't have a speaker. I don't need anything extraordinary, just something simple with decent audio quality for educational purposes. Would any of you be able to recommend me some products please?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Though it doesn't have a speaker, the Zoom H2 is cool. You could pick up some portable speakers from Radio Shack (for $10-15) or just use earbuds.

Is there much of a difference between the H2 and H4 when you compare quality/cost? Their prices don't differ that much if I recall correctly.

User Info Menu

To record guitar or even my jazz trio I use the Boss Micro BR. Which I think is perfect for these purposes.

User Info Menu

I got a Sony PCM-D50 back in December and have been using the hell out of it, it sounds just great. A bit pricey but it is worth it if you are planning to actually make recordings with it as opposed to just jot down ideas (though of course it works for that too). Might not be what you are looking for but I thought I'd mention it since it does what you're looking for (though no speaker, do they make recorders with speakers in them anymore?) and can do more if you need it in the future.

User Info Menu

Take a look at the Boss Micro BR . . . it will record using the built in mic, but it is also a complete 4 track digital recording studio . . . and costs less than most of the products that will only record.

Bill

All right, thanks everyone. I'm going to check out the micro br in the store today and see if it'll do the trick for me.

Dennis

I have the Zoom H2. I use it a few times a week and couldn't be happier. If you dont want something that doubles as a multi-track device, i say keep it simple and try the H2. The sound quality is very acceptable for the price and can also be connected directly via USB to your computer for recording sound direct to HD. I take mine to concerts as well.

User Info Menu

You should try the new Tascam DP-004 Digital Portastudio. It records CD quality into 2 tracks simultaneously and has guitar input and built in stereo mikes. Nothing fancy in terms of effects, but great for straightforward recording. You can also transfer wav files too and from a computer. There's no built in speaker, but the output can be connected to headphones, or an amp.

David

User Info Menu

You will laugh at me but I use my Sony HandyCam for quick recording of sound and/or video. In slow mode, it can record for 90 min into a DV cassette. It has very sensitive, quality built-in stereo microphones. Its speakers are loud enough, with its output cable you can connect it to a sound system or computer for mastering. It also has a remote control to start and stop the recording from distance.
    If I want to make serious recording though, I take my laptop computer anyway...
    Last edited by renema; 04-08-2009 at 08:08 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm considering a digital recorder myself. Would like multi-track and computer interface. What would you recommend?

User Info Menu

I'm in Houston TX (since year 2000) Guitar player, jazz-influenced commercial, retirement age, still gigging, country clubs and such. I'm looking for a digital recorder to do some multi-tracking projects and/or record some gigs. Also looking to meet other pickers doing recording -- maybe exchange some stuff, or collaborate by emailing tracks back and forth. Anybody interested?

dc in Bayou City

User Info Menu

I would concur with another reply about the Sony PCM-D50. It sounds tremendous and I recorded six hour long music classes over a six week period without even worrying about the batteries. Only read a little of the manual and the rest was easy.

Stringbean Guest
    Boss Micro Br .... multi track recording, built in mic, drum patterns, mic effects, line in effects, guitar effects, mix down effects.

one of the most practical features is a mp3 mixdown mode with full studio processing. You can have a track ready to upload to your cyber audience in minutes.

Downside: eats batteries fast, couple hours. doesn't work with rechargeables . external power source is extra $

That Tascam DP-004 looks nice, though. I like knobs better then menu's. The BR has no knobs, just buttons and two volume/level wheels. The BR does remember all the settings for each song...a big plus.
    Last edited by Stringbean; 04-08-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: The BR is really quite an amazing gadget.

User Info Menu

If you have an iPhone, the recording apps are cheap and not too bad.

User Info Menu

hello all

this is my first post here. i just wanted to add my comments regarding portabe recorders.

i highly recommend the Boss Micro BR.

i was searching for a multi-track recorder that wouldn't break my shoestring budget when i found this found this website;

Boss BR Community - Index

the members at this community are very helpful with advice on using the MicroBR and you can post music that you record. Jazz is in the minority, but they have accepted me and my songs that i create.

this song was done on the MicroBR;

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7422764

check out the MicroBR - you won't regret it.

Last edited by mr2cool; 04-08-2009 at 08:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Excerpt :
    Quote Originally Posted by renema
    You will laugh at me but I use my Sony HandyCam
    If I want to make serious recording though, I take my laptop computer anyway...
    I used a Sony Digital 8MM till a low life speed tweaker stole it The truth be know is there arn't any rules here only potentials that either work or do not

================================================== =======

Quote Originally Posted by rcrockett1
    I'm considering a digital recorder myself. Would like multi-track and computer interface. What would you recommend?
    I'm using a Digitech GNX4 . Got it new for $500.00 and now in the box new at the many online music stores you can get one for $400.00 new !

It's got USB .

Stand alone it records one or two tracks at once and hooked to a computer it does 4 tracks at once .

It has 8 tracks on it and you can free up tracks and bounce them to one track if your so inclined and need more space to record . And you can loop live with it .

================================================== =======

Quote Originally Posted by rcrockett1
    I'm in Houston TX (since year 2000) Guitar player, jazz-influenced commercial, retirement age, still gigging, country clubs and such. I'm looking for a digital recorder to do some multi-tracking projects and/or record some gigs. Also looking to meet other pickers doing recording -- maybe exchange some stuff, or collaborate by emailing tracks back and forth. Anybody interested?

dc in Bayou City
    There several great units out there to capitalize on now a days . They have good communities to join also like Digitech's and others like them . I am a happy camper with my GNX4 . and they are selling at a really reasonable price these days too . Look up the stats on one and you will be impressed I betcha !

And yep collaboration via the net and one of deez suckers and your styling Big Time Man !!

I could dig doing this with ya'll and there are forums that do this no matter what unit you use that I am a member of .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

User Info Menu

Excerpt :

Quote Originally Posted by mr2cool
    hello all

this is my first post here. i just wanted to add my comments regarding portabe recorders.

i highly recommend the Boss Micro BR. check out the MicroBR - you won't regret it.

================================================== ========

Hey Mr.

I am contemplating one of these as a portable unit to use when on the road while traveling when not driving ( heh heh wonder if I would get a moving violation if caught trying while I drove heh heh ) between gigs and or when ever I travel which I do a lot .

Do you use it live on stage ? Does it have a foot pedal input ?

I like the idea of having one in my guitar case ready for me when I get the :

" inspiration " !

They look great and sound great too and it's really priced competatively as well .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DennisW
    Is there much of a difference between the H2 and H4 when you compare quality/cost? Their prices don't differ that much if I recall correctly.
    THE ZOOM H4 IS WONDERFULL(see the specification in the page of ZOOM and you will see all this gear do) AND BETTER THAN H2,the only problem(for some person,not for me) is that you must study very well the manual before operating H4,and you can conect to speaker too,in the phone out.
    Saludos amigo

User Info Menu

has anyone tried the tascam DR-07?

User Info Menu

I have a Zoom H4 which I really like. I got it primarily because of the two combo jack (XLR or 1/4 inch) inputs. That means I can use much higher quality mics with it.

Jazzarian Guest
    Hey hey, well I'm looking for something portable to easily record myself with and be able to playback what I've recorded straight away. I was looking at the zoom H4, but it seems a bit too fancy for my needs and then I found out it doesn't have a speaker. I don't need anything extraordinary, just something simple with decent audio quality for educational purposes. Would any of you be able to recommend me some products please?
    How about a laptop and external USB or Firewire A/D unit?

Archie Guest
    I have a Boss BR600. It took a bit of flipping through the manual to learn how to use it, and I still don't know all the features, but it works well and has tons of built-in effects, as well as a built-in programmable drum machine. There is free downloadable drum programming software on the Boss website that makes it easy to program drum patterns on your computer (bigger screen, easier to make up song patterns) and then transfer them to the recorder.

There are a few things that are not that intuitive to figure out (like the fact that the drum track plays independently of your recorded tracks, and you have to bounce it onto a mixdown track along with your recording if you want to have it on our final mix), but overall I'd recommend it. I think it's a tidy little unit.

User Info Menu

Hey hey, well I'm looking for something portable to easily record myself with and be able to playback what I've recorded straight away. [...] I don't need anything extraordinary, just something simple with decent audio quality for educational purposes. Would any of you be able to recommend me some products please?
    It sounds like you just want a "scratchpad" type of recorder to pick up whatever's in the room. Good built-in mics are a plus for this kind of application. The Zoom H2 has four mics: two in a 90-degree (narrow) stereo pattern, the other two in a 120-degree (wide) stereo pattern.

My trio has been recording with an H2 at our weekly rehearsals. The bass player dumps the resulting WAV file onto his computer using an SD card reader, slices the recording into individual tracks using Audacity, and burns three CDs over the weekend. That gives each member an archive recording for review and practice.

The H2 is simple to use and sounds very good. I've also used an H2 with a line input from a modeling processor to record my solo improvisations and on a table in the audience to record live trio performances. You can hear examples of both at: David Lamkins - Reverb Nation.

I tend to avoid computer-based recording. There's just too much that can interfere with the flow of creativity, having to worry about all the different cables, adapters, settings, software and random glitches. The cost is certainly not advantageous, either...

User Info Menu

but can anyone recommend anything reasonably good AND CHEAP? I really don't have that much money to spend on a recorder...