The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

I don't think there's anything available at a lower cost than the Zoom H2, which sells here for US$179. Below that price you'll find voice recorders in the US$30 range.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the Zoom H2 and am happy with it. The mic and recording options are plentiful. Lately, I've been turning off one side of the mics and putting it in front of my band, as to reduce the crowd noise in the recording.

Quote Originally Posted by aviy
    but can anyone recommend anything reasonably good AND CHEAP? I really don't have that much money to spend on a recorder...
    aviy

as i said earlier and as others have said - the Zoom H2 is very good value and the sound is very passable. I use mine regularly

I have another option though depending on what you are looking to do. I have been using a Boss rC-2 loop station for about 18 months now. I love it to bits.

Boss Loop Station

With it I can lay down a chord passage and work on the melody ad infinitum and a whole load more. I can also load a passage from a song on my ipod and loop that to either jam over the top of change the tempo to help me work out the part. And it is very convenient as i can do almost everything with my feet - so it can also be worked into a live performance pretty easily as well. I dare say that practicing with it has improved my play considerably and made practice a lot more fun.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aviy
    but can anyone recommend anything reasonably good AND CHEAP? I really don't have that much money to spend on a recorder...
    Start looking around eBay, Kijiji, or Craigslist. I bought a BR-532 for $80. It uses SD cards and doesn't have a usb out but, a card reader at Radio Shack is only $15.

User Info Menu

Band colleague got a Yamaha Pocketrak lately - cost in UK about £150. Neat, easy to operate, built-in rechargeable battery, USB connection for downloading .wav recordings. Sound quality is very good. An excellent no-fuss scratchpad recorder.

User Info Menu

I would like to draw your attention to the new portable ALESIS I Multimix8 USB mixer, recorder and sound card... Excellent and affordable mixer for stage performance, it also connects to a PC for recording but most importantly it allows you to record your mix directly to your Apple iPod...
    Check it at:
    iMultiMix 8 USB

User Info Menu

+1 on the zoom h2.

User Info Menu

Zoom H1 will be available in July. Street price should be about $99. It's supposed to sound as good as the H2.
    Samson - Zoom - H1

User Info Menu

Korg SR-1 SOS. It does Sound-on-Sound (for all I know, the only handheld recorder to do that at present, but I may be wrong). Small enough to fit in a jacket pocket. It does have a speaker, but the volume is very low. Use earbuds/headphones or hook it up to your Hi-Fi / PA. Also use a mains adapter as it eats up batteries faster than you can snap your fingers. The built in microphone is quite OK for practice purposes etc., but it can be hard to place it optimally for recording. It will take an external mike too. I use it for practice with an Abersold track or one of those "Real Book" Band in a Box files recorded as the first track via the line in jack and my own playing for the next tracks. Not pro recording gear, but very portable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Korg SR-1 SOS. It does Sound-on-Sound (for all I know, the only handheld recorder to do that at present, but I may be wrong). Small enough to fit in a jacket pocket. It does have a speaker, but the volume is very low. Use earbuds/headphones or hook it up to your Hi-Fi / PA. Also use a mains adapter as it eats up batteries faster than you can snap your fingers. The built in microphone is quite OK for practice purposes etc., but it can be hard to place it optimally for recording. It will take an external mike too. I use it for practice with an Abersold track or one of those "Real Book" Band in a Box files recorded as the first track via the line in jack and my own playing for the next tracks. Not pro recording gear, but very portable.
    The Zoom H4n is multitrack (and has great mics), but it looks like the multitracking capabilities of the Korg are pretty wild.