The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How many of you use BIAB or similar software for practice?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use BIAB or a similar tool all the time

80 59.26%
  • I rarely use them but it is helpful

39 28.89%
  • Nah I play along with my old records man

16 11.85%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 141

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    ... So, unless I'm misinformed, the BIAB Ultrapak Plus with good jazz Real Tracks and other styles would cost around $470 for first timers, right? I'm expecting a pretty good tax refund, but given the crappy AGI to begin with in this economy, I guarantee my wife would kill me! Gotta win the damn Lottery...

Jay
    How many of you use BIAB or similar software for practice?-cdb11356ec83de6d8dc6b5cb411db6d7-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

RE BIAB,

I use only basic functions, no real tracks, no additional applications ..., it's very useful to punch in some chords and get instant drum track, bass line or key pad to export as MIDI into DAW of choice for editing and mix, saving yourself couple of hours with stupid songs from unrealistic and demanding, while not overly talented, wannabes who came to exploit your arranging and recording abilities at fixed all in rate, sounding like a flock of seagulls (not the band), while expecting you to turn it into Shania Twain, at least.

In regard to learning and rehearsing (Jazz) guitar practice, I think it is OK for checking out ideas, but real work should be done with and without metronome. With to get into habit of playing in time, without to get into habit of playing in time without external reference. Playing over backing track is not too good, as everything tend to sound better than in real life.

User Info Menu

So many uses for BIAB. Some you may not have thought of:

- put in just a song structure (no chords, but enter chords if you want), with where you want drum fills, change in drum pattern, etc. Use that with real track drummer and create a drum track. Then use that for your recording of a tune.

- create a track with whatever instruments you want to be your scratch track for a recording. That is edited out by the end of the recording process.

- Use the notation of a real track over a chord progression to learn an instrument. (I've done this for bass)
    Last edited by fep; 04-28-2018 at 09:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    So many uses for BIAB. Some you may not have thought of:

- put in just a song structure (no chords), with where you want drum fills, change in drum pattern, etc. Use that with real track drummer and create a drum track. Then use that for your recording of a tune.

- create a track with whatever instruments you want to be your scratch track for a recording. That is edited out by the end of the recording process.

- Use the notation of a real track over a chord progression to learn an instrument. (I've done this for bass)
    Can you expand on the last point please ?

User Info Menu

Hej fep, that was a cool idea, thanks for spreading it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Can you expand on the last point please ?
    You enter a chord progression, and select a style that includes a real track bass player. Then you click the notation icon, select bass in the notation window, and you have the notation of the bass track which was originally played by a studio musician. Then you learn from the notation and play along. This has been eye opening for me when looking at walking bass lines... lots of chromatics, approach tones etc.

I was surprised to see the real tracks notated.

You can do the same for non real tracks too, I just haven't done that.

I've learned the bass pretty much from BIAB. Pretty much all the bass lines and ideas (starting on the 2nd chorus) I play on this video where from learning with BIAB. (In addition, this is an example where all I used from BIAB for the recording was a BIAB drum track.)

Last edited by fep; 04-24-2018 at 12:38 PM.

User Info Menu

You enter a chord progression, and select a style that includes a real track bass player. Then you click the notation icon, select bass in the notation window, and you have the notation of the bass track which was originally played by a studio musician. Then you learn from the notation and play along. This has been eye opening for me when looking at walking bass lines... lots of chromatics, approach tones etc.

I've learned the bass pretty much from BIAB. Pretty much all the bass lines and ideas (starting on the 2nd chorus) I play on this video where from learning with BIAB. (In addition, this is an example where all used from BIAB for the recording was a BIAB drum track.)

Super, thanks, good reason to upgrade when the new Mac version comes, mine does not sound good any more, need those real drum sounds.

User Info Menu

I've learned the bass pretty much from BIAB. Pretty much all the bass lines and ideas (starting on the 2nd chorus) I play on this video where from learning with BIAB. (In addition, this is an example where all I used from BIAB for the recording was a BIAB drum track.)
    I just love to see guys using their noggin' to get the most out of a situation.

Bravo, fep!

User Info Menu

Good job, fep and thanks for the tip!

User Info Menu

A handy feature is that you can export the track to WAV and simultaneously split the instruments into separate WAV files. Then drop them into your DAW or recording software as individual tracks. So you can re-mix the drums, bass, piano etc ‘after the fact’. Or remove the piano altogether in the final mix if you want.

Also worth playing around with pan, tone and reverb settings in BIAB, this can make a surprising difference to the sound of the backing track. E.g. I was trying for a sort of ‘Wes and Mel Rhyne’ organ backing, it didn’t nail it until I boosted the treble and put the reverb way up on the organ, then it sounded much more like those Riverside organ trio recordings. Adding more reverb to the drums can sound good too.

User Info Menu

I used to use Impro-Visor, which at the time I found to be somewhat helpful with learning changes, keeping time and getting some ideas out of it. Now I mostly use books, backing tracks and Musescore+VLC to transcribe tunes. Also, I am learning how to use this MMA software for creating custom backing tracks - the main reason I don't use Impro-Visor anymore is because it can't change time signature and tempo mid-song.

User Info Menu

I use iRealPro. Great tool...

User Info Menu

FYI The 2018 version of BIAB for Mac is out now.

User Info Menu

IRealPro. I used BIAB before that. I have an older version of BIAB -- IRealPro sounded better (than my old version -- I don't know about new BIAB). Also IRealPro fits on my phone. OTOH, BIAB had melody.

IRealPro made a big difference for me. I set it for 13 repeats and a key change every chorus around the cycle. Drilling myself in this way produced fairly rapid gains, as I identified chords I was weak on in specific parts of the neck. By rapid, I mean months, not years.

It also helped with learning tunes -- and probably could even more if I disciplined myself to comp in all 12 keys without looking.

User Info Menu

I see some complaints earlier in this thread (2014) that BIAB has a difficult user interface. Has it improved over the years? I'm not the most savvy when it comes to that kind of stuff.

User Info Menu

I don't think it's difficult at all to put together basic tracks. There are some nuances that are a bit trickier to figure out how to do (such as 1st and 2nd endings, etc.) but generally I'd say the program is quite intuitive to use.

User Info Menu

I am inclined to agree with jasaco above. I have used BIAB for years and I consider myself a novice, but also find that my needs slowly evolve and I am then into the manual. Not having a band to practice with at home this is a very good aid.

User Info Menu

i use it every day...piano repetitions got on my nerves..so i bought the b4 Organ..right click the track and youll see your real tracks..dead simple to switch.....dont forget to turn off the Bass...Organ Bass pedals are heard..jam 24/7...what mores to be said...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    i use it every day...piano repetitions got on my nerves..so i bought the b4 Organ..right click the track and youll see your real tracks..dead simple to switch.....dont forget to turn off the Bass...Organ Bass pedals are heard..jam 24/7...what mores to be said...
    voxss,
    Unless you have something specifically against pianos, I suggest you go on their website and listen to the Mike LeDonne piano realtracks. I personally prefer piano to organ, and the Mike LeDonne realtrack set is about at good as it gets for me.

User Info Menu

Just downloaded the Pro upgrade to 2019 from 2012 version. No problems and only $69 if you just do the download. I've used BIAB since it was on a little floppy DOS disk. You can do simple things easily but have to dig into the manual or go on the forum for some tricky stuff. Never found anything that I can't do, though. I use it for arranging and making backing tracks for my oldies duo - much better than karaoke tracks which are usually too busy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    I don't think it's difficult at all to put together basic tracks. There are some nuances that are a bit trickier to figure out how to do (such as 1st and 2nd endings, etc.) but generally I'd say the program is quite intuitive to use.
    Agree on the basic functionalities in 4/4 time signature, i/e. entering chords and selecting a realtrack set, but as soon as one wants more .. it becomes harder, the preference and song parameter menus aren't that always clear, non 4/4 time signature realtracks aren't as good as the 4/4 ones, mixing time signatures is awful, the notation feature is painful to use, etc ..

Put another way, much better than irealpro in terms of sound quality in 4/4 time and using realtracks, and simple to use for the same purpose. Pretty useful for bassist too, since one can easily mute the bass part as well as isolate it to analyse bass lines ... Beyond that effort is required which may not necessarily be succesfull

User Info Menu

Sometimes i use the Ireal app on the phone, but most of the time if a want a backing track i just use a looper pedal. Just play a bass line or basic joe pass style and i have the track in seconds..

User Info Menu

appreciate the comment ALSO RAN....i just checked my real tracks .....Mike le DONNE is on organ..Miles Black on piano both top notch players...i was trying to get those early organ combo sounds ... pat martino joey franscesco...think i did make the wrong comment....maybe a midi track slipped in lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    appreciate the comment ALSO RAN....i just checked my real tracks .....Mike le DONNE is on organ..Miles Black on piano both top notch players...i was trying to get those early organ combo sounds ... pat martino joey franscesco...think i did make the wrong comment....maybe a midi track slipped in lol
    As a sidenote, I was trying to create a Sax solo ( I have the Sax solo on a couple of choruses while I practice my comping) on my original song and was fooled at first by the midi Sax. It sounded pretty good to my old damaged ears, almost like the realband.

Midi has improved from the early days, IMHO.

Good luck and enjoy your BIAB.

User Info Menu

Also worth playing around with pan, tone and reverb settings in BIAB, this can make a surprising difference to the sound of the backing track. E.g. I was trying for a sort of ‘Wes and Mel Rhyne’ organ backing, it didn’t nail it until I boosted the treble and put the reverb way up on the organ, then it sounded much more like those Riverside organ trio recordings. Adding more reverb to the drums can sound good too.
    thanks Graham will try that