The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How many of you use BIAB or similar software for practice?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use BIAB or a similar tool all the time

80 59.26%
  • I rarely use them but it is helpful

39 28.89%
  • Nah I play along with my old records man

16 11.85%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 141

User Info Menu

Mike, because Miles only plays a few tunes. right?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used an older version tons to jam along and learn real book tunes. There are/were files for volume 1 matching the book. It was a great help. I also used it for a William Leavitt book (melodic rhythmns I think) that someone shared the files for.

Now I use iRealBook on my phone. Thinking about getting a looper pedal too.

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I'll say it once more - and I'm not being insistent that this is the correct way to do it. But PRACTICING with play-a-longs alone doesn't REALLY force you to learn the chords as you improvise. You can ear it, which is OK. But when I improvise without play-a-long assistance it forces me to have to KNOW its a C7+11 going to Fm69 to A7+11 to DMaj9. I can't just guess and bullshit my way through. Those altered chords and extensions are reflected in the notes I'm playing in my solo, more often than not. At least I know where they are when they're happening.

Even if you can't do this right now it's a great exercise to play if very slowly, any tempo you feel comfortable and pick out those notes. It forces you to know your stuff!
    I agree, this is the best way to practice your lines. I would advocate the use of a metronome here though.

User Info Menu

Nothing has to be an either/or proposition. Last night I was feeling good, having finished my taxes on the 15th (miserable ordeal that it is) and listening and playing along with tunes off the Bill Evans Trio "Waltz for Debby" CD. Like a masterclass from the guy I consider the most brilliant star in the jazz firmament. Every measure is like poetry.

But I think the videos and music I've heard created with percussion and bass tracks are pretty adequate for practice demos and rehearsals, though I have no direct experience with certain plug-in drum software for percussion with DAWs, for example.

So, unless I'm misinformed, the BIAB Ultrapak Plus with good jazz Real Tracks and other styles would cost around $470 for first timers, right? I'm expecting a pretty good tax refund, but given the crappy AGI to begin with in this economy, I guarantee my wife would kill me! Gotta win the damn Lottery...

Jay

User Info Menu

Biab has had a sale in December every year in the past for as long as I've been following them.
    Last edited by fep; 10-20-2014 at 11:36 AM.

User Info Menu

I used to use BIAB often, but not so much anymore, and it doesn't work as well on a Mac.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that heads-up, FEP!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Thanks for that heads-up, FEP!
    You might want to research other music packs and see if a cheaper it will meet your needs.

I bought the 2012 Megapack and it is fine for my needs. I bought it in 2013, one year old and for only $140.00 at the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    I used to use BIAB often, but not so much anymore, and it doesn't work as well on a Mac.
    I'm a Mac guy so I guess I won't be getting it. I've thought about it. When I had my studio and the guys would come to rehearse and play it was a non issue of course. What doesn't it do well on a Mac?

User Info Menu

BIAB Works great on my MacBook Pro. It has far more features than I will ever need but is great for creating a sequence that you can practise in any key at any speed. Downloading all the jazz standards files then lets you play around with all the songs you'll ever need.

User Info Menu

I have tried several times over the years and always wound up frustrated. I have been using Macs for 30 years, don't know how the PC version works, but the interface is confusing enough that I usually just say screw it and find a backing track.

The upgrades are pretty spendy, if you stay in the plus range, you are looking at around $200 every 12 months or so, and it's never much easier. The interface is just counter intuitive - you have to hunt all over to find repeats, intros, etc. Not saying it isn't capable of some good sounds, but the mix of computer vs. real instrumentation libraries was confusing and inconsistent (this works with this track, but defaults to that style if its not the real instrument track, etc) .... don't recall the specifics, I just couldn't make it work easily. I'm sure if I sat down for several hours, I could (and have) create something very nice and useful, but it just SHOULD work more intuitively. I use lots of complicated software without difficulty that requires reading the manual at times. I think BIAB could be much improved. And, I'm sure some have it down cold and wonder if I'm brain dead, or something. Oh, well.

I use Amazing Slow Downer for 90% of my transcription, Transcribe! if I want to watch a video in slo-mo, iRealbook for a quick and dirty loop of changes and the occasional loop pedal for a short 4 or 8 bar phrase that I want to practice the changes for. And, I have several tracks from Bobby's Backing Tracks, which are all extremely high quality, well recorded versions of more popular tunes, for when I want to play along with something of record quality - he puts together some great players and does nice tweaks and arrangements of lots of tunes I already like to play. If you've not looked at those, check them out.

I agree with Henry, you will own a tune much more quickly if you practice it without accompaniment - I can cheat pretty well with a backing track, but hearing the changes in your head and implying them with your lines is like doing CrossFit on guitar. It gets you in shape pretty fast!
    Last edited by yebdox; 10-19-2014 at 06:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm really sold on BIAB - I find it to be a valuable tool for practice, recording, arranging and for printing charts. Somehow, PG Music has developed "Real Tracks", which are based on recordings of some great players like Ron Carter, Kenny Baron and Lewis Nash (soloists include Phil Woods and Pat Martino). These aren't samples, but actual recordings - how they are manipulated so that they can be played back over any set of changes, in any key/tempo is beyond me, but they sound good and swing like crazy. At the very least, for practice purposes, BIAB makes a really cool metronome...

I've been rehearsing lately with a singer - lots of tunes, some I'm not very familiar with, none of which are in the original keys. It's really nice to be able to transpose them with a key stroke, and then print out a lead sheet in the new key.

The "PG Allstars" may be the ideal back-up band; like the old stage joke about drum machines (yeah, I'm an old guy),
    they "never get paid, never get laid", don't disappear into the parking lot during breaks and are willing to put up with your soloing 'till the cows come home. Good clean fun...

Don

User Info Menu

I'm really sold on BIAB - I find it to be a valuable tool for practice, recording, arranging and for printing charts. Somehow, PG Music has developed "Real Tracks", which are based on recordings of some great players like Ron Carter, Kenny Baron and Lewis Nash (soloists include Phil Woods and Pat Martino). These aren't samples, but actual recordings - how they are manipulated so that they can be played back over any set of changes, in any key/tempo is beyond me, but they sound good and swing like crazy. At the very least, for practice purposes, BIAB makes a really cool metronome...

I've been rehearsing lately with a singer - lots of tunes, some I'm not very familiar with, none of which are in the original keys. It's really nice to be able to transpose them with a key stroke, and then print out a lead sheet in the new key.

The "PG Allstars" may be the ideal back-up band; like the old stage joke about drum machines (yeah, I'm an old guy),
    they "never get paid, never get laid", don't disappear into the parking lot during breaks and are willing to put up with your soloing 'till the cows come home. Good clean fun...
    Thanks, Don, that's encouraging. I hate to admit defeat, I may need to go back and try it again. I would like to have something LIKE BIAB that would do what it's supposed to do. Maybe I gave up too easily. But I'm no dummy and it just is a frustrating and counter-intuitive setup. In my opinion. Which doesn't change anything.... I will still have to sit down and confront it one day.

In the meantime, I have so much accumulation of learning tools, that I will probably do better to use what I have, as well as follow Henry's advice more often.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    This is not true. It works perfectly on a mac. Same exact features as on a PC.

User Info Menu

I consider BIAB to be my best investment ever in my own music education. I've used it regularly since it first came out and upgrade every few years.

User Info Menu

For you BIAB users - I presume that you can see any of the tracks as notation, correct? Because that is so valuable.

I use Sibelius to create my own transcriptions and arrangements of jazz standards and to compose. I find using notation software and I presume BIAB (I've never used it yet) to be invaluable to my situation.

User Info Menu

targuit,

I can't speak for Real Tracks, since I don't have those, but in the standard BIAB, yes, you can see every part as notation. I've even printed out the piano part once or twice for my wife to play on piano while I played guitar (she's a classically-trained pianist who doesn't really have jazz chops or ear yet, so this was very helpful).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nosoyninja
    This is not true. It works perfectly on a mac. Same exact features as on a PC.
    Correct - I've used it on Macs for several years with no problem whatsoever. It's an excellent programme and although it's not intuitive, it's not hard to learn the small number of commands it needs to use the most commonly used functions. If your main use for it is to make backing tracks for practice, you can easily learn how to do that in fifteen minutes.
    Last edited by reventlov; 10-25-2014 at 05:08 PM.

User Info Menu

There are somethings. I wish I had a play-a-long for Evidence, just 'cause I'd like to record it with me playing. I love playing that tune.
    It's here;

Index of /biab/jazz

User Info Menu

Whoa!! Thank you!! I'm on a gig right now. I'll check this out tomorrow! Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Well, yeah? What is this?

User Info Menu

I think you have to open these document with BIAB installed on your computer, then you can hear the backing track and I assume, adjusted it to your taste (e.g.) remove an instrument, change tempo, add an instrument etc...

I have not tried it yet, but will later today.

User Info Menu

Well, yeah? What is this?
    Ah, I see you don't use BIAB. I saw 'Evidence' in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I think you have to open these document with BIAB installed on your computer, then you can hear the backing track and I assume, adjusted it to your taste (e.g.) remove an instrument, change tempo, add an instrument etc...

I have not tried it yet, but will later today.
    Yes. There's a lot of songs in that link but you do need BIAB. They save as standard files if you want.

User Info Menu

I switched from a PC to a MacBook several years ago. I've had more problems locking up on the MacBook, but I have, apparently, been overruled. Perhaps everyone else has newer versions. But, as I said, I don't use it much anymore.
    Last edited by zigzag; 10-27-2014 at 07:51 AM.