The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

If I were to purchase the M-audio fast track two channel interface can I plug my condenser mic into my presonus preamp and the presonus into the interface? There seems to be complaints about very low volumes using a condenser mic with the m-audio.

Does anyone have experience using it with realband. I will be basically recording solo guitar and also importing band in a box files to record my practice sessions.

Also, if that works could I use my eq and effects rack in line going to the m-audio.
    Hope that makes sense.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've no experience with these interfaces but perhaps the folks complaining of low volumes didn't have phantom power on with their condenser mics? You shouldn't need a pre amp for this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keith
    I've no experience with these interfaces but perhaps the folks complaining of low volumes didn't have phantom power on with their condenser mics? You shouldn't need a pre amp for this.
    no ...you won't get any audio out of a
    condenser mic if you don't give it phantom power
    (unless its a battery powered type !)

you should be able to plug your mic straight
    into the m audio box (with phantom on !)
    and be fine

what's the max gain on the m audio box
    in dbs .... cant see it online anywhere

User Info Menu

The M-Audio Fast Tracks have changed over the years the ones I remember had a mic input with phantom power and a guitar input, don't see a line input. What is the output of the Presonus line or mic?

My experience the low end M-Audio gear is junk, poor sounding and low level output. The higher end M-Audio gear is okay.

User Info Menu

The Presonus has both line and mic outputs but I'll double check on the line outputs when I get home.. I use it with my home studio. I was thinking of selling everything and going to a computer based setup. Does not have to be complicated. I would still need an xlr input and 1/4 guitar input prior to the computer. The people complaining do have phantom power turned on when they use a condenser mic but still get low levels. I figure I can use real band as my studio. Seems fine for what I would be doing. I also have a podxt but I think I still would need an interface. I can plug it into a usb port. That is how I update it. So maybe I don't need an interface?
    Last edited by Patriots2006; 10-08-2014 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

It is my understanding that I do not need a separate internal sound card with an audio interface. The interface acts as the sound card. Is this accurate?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patriots2006
    It is my understanding that I do not need a separate internal sound card with an audio interface. The interface acts as the sound card. Is this accurate?
    yes you can record thusly
    guitar , normal lead , interface , usb lead , computer
    eg
    https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-...FU7MtAodqh4AVw

or
    Line 6

just two random examples i found
    i've no actual experience of those actual
    boxes

User Info Menu

that line6 gadget has fx built in too

User Info Menu

In general yes it will be your sound card for recording, whether it will also be able to handle system sounds and etc depends on its driver.

User Info Menu

I have two M-Audio devices that I use for all my recording needs: 1) An M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and 2) An M-Audio M-track Plus. Both units are great for good quality home recording and interface nicely with the Reaper software. The Fast track Ultra is hard to set up but works perfectly after a good setup. The M-track Plus needs very little set up (Similar to Plug and Play) and also works perfectly. The only problem I have had is with the M-Audio support people. The have changed ownership a couple of times and their support is, in my opinion, mostly very poor.

wiz

User Info Menu

buy RME if you can afford it. I started with M-audio fasttrack and a year later I went for a RME Fireface UC which proved to be a lot more quality in all respects (features, audio quality, hardware, software, documentation, support). One nice thing with RME is that all the many controls can be set from a user interface on the computer display (a bit like a recordin console) vs a couple of crap potentiometers on the Fastrack unit.

May be you can find one second hand since RME came up with expanded versions (more inputs, builtin effects, etc..)

User Info Menu

Another question if you don't mind. I am looking at a Tascam 2x2 unit. The pre-amps provide 57db gain. Is this sufficient for the condenser mic?
    Thanks again,
    Rich

User Info Menu

Another question if you don't mind. I am looking at a Tascam 2x2 unit. The pre-amps provide 57db gain. Is this sufficient for the condenser mic?
    Thanks again,
    Rich
    hi rich , my day job is Sound ,
    yes that is fine ....
    (65db would be lovely but that costs money)

If you're putting a condenser mic a couple
    of foot away from an amp or Acoustic guitar
    you have plenty of gain there

hopefully the noise floor (hiss) will be low enough on the mic amps too ....

ask someone who's got one on a forum
    or something
    I know RME are very good ....
    Focusrite good
    Roland Ok

what mic you using BTW ?

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Audio Technica AT4041s. Small condenser mics.

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Audio Technica AT4041s. Small condenser mics.
    ATs are good mics
    should be nice

User Info Menu

Is this the one you have?

M-audio fast track-161135-jpg

If not, post of picture of yours and I'll show you how to work it.

User Info Menu

When you first start learning how to record, the problem is usually not the equipment. Any interface on the market will record loud enough if it's setup correctly. The sound quality may vary, but not the loudness.

User Info Menu

I haven't purchased one yet. I have to start selling off my studio equipment first.