The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Problem-I would like to be able to record myself, song and guitar accompaniment.

I have BIAB as well as Reaper, have an external sound card. However the sound card, and I believe Reaper record only one track at a time. Is there some simple solution to this? Have I misunderstood something essential?I suppose I could experiment with the placement of the amp so the mic would pick up enough of the sound. Is there another way to go. Thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You should be able to record any number of simultaneous tracks into Reaper - your sound card has to have more than just one input. If you get an advanced audio interface, instead of just the standard computer soundcard, you can get more than one input. Most of the less expensive interfaces have two mic inputs which can be used simultaneously. A bonus is that you will get much higher quality mic preamps with an actual audio interface.

As an example here is a webpage from M-audio that has interfaces with multiple inputs, two, four, or even eight:

M-AUDIO - USB Audio and MIDI Interfaces

When you set up a multiple-input interface and add the driver to your computer, Reaper will automatically set up for the number of inputs on the interface, and you can use more than one, or all, the inputs at one time. You may also be able to use more than one interface at the same time, for multiples of however many inpuits are on one interface. Comes in handy if you want to track a whole drumset or a band live.
    Last edited by robertm2000; 09-03-2014 at 11:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Reaper is a multi track tool so issue could be routing the audio sources. I would be checking where BIAB is outputing, and were Reaper is looking for track input. I would work out recording BIAB directly into Reaper first. Then work on adding the mic. Guitar you're not saying if you're doing that direct or just letting mic catch it too. Like robertm2000 said getting an audio interface makes thing easier most have multiple mic/line inputs. The entry level M-Audio gear I would avoid weak and poor mic pre's, but their next level up is okay.

Getting used to using recording software takes a bit of time to learn so be patient.

User Info Menu

Thanks robertm2000. I am using a Line 6 POD HD as a sound card. It gives me the fx as well as acting as a sound card. I have always shied away from M-audio equipment as a good part of the purchase is Cubase, but there must be other sound card arrangements. Could I connect POD HD and a mic to some other equipment that would take both?

User Info Menu

Buy a little mixer GC has them for under $100 and you can input POD and mic's both then send mix output to the line-in of your computer sound card.

User Info Menu

Step 1: Record the BIAB track into Reaper (This may be the trickiest part)
    Step 2: Record guitar through the POD HD
    Step 3: Record vocal through a mic plugged into the sound card

I assume BIAB can export an audio file that Reaper can import. If not you may have to loop soundcard output to soundcard input and play the BIAB track while recording in Reaper in real time.

User Info Menu

Thank you all! I see I have not been specific. I want to record simultaneously the vocal and the guitar as a practice procedure ro tool. Maybe docbop´s suggestion is the best, getting a mixer and feeding both the guitar and the mic through to Reaper. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a mixer? (I live in Stockholm, Sweden so GC isn´t an option, but Thomann and others is) Could there be other alternative ways to do this? Again thank you for your input!

User Info Menu

Thank you all! I see I have not been specific. I want to record simultaneously the vocal and the guitar as a practice procedure ro tool. Maybe docbop´s suggestion is the best, getting a mixer and feeding both the guitar and the mic through to Reaper. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a mixer? (I live in Stockholm, Sweden so GC isn´t an option, but Thomann and others is) Could there be other alternative ways to do this? Again thank you for your input!

User Info Menu

KB. I have finally gotten the steps together (once) to do what you have described. Learning how to play is hard enough! It is both frustrating and inspiring to learn to get these systems to do what you want.

User Info Menu

A while ago I did some videos on using Reaper and BIAB. They're kind of sloppy. Think of it as just looking over my shoulder while I use the software. I thought they might be of interest to someone.

This first one was in response to some saying BIAB was too hard to use. Just a quick video of using BIAB at a real basic level:

This one is importing BIAB files to Reaper.

This one is me doing some mixing with Reaper, showing some of the features and workflow of Reaper (kind of long and rambling).

Last edited by fep; 09-03-2014 at 07:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Frank! I do recall you made these for Wiz a while ago. At the time they were over my head, but slowly I´m learning and these will be a big help. (I´m enjoying memories of tomorrow)

I would like to get back to my question as to what I need in order to record guitar and vocals at the same time into Reaper. I am acquainted with track on track technic, but I want to work on playing and singing and thus need to record both simultaneously. Do I need hardware, like a mixer, to record two seperate tracks at the same time?

I use a Scarlett 2i2 interface (hardware), but there are a lot of similar things out there. The one I have is pretty basic.

It's a lot simpler than the old way, once you're set up. (I remember, back in the day, having to get the recording soundcard, hooking up the mixer or preamps etc.) These kind of interfaces have decent preamps, you can monitor directly from them with no latency, and they kind of "are the soundcard" that you used to have to buy separately. It's also a simple USB connection. Now that the drivers are installed, I pull mine out of one computer and plug it into the next with no problems.

Once you set up your interface hardware for use in your Reaper software, you just set each input (mine has 2) to its own track. Mine works with 2 guitar cables, 2 XLRs or one of each. Record your vocals and guitar to separate tracks at the same time while "monitoring" your BIAB.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 09-04-2014 at 05:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Matt, that is exactly what I´m looking for, two track input!

User Info Menu

I have been using Reaper with BIAB since Frank (FEP) helped me with it. I can wholeheartedly recommend listening and following Franks' suggestions concerning the practical use of Reaper. Thanks again Frank, without your help, I would be way behind the learning curve for recording with Reaper.

thanks again,
    wiz

User Info Menu

wiz, I have thought particularly of you. I heard a recording of you and your wife of "You go to my Head". I thought it was good though the mix could have been worked on technically. With that as example, did you record both tracks simultaneous or was it one track at a time? It is the simultaneous recording I am trying to master, do you have any insight?

User Info Menu

Frank, I just had a serious listen to the Reaper mix and fx tape you did. That was a really fine presentation, extremely helpful.