The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 87 of 87

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by borges
    I use Lilypond for this, which is free. The main purpose of this programm is of course making scores but you can also create fret diagrams. It's really simple and very fast. The output can be customized if one likes to and have the time for trying things out.
    Thanks for the tip!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    One question: using Lilypond, can one select what is displayed on a given fret diagram, note color (ex: root, blue note), note text (root, interval from root, fingering, whatever), etc .. ?
    I am not an expert but I think that Lilypond is strictly black and white. I've never encountered coloured scores or fret diagrams in Lilypond. Note text is also limited. You can only have fingering values in the diagram's dots and fingering includes only number values. You can't print "b3" as value interval, only a "3".

User Info Menu

Curious by nature, I had a look at the Lilypond documentation on the Internet. Here is an interesting piece extracted from it.

In a nutshell, it says Lilypond is meant to write music using staves and the usual guitar extensions (fingering, harmonics, tablature, chord diagram above staff) but not really to create chord and scale dictionaries.

But anyway, it's useful to know there is a available tool and to know its limitations.

2.4.2 Guitar

Most of the notational issues associated with guitar music are covered sufficiently in the general fretted strings section, but there are a few more worth covering here. Occasionally users want to create songbook-type documents having only lyrics with chord indications above them. Since LilyPond is a music typesetter, it is not recommended for documents that have no music notation in them. A better alternative is a word processor, text editor, or, for experienced users, a typesetter like GuitarTeX.

Just had to report back that I sprung for 'Neck Diagrams.' What a killer program. After watching a youtube video I was sold. You simply click dots onto the fretboard, choose 1 note as the root and it instantly fills in all notes/intervals. This is a huge time saver over click 2 to 3 dots per string and adding text to each.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j-mo
    Just had to report back that I sprung for 'Neck Diagrams.' What a killer program.
    Glad you like it! I do too. Glad I bought it.

User Info Menu

Hhhmmm, I wanted to print some blank chord diagrams but the frets didn't print, just the strings. Anyone else have that happen????

Hi everybody,

maybe this is useful for you:

yesterday I released my fonts for writing chords and scales neck diagrams on www.manneschlaier.com.
    Create precise fretboard diagrams for chords, scales, arpeggios and blank diagrams solely in Apple Pages, Keynote and other eligible applications in Mac OS X as well as in iOS in no time. Quick and easy.
    Add self-provided neck diagrams for guitar, bass, banjo, ukulele and other fretted instruments to sheet music, write chord boxes and scale diagrams directly into pdf- documents, print pin sharp neck diagrams in any size, export them as images to the web, save them as pdf.
    Please find detailed information and videos on www.manneschlaier.com.

Manne

User Info Menu

Looks good, Manne. I'm tempted, but I already paid for Neck Diagrams, a similar application. But I like the look of yours.

User Info Menu

Manne,

Congratulations on your new release. It looks good in many ways.

My situation:
    For a project I'm working on I need complete flexibility re: the number of frets, number of strings,
    number of notes per string. The option to place a notation staff under each diagram would also be great.
    It appears that these are not possible from watching the videos.
    Anyway, my advance request list should you do an update.

Hi Rob,
    thank you for your comment. I appreciate your interest.
    Manne

Hi bako,

thanks for your interest and your comment.
    You can have any number of strings and within the range of the diagram (five frets) you can place multiple dots on each string including the zero fret. The chord and scale diagrams can be positioned everywhere on your page, in Apple Pages, on a pdf lead sheet or lyrics sheet or even in Finale to name a few. There are some videos on Www.manneschlaier.com illustrating these features. Or do you mean to place an empty notation staff under the diagrams?

Manne
    Last edited by Fonts for neck diagrams; 04-14-2015 at 04:34 AM. Reason: wrong pasting

User Info Menu

Hi, I like to know more about using special fonts in Neck Diagrams.

I tried to use the beautiful Chord Symbols font I once bought, and which works fine in MS-Office:

C^7
    C\ = Cm7-5
    NM<>
    Iop[]\

[Here should have been triangle symbols (for maj7), and the symbol for half-diminished chords and the like.]

Oops, I see now that it doesn't work here either.
    Like it doesn't work in ND.

Can anyone help me out?

It should make ND still better for a jazz guitarist!
    Thanx in advance!
    Lucas