The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 87

User Info Menu

Here's a link to the Forum page at Neck Diagrams where members upload their chart to share with the world. (Lot of minor pentatonic charts but there are other things. You have to be a member to open them, I think.)

Page Library

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hi folks,

Just came across this thread - very nice to see you interested about ND! Hope you don't mind me jumping in?!

To answer the question about interval names...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I wonder about the note names: why p5 and p4? I think 5 and 4 would be understood as perfect unless otherwise indicated. That's not a big deal----certainly no deal breaker---but I wonder why they did it that way.
    You can actually control this in the Preferences!

If you've not seen the Preferences yet, you'll find you can control defaults for pretty much everything you see in the Inspector, for example always create long horizontal fretboards? Set the default to 15 frets! Always want the fret numbers shown in a specific size/colour? Set it in the Preferences.. Want roots to always show in say green instead of red? You get the idea...

So, the interval names are controlled in the Interval Names section of the Preferences page, as shown in this post on our forum where someone was asking about changing the R to 1:

Custom Note Label

Also re the page sharing idea, this is something we want to add directly into the software! So just like you can create a new page off a template [and in case you've not found it yet, you can save your own pages as templates too], there'd also be a searchable page library which users could easily contribute to.

Feel free to ask any questions on our forums, or actually right here now that I'm subscribed Or email us for a more personal service!

Best regards,
    Justin

User Info Menu

Justin, thanks for the above and for creating Neck Diagrams. I've just had it for a week, but already my students are very pleased with their shiny new handouts And they help me look more professional

Its been a busy week, so I haven't had time to explore the programme fully, but will do soon.

Good to see you here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NeckDiagrams
    Hi folks,

Just came across this thread - very nice to see you interested about ND! Hope you don't mind me jumping in?!

Feel free to ask any questions on our forums, or actually right here now that I'm subscribed Or email us for a more personal service!

Best regards,
    Justin
    Thanks, Justin! We appreciate your input. All that you said sounds great to me.
    Also, it's great to see you here!

User Info Menu

Another question about this. (I think I know the answer but others may not.)

Aside from scales and arps, suppose one wanted to make a chart / diagram of the changes to a standard, such as "Autumn Leaves." Could you make a page that has all the voicings you would want to use for a basic chorus (-or perhaps an arpeggio study) on a single page, or two at the most?

(I was set to buy this when my car required urgent attention and all my extra loot. All is well on that front now and I'm primed to buy this this weekend.)

By the way, I'm thinking anyone who would teach should have the Pro version, which allows one to export charts as files (pdf, among others). Has anyone bought the Pro version and later thought the Basic one would have been good enough? I'm thinking the Pro version is what I need.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Justin, thanks for the above and for creating Neck Diagrams. I've just had it for a week, but already my students are very pleased with their shiny new handouts And they help me look more professional

Its been a busy week, so I haven't had time to explore the programme fully, but will do soon.

Good to see you here.
    If you have a color printer, I have found it helpful to always give the R, 3, 5, and 7 unique colors. It helps me form mental maps better.

The default in ND is to always make the root red, and all other notes black. You have to set other unique colors each time you make a chart. I put in a feature request to allow users to set fixed colors for each tone.

I'm very happy with the product.

User Info Menu

Aside from scales and arps, suppose one wanted to make a chart / diagram of the changes to a standard, such as "Autumn Leaves." Could you make a page that has all the voicings you would want to use for a basic chorus (-or perhaps an arpeggio study) on a single page, or two at the most?
    Like this?

Software for creating chord/scale blocks-autumnleavesiii-png

I have the pro version - I really need it for teaching. The price is fine, I think, considering the amount of work the team has done and continue to do on it. Of course, I have no connection with them.

User Info Menu

Like this?

I have the pro version - I really need it for teaching. The price is fine, I think, considering the amount of work the team has done and continue to do on it. Of course, I have no connection with them.
    Hey, Rob. Thanks. That looks great. I'm going to get it, and the Pro version too.

User Info Menu

Okay, I got it. Made some simple charts just to see how the software works. Pretty intuitive.

So, what kind of charts / diagrams are you guys churning out???

User Info Menu

Scales, arpeggios, chord shapes and movements for particular songs/tunes. By default I set for interval names, as in my examples above, and sometimes for the note names below the grid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    I don't use software, I use stamps! Software is nice for writing material on it's own page, but stamps are great for adding chord/scale blocks to pre-existing music.

Where can we find the stamps at? It would be nice to be able to make custom stamps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguitars09
    Where can we find the stamps at? It would be nice to be able to make custom stamps.
    Here's one from an ebay auction.

Guitar Chord Stamp Large 5 Fret New Free Shipping | eBay

(I'm not recommending ebay OR this stamp, but it is a nice picture of what a fretboard rubber stamp looks like.)

Note that you can also make tiny fretboards - but in this case you'll want to make set the Fretboard Labels to None so the dots are simply just dots with no annotations as you won't be able to read them!

If you do want to annotate legibly you could use the Legends function to put note names or intervals underneath (if a vertical fretboard) or to the side (if horizontal) - old blog post about this here: Fretboard Legends | Neckdiagrams.com

So you could squeeze dozens of fretboards onto a page if you were so inclined!

HTH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NeckDiagrams
    Note that you can also make tiny fretboards - but in this case you'll want to make set the Fretboard Labels to None so the dots are simply just dots with no annotations as you won't be able to read them!

If you do want to annotate legibly you could use the Legends function to put note names or intervals underneath (if a vertical fretboard) or to the side (if horizontal) - old blog post about this here: Fretboard Legends | Neckdiagrams.com

So you could squeeze dozens of fretboards onto a page if you were so inclined!

HTH
    Thanks! I appreciate that. Neck Diagrams is pretty intuitive but I'm sure there are nice little features---like this---that I haven't figured it out yet.

User Info Menu

Here is a simple diagram of what Fred Sokolow calls the F-D-A roadmap. It is simple and very useful. The shapes here are for major triads. I find this much more useful than the "CAGED" layout, which is based on open position chord shapes rather than on the way a triad recurs as one moves up the neck on the top three strings. THAT is very useful for playing melody, fills, and solos.

In each diagram, you see the same chord repeating up the neck. We start with an "F" chord (in the F shape). Next, a Bb chord (in the A shape). Finally, an Eb chord (in the D shape.)

For each chord, the shapes come in the same sequence. If you start with F, the next shape is D, and then A, before F occurs again. If you start with a an A shape, the next shape will be F. And so on.

Herb Ellis uses these same shapes for major triads (-though he refers to them by numbers, not letters.)

Attachment 14592

User Info Menu

Well, I just noticed an error in the second diagram. The "A" shape of the Bb chord should have a dot on the first fret of the high E string (F). I realize why I made this mistake: Herb Ellis uses this shape to play in Bb but he plays on the 'long' side of the "A" bar rather than the 'short' side, so his "A" shape of Bb has the Bb on high E string.

Nonetheless, I'm sorry for the mistake. I'll get this stuff right eventually....

User Info Menu

There's a book called something along the lines of The Shapes of Charlie Christian which mentions a Short A and a Long A. I find that Long A useful to have in mind. Of course, it lies between your/Fred's A and F shapes.

User Info Menu

There's a book called something along the lines of The Shapes of Charlie Christian which mentions a Short A and a Long A. I find that Long A useful to have in mind. Of course, it lies between your/Fred's A and F shapes.
    That may be where I picked up the term "long A." It's how I always think of it and Herb Ellis never calls it that. (To him, that is Shape 1, while the "F" form is shape 2, and the "D" form is shape 3.)

What's really handy about this layout is that it makes many classic blues / rock / folk / country licks easy to play. It's the easiest way to keep your place while moving up and down the neck. And of course, Herb Ellis relates his lines to these shapes, which means the world to me....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    I use Neck Diagrams too. Very nice diagram can be created for scales and arpeggios for a given piece, if one pays attention to use all the available features of the tool (fretboard colors, note marking with intervals, mark shapes, etc ..).

The underlying implementation makes it a bit slow and heavy to use if a page contains many diagrams. A version 2 coming soon is said to fix most of the current constraints.

Thanks for the PDF

User Info Menu

Mark - not perfectly on topic here - how do you attach a pdf to a post here?

User Info Menu

When replying, click on "Go Advanced", and a much larger ribbon of icons appears. There is one to manage attachments, the third icon from the right, in the upper line of displayed icons. There is also an explicit "manage attachments" button which appears a bit after the "submit reply" button.

When clicking on them, a window appears to upload files and select which files you want to upload and attach to a message. This is how I attached a pdf file. I didn't pay attention to what other kinds of files can be attached (size limitation, file type, etc ...).

An advantage of attaching a pdf file vs including an image is that the discussion is loaded much quicker on a slow connection.

By the way, one can create pdf from Neck Diagrams without using the pro version. Just print the diagram to a pdf printer like the bullzip free pdf printer (which is excellent).

User Info Menu

Funny you should ask---I was actually trying to attach a picture!

When in ND, there is an option to "export diagram" option on the menu board. One of the options is PDF (another is JPEG.) The first time I tried to export, I chose the default option, which is PNG. Well, when I wanted to post that here, I couldn't find where the document had been saved to. So I went with PDF and posted that, which appeared here as a link to the pdf.

So that's how I did it: by screwing up! ;o)

User Info Menu

I understand now. Thanks, mhch

User Info Menu

I use Lilypond for this, which is free. The main purpose of this programm is of course making scores but you can also create fret diagrams. It's really simple and very fast. The output can be customized if one likes to and have the time for trying things out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by borges
    I use Lilypond for this, which is free. The main purpose of this programm is of course making scores but you can also create fret diagrams. It's really simple and very fast. The output can be customized if one likes to and have the time for trying things out.
    Thanks for pointing this out and the example files.

One question: using Lilypond, can one select what is displayed on a given fret diagram, note color (ex: root, blue note), note text (root, interval from root, fingering, whatever), etc .. ? I found such a feature very useful to create harmony and jazz teaching material, e.g. beyond just creating a score and the chords to strum for a song.