The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

Hey there!

Anyone who uses the payed for versions of Band in a Box ?

I´ve been trying out the demo version for a while now and have som thoughts about it:
    besides the graphics is kind of kids like and it´s some buggy, I really miss a prompt where you could type in the chords instead of this mouse clicking menu.
    It does´nt cover every chord either(major 11 for instance).
    The styles are very much the same grooves and limited as well.

So is there a big difference with the "real" versions?
    If anyone has the energi to reply I´d be most thankful, or if you have suggestions on other similar applications.

have a nice jazz night!

chev

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I downloaded the demo version a few days ago. I started it up, took one look at the UI and shut it down again.
    I like the idea of easy auto accompaniment but there's no way I could live with (or pay for) an app that is so badly laid out! :-)

I tried Chordmachine but that would only run fullscreen.

So I think I'll just live with the midi editor and cut/copy/transpose in Cubase (which I can highly recommend - though it'd be overkill for just doing midi backing tracks - Cubase Sequel or Cockos Reaper perhaps?)

User Info Menu

Not sure on the demo version, but the paid for one, the chords are typed directly on to the screen in any measure. It has recognized every chord I have ever put in. Personally I think it a very versatile and worthwhile program. It has hundreds and hundreds of styles depending on which ones you buy with it.

User Info Menu

Chev,
    I suggest you look at the following site. Victor uses Band in the Box on almost all his of his songs. The songs with Jamey Ambersol recordings should be recognizable too. Band in The Box is a very usefull tool. I personally use this program to play out as a soloist. I just plug my laptop into my PA or KB 100. depending on the size of the Gig. And get paid just like any one else. When my son (who plays Bass) is with I just turn off the Bass in Band in The Box.

YouTube - Kanaal van Jazzguts

User Info Menu

I use it all the time (the paid for version), and am happy with it.
    I have never met with a situation where it hasn't performed even beyond my expectations.
    And I don't even consider the 'looks' of it, it works, it does what I need, so I'm satisfied with it.
    Peace
    Skei (the biab one)

User Info Menu

Hi and thanks everyone for the action.
    Seems like those who have the paid versions are satisfied, so it might just be the demo that´s crappy.
    I need an easy application for composing material and practising(backing tracks) with a wide range of grooves within the styles(mostly jazz), - any tip on which version would be most suitable?

darren - have a link for Cockos Reaper ?

jazz my day...

User Info Menu

Sure - it's here REAPER | About
    It's probably what I'd be using if I didn't already have Cubase.

User Info Menu

I love band in a box. It's a great practicing and teaching tool. It's not a replacement for live playing, but it sure beats a metronome. The old versions were kind of campy, but the new ones come with pretty much all real instrument sounds, no midi.

Definitely worth the 90$ or so that it costs.

MW

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot Darren!

I´ve just downloaded the demo and will check it out.

User Info Menu

Hi there again,
    I guess BIAB would do the works,tried Reaper and it´s probably a useful tool,not for me though as I already have a similar app.
    Thanks again guys for the support and if you have more suggestions my ears are wide open.

User Info Menu

My Wife & I use BIAB (bass only) every time we do a Duo gig (The Senior Moments). Also, When our bass player doesnt show up, We very often use BIAB (just bass & drums) for "Colleen Brown & The Starlighters" to make our music more danceable. We have a shortage of Bass & drum musicians in our area and Biab is used by a lot of pro's (mostly Country/Rock). It really helps when payday rolls around.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 03-04-2009 at 12:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m78w
    I love band in a box. It's a great practicing and teaching tool. It's not a replacement for live playing, but it sure beats a metronome. The old versions were kind of campy, but the new ones come with pretty much all real instrument sounds, no midi.

Definitely worth the 90$ or so that it costs.

MW
    you must be a windows guy! I´m a Mac user and the Mac-Version is definitely NOT worth the price. It is a 4 years old SW with the most ugly interface i´ve seen on the Mac (totally Mac-unlike) which has no new features like "Real Drums", "Real xxx" etc.! The interface - even the newest version on PC - is totally overloaded, filenames are 8.3 like DOS, etcetc., it is really unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by skei
    I use it all the time (the paid for version), and am happy with it.
    I have never met with a situation where it hasn't performed even beyond my expectations.
    And I don't even consider the 'looks' of it, it works, it does what I need, so I'm satisfied with it.
    Peace
    Skei (the biab one)
    I know you are also a Mac guy, but I don´t agree, that BIAB is working well: The sound is a real Problem for me! The reason is, that it uses the default Quicktime Midi Interface. A solution would be to export the MIDI and import it in GarageBand for example, but my Mac Demo Version does not support MIDI export and so I could not test that. And of course, with this workaround you will loose the "change a cord and replay instantly"-functionality...

So i deleted my BIAB-version...

...and downloaded the Impro-Visor(but had not enough time yet for deeper testing) : http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boo

I know you are also a Mac guy, but I don´t agree, that BIAB is working well: The sound is a real Problem for me! The reason is, that it uses the default Quicktime Midi Interface. A solution would be to export the MIDI and import it in GarageBand for example, but my Mac Demo Version does not support MIDI export and so I could not test that. And of course, with this workaround you will loose the "change a cord and replay instantly"-functionality...

So i deleted my BIAB-version...

...and downloaded the Impro-Visor(but had not enough time yet for deeper testing) : http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/
    Boo;
    I tried impro-visor too, but it's too limited for me. Also, the full version of biab works fine, with export as midi, as you mentioned, and then it's just assign any sound in garageband, and there are loads of them about. The change a chord and try again thing you discuss is one thing, but I decide my chords in biab and then export, so it's really no prob at this point. But if you write your tunes on the app, and change things around, I can see it might be a chore.
    Well, it works for my purposes though, to make a band that backs me up, and that's all i need, and if ever I decide on a more expensive DAW it'll be ok enough for me.
    Peace
    Skei (the learner one)

User Info Menu

Boo;
    I tried impro-visor too, but it's too limited for me.
    Hopefully not (for me)!

Also, the full version of biab works fine, with export as midi, as you mentioned, and then it's just assign any sound in garageband, and there are loads of them about.
    If you are going that way, why not doing the full step: Making your backing track completely in GarageBand?

I did that already, first I made a simple drum loop (or imported a MIDI), then I constructed a simple bass walking line (MIDI bass guitar) and as an optional third step I recorded (real audio track) me comping with my guitar. OK, that is much more work than simply importing from BIAB, but sounds much better and (important) you are learning much more about music!

The change a chord and try again thing you discuss is one thing, but I decide my chords in biab and then export, so it's really no prob at this point. But if you write your tunes on the app, and change things around, I can see it might be a chore.
    What I´m dreaming of is a very lightweight BIAB-like App running on a iPhone (or iPod touch). I think that is possible because most of the functions in BIAB I never used and sound quality in this environment is not the most important point, because the generated MIDI can be later imported into a DAW.

Sure, one can do that all on a big computer also, but I´m sitting most of my time in front of a screen (programming) and when playing guitar the computer should be off (for me).

User Info Menu

I downloaded Impro-Visor last night and I think it's just what I've been looking for: easy chord entry, a few thousand jazz standards built in, a nice load of transposable jazz improv phrases and it's free.

Kind of what I imagine BIAB could be if it were given a massive UI overhaul.

The only gripe I have so far is that it sometimes seems slightly out of time - not sure if that's a built-in humanize going on or my CPU struggling to keep up :-)

I tried using a MIDI loopback to route it to SampleTank for better quality sounds - it worked, but to be honest for practising it's not really worth the effort.

User Info Menu

BIAB is a practice not a comping tool. I am fairly sure it even says so itself. For jazz musicians improvising is essential and BIAB allows you to input any chord progression and play over it untill you are done. It even has ear training and standards on it.
    Very complete practice tool for any level of musician.

User Info Menu

I use BIAB on my Mac without any problems. I love it for when I just want to play over chords, or practice something. Certainly is worth the $$

User Info Menu

I don't know about the DEMO but the MEGA-PAK is what I upgrade to every year and there aren't enough great things to say about it. The new REAL tracks are fantastic with more styles being added at a very fast level for the newness. It beats looping programs and I can enter chords for a piece quickly and change keys or styles easily. I'm using Windows XP. I have a Roland JV-1010 Synth Module for midi sounds although with the new features with BIAB I hardly use anything else.
    Let's say I want to work on "All The Things You Are", I input the chords and start experimenting with various styles. I can mix and match and the end results are pretty amazing for so little effort.
    The REAL BAND is an update for POWER TRACKS and I'm into Adobe Audition so I mess with it for awhile but when there is work to be done it is back to Adobe Audition. The audio multi-tracks are exported WAV files for each independent instrument from BIAB that I mix with various EQ, FX, etc. It is much easier than trying to schedule live musicians for sessions that are of such a fine skill level as BIAB offers and much cheaper in the long run. Yes, live musicians are better if they are truely fine players, but for me BIAB works. My iPod, Picoverb, Boss ME and a Shure Beta 58 and sound system and I'm ready anytime. The iPod stores more than enough tracks and you can save versions in all the keys as well. Edits I do on my PC before performing with the live audiences.

Gary Hart - FIVE FORMS Guitar Method
    Last edited by Gary Hart; 03-05-2009 at 09:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I have band in a box and don't use it nearly enough, I really need to sit down and learn how to use it (without just selecting 'jukebox' and playing over it). Never even thought to use it as backing for a live set. Although considering I'm still primarily a rhythm guitarist and have a singer, it may not be wholly appropriate for that.

I think I'm in love with this website, keeps me very much jazz-minded in my long hours at work!!

User Info Menu

BIAB does not have to be complicated, Strum your Guitar have a singer ? Just add chords,pick out a style, let BIAB play Bass and Drums for you. You'll get a fuller sound. You can mute all the rest of the instruments.

Enjoy

Pickguard.

User Info Menu

Hi - how do you download Impro-Visor ?
    Tried the site but it redirects to some registering page at Yahoo.
    Do I have to register at Yahoo first - or
    Jazzaz all o u
    chev

Stringbean Guest
    I tried the demo on my mac today....amazing, I really need to buy it.

User Info Menu

BIAB is not a tool for making good music.

It is a quick and dirty way of making amazingly satisfying backing tracks. I can put a tune in in just a few seconds. Once it is in, with a couple of key presses, I can try hundreds of different styles and rhythmic variations. I can transpose from key to key with a single key press.

I don't have to waste a lot of time preparing to play. It allows me to optimize my practice time and, at the same time, it generates surprisingly good accompanyment.

I have the paid version and it include all kinds of poorly documented and unneccessarily complex bonus utilities. I ignore these.

I love BIAB. It does exactly what I want in the most economic, timely way possible.

Bill

User Info Menu

@Chev

Yes you have to register with the Yahoo group to get to the file download area (bit odd but it's not all bad because the group has a lot of helpful posts).
    The installation of Impro-Visor is not as easy as it should be (no installer and you have to get Java yourself if it's not already installed) but I've been using it for a few weeks now and I think it's excellent - the UI made far more sense to me than BIAB.

User Info Menu

Hi Darren and thanks a lot for your help there!
    I will download and install Impro. Some apps don´t work on my system(win server),hope this one will though...
    I don´t like the interface of BIAB, even if it has real band and so,
    ( looks like something my grandkid could have for free at school)...