The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

Try saving it as a midi file or mp3, then export it to a sequencing program or iTunes and burn the disk. I could never get BIAB to burn the disk either. I use Power Tracks and it works great and is not expensive. I like to use the sequencing program so I can "tweak" it as necessary before burning the cd. I sued to make backing tracks for my solo gig and burn them to cd. Now I just load them on my iPod. I am using the Alesis mixer with the built in iPod dock and large button controllers for the iPod. I plug my guitar into a mixer channel and run the output to a keyboard amp. It is a fantastic setup for solo gigging.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

After dinking with the demo version for a couple of weeks, I'm thinking I want to buy in. Problem is at what level? I was disturbed you could spend from 129 to somewhere near $500.

I have no idea where to plunk my money. My intentions are to enter chords for songs I'm working on for a fuller practice experience. I'm mostly working on songs from the Great American Songbook, but I've been known to sidle over to classical rock.

Also, I'm a rank amateur with no pretensions for a professional career.

What level have you bought into, and what practical goodies did you get for your investment?

Thanks in advance,

Kit

User Info Menu

I bought the basic 2009 version for $88.00 at Elderly Instruments (www.elderly.com). In a coupla nights, i've gotten the basics altho it still does squirrelly stuff. but, IMO, it's well worth the money.

User Info Menu

I think I got the cheapest version available and it seems pretty deluxe to me. Keep an eye out for specials, I believe they threw in a few extra style sets and some other software. One of the other software was SlowDowner, which is pretty cool for slowing down fast licks when trying to transcribe.

I say go as cheap as you can.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the good advice.

User Info Menu

I hope you're aware of the fact that you can slow down music with quicktime player too, by way of 'Show AV Controls' under 'view' or something. That's also one way to go for transcribing. I love Biab, and all, have it, but Quicktime is free, and rather versatile for the cost, just an idea.
    Peace
    Skei (the user of Biab bigtime one)

User Info Menu

#= alt 3 on my mac. for some reason BIAB refuses to accept that as anything let alone a sharp. how can I input sharps into it?

I'm running it on an old mac g4 os 9 (classic), because i use Logic Platinum on that machine... any tips gratefully received, thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skei
    I hope you're aware of the fact that you can slow down music with quicktime player too, by way of 'Show AV Controls' under 'view' or something. That's also one way to go for transcribing. I love Biab, and all, have it, but Quicktime is free, and rather versatile for the cost, just an idea.
    Peace
    Skei (the user of Biab bigtime one)
    Sure, Quicktime is free and the sound is not so bad, but Transcribe! (that´s what i use) sounds much better and it does not cost much.

---

BTWt: Today i discovered that there is a new version of BIAB called BIAB 2009 for Mac. The User interface isn´t much better (sigh) but the Realtrack demos sound great.

Now my question is: What happens with the sound of Realtrack when i´m choosing another tempo?

User Info Menu

Sure, the cheaper versions of BiaB give a heap of functionality. However, with the new 2009 version the sound quality is improved. I went for the cheap update and immediately after downloading changed my order to the large version with all RealTracks. The sound quality makes a world of difference: while the standard version delivers a toy organ sound, the RealTrack works with life recorded musicians. I think its well worth the extra money. But hey, that's what I think...

BTW: great tip on slowing down in QT, Thanks!
    Last edited by JorisFun; 05-31-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Jazzarian Guest
    [
    quote=Chev;26712]Hey there!

Anyone who uses the payed for versions of Band in a Box ?

I´ve been trying out the demo version for a while now and have som thoughts about it:
    besides the graphics is kind of kids like and it´s some buggy, I really miss a prompt where you could type in the chords instead of this mouse clicking menu.
    It does´nt cover every chord either(major 11 for instance).
    The styles are very much the same grooves and limited as well.

So is there a big difference with the "real" versions?
    If anyone has the energi to reply I´d be most thankful, or if you have suggestions on other similar applications.

have a nice jazz night!

chev[/quote]

Well here's a few short clips of me and BIAB. I think it's well worth it. Sure piano comping gets redundant, many styles being very similar etc.

I like to toggle between similar styles, like 2 different Brazilian styles. Great way to add intensity to a 24 bar chorus.

PS: You'll need a good software synth. I recently picked up Native Instruments Bandstand for $99. Big Fish Audio has one for the same price. The better the synth, the more realistic the instruments.
    Last edited by Jazzarian; 06-03-2009 at 03:32 PM.