The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
    I wonder what about this topic inspired the placing of that add.
    Hi - yeah, maybe the advertiser has a auto respond to words starting with a V ?
    Or just hit the wrong forum... weird anyway.
    chev

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the Mac version of BITB and also Garage band on my MacBook. Can someone explain how I export backing tracks from BITB to Garage Band so I can burn a CD for practice as well as performance? I'd also like to learn how to add a real guitar/sax/flute to the final mix of some Jazz standards. Do I add those instruments in Garage band or BITB? Trying to locate some tutorial on these subjects. I'm wanting to do it this way because I don't think you can easily add chords to GB like you can with BITB.

Thanks,
    Michael

User Info Menu

It's easy, you make the tune in biab, then 'export as midi' to your desktop or whatever. Then create a new project in Garageband, just give it the right name, don't bother with bpm and key and such, the midi takes care of that. Once you have it in Garageband, you can decide which kind of bass, drums, piano etc you want for each track. Just select the track (click once to the left, so it gets selected, then into the 'info' (down at the right hand corner) select 'software instrument' - if it isn't already chosen, which it probably is, there you have all the instruments etc. At the bottom of that menu there is 'details' click that and do anything you want, like adding reverb, chorus, compressor etc. When done with all the tracks, go back to the 'Info'menu (down right corner) once there, chose 'Mastertrack', do your overall mix, lots of things to chose from, don't limit yourself to the 'jazz' genre, there are huge amounts of readymade remixes, in all genres, just listen and select. Save. Go to 'Share' click 'send to iTunes'. When you have it there you can just burn your cd. You can create mp3 version if you want to. The possibilities are endless. If you want to work more on it, you can install 'Audacity' for example, and use the plugins to get your tune very pro sounding. Oh, and you might wanna try 'Reaper' another freeware app with lots of possibilities. But for the initial thing, do midi export, import into garage band(just drag the midi file to GB window) the export to iTunes.

Good luck!
    Skei (the user of apps one)

User Info Menu

Hey Skei thanks for all of the suggestions. This helps greatly.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

BIAB is fine tool for training solos in different key, different tempos and quick way to test alternative chords .I have older version. I loaded demo but i didnt like that messy gui.

User Info Menu

I been using Finale Print music for nearly ten years now and its the full version not a dempo version. You are better of with the full version cause you get everything you want to do in it. Demo version i wouldnt even worry about downloading it and using it cause it doesnt have akll the functions that i need.

User Info Menu

I did the same..downloaded the demo of BIAB and found the UI a nightmare. It also has so many tabs to click on that I couldn't get my head around it. Esp. since hovering the cursor over a tab didn't bring up any text.

All this stuff sounds so complicated I'm gonna take the easy route....I've bought a double bass, a snare and hi-hat and I'm on the transplant waiting list for four more arms(g)

User Info Menu

Downloaded "Impro-Visor" and for a freebie it is excellent.

The UI is very good and easy to use.

There are loads of midi tracks in the "fake book" and inputting chords to play over couldn't be easier.

It took a few hours to wade through the tutorial but it all made sense and the ability to write melodies over chords and take suggested melody lines from the software is great.

I'm very impressed.

Thanks for the link

User Info Menu

When is biab going to move into the 21st century and become rewire enabled? Perhaps then I would upgrade my 2002 version.
    It's just so 'last century'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HNabRWdMR
    Are you talking to me?????

User Info Menu

I have the full version. I'm having trouble recording my guitar on it.. it sounds like digital trash.. any tips? And when I try to save as an mp3 file, then import it into Audacity, the rhythm tracks are out of sync with themselves.. weird.. Any suggestion for either problem?

User Info Menu

I first began using BIAB back at version 3.0 and upgraded over the years. The last upgrade I got was just before they started using RealDrums. I began playing a solo gig (eventuall a duo) and using BIAB for backing tracks. Originally I used a Roland SoundCanvas/SoundBrush set-up for live midi which gave me a lot of flexibility on the gig. Eventually I went to burning my own cd backing tracks and moved away from live midi (too much equipment to haul as I got older). Now I use an iPod - very cool. It is a great tool for gigging, practicing or teaching. In recent years I have moved away from BIAB only because Hal Leonard came out with a series of Playalong cd's with excellent backing tracks of live musicians. Since I mostly play light jazz these were excellent and just right for me. Better than the Aebersold tracks and more suited for gigging. Had this not come about I would still be using BIAB and I still do use some of my original BIAB track for the tunes I could not get through Hal Leonard.

Ain't technology grand!!!!!

User Info Menu

Anyone know when BIAB Mac version will have real drums?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boo
    I know you are also a Mac guy, but I don´t agree, that BIAB is working well: The sound is a real Problem for me! The reason is, that it uses the default Quicktime Midi Interface. A solution would be to export the MIDI and import it in GarageBand for example, but my Mac Demo Version does not support MIDI export and so I could not test that. And of course, with this workaround you will loose the "change a cord and replay instantly"-functionality...

So i deleted my BIAB-version...

...and downloaded the Impro-Visor(but had not enough time yet for deeper testing) : http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/
    I'm working with the demo version of BIAB on an iMac G5. For 'instrument' sounds playback
    I use 'Bandstand' from native instruments. Not a 'free-be' software, cost is about 100 USDs,
    but I have a lot of project uses for the app. A nice substitute for Quicktime 'instruments.'

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Products : Sampling Line : Bandstand

Demo Movie
    Bandstand Tutorial Video

Bandstand can work 'stand-a-lone' with BIAB, just set the midi out channels
    in BIAB to the IAC buses. Bandstand will receive midi input data on an IAC bus.
    You can simply 'disable' midi 'program changes' in Bandstand, assign
    whatever instruments you like to any midi channel and ignore the program
    change commands from BIAB. It also has a handy built-in mixer for setting
    instrument levels.

Bandstand is flexible too from within a DAW sequencer as a vst plugin, Audio Units plugin,
    RTAS plugin (for the 'Pro Tools' users, my preferred DAW app), ASIO, DXi, and DirectSound.

I also load midi files into my 'Finale' notation software for editing and score
    printing; bass parts etc. Finale has some ok sounding instruments.
    Better than Quicktime.

-Kb
    -
    Last edited by kbgtr001; 04-10-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fix type 'o' and include additional Bandstand plugin info

User Info Menu

What are your favorite swing styles in BIAB (I have v9.0)? Dirk's bass player starts walking in the first chorus on his You Tube "There'll Never be..."; mine seems pretty boring at first.
    Last edited by mengstrom; 04-09-2009 at 07:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm new to BIAB and Garage Band, so forgive me a foolish question. Why do you guys use both? My newbie impression is that they do pretty much the same thing.

I'm interested in a program that will assist my practice, especially developing more swing. Which would serve me better?

Thanks,

Kit

User Info Menu

"I'm new to BIAB and Garage Band, so forgive me a foolish question. Why do you guys use both? My newbie impression is that they do pretty much the same thing.

I'm interested in a program that will assist my practice, especially developing more swing. Which would serve me better?"

They don't actually do the same thing, although there are overlaps. In a nutshell, BIAB generates backing tracks, and Garageband is sound recording software. Each has various other things they can do, but that's the main use of each.

I make backing tracks with BIAB and export them as midi files; put the midi files into Garageband and from there the sound of each instrument can be doctored in various ways to improve the sound. Once that's been done, I then record my guitar (again, the sound of the guitar can be doctored) and mix a final version.

BIAB will probably suit your purpose better - if you want backing tracks and aren't too fussy about recording yourself, it will do exactly what you want.

User Info Menu

Ok - I got a copy of the 2008 with mega pack from friend to try now. Seems to work better than the demo and has some real drums as well.
    It´s gonna take me a while to figure things out before I can say if it´s for me or not.
    For solo practise on standard tunes I think the "Master Jazz Guitar Solos" has a straight on UI and works cool.
    Jazz Bunny Rules Easter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kbgtr001
    I'm working with the demo version of BIAB on an iMac G5. For 'instrument' sounds playback
    I use 'Bandstand' from native instruments. Not a 'free-be' software, cost is about 100 USDs,
    but I have a lot of project uses for the app. A nice substitute for Quicktime 'instruments.' .......
    -
    Thanks for the info, sounds interesting! I will test it when the new BIAB for Mac is available.

Peter Gannon of BIAB says: "We're working hard on BB Mac 09, and expect to ship in Q2.". Ok, they are saying that for more than a year, but perhaps it is true this time. I hope so...

User Info Menu

I'm new to this site and to jazz guitar. I just bought biib 2009 and caught on to the software pretty quickly. I want to use my arrangements as accompaniment for playing out but had no luck burning them to a CD. any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Hi David - welcome to the site.

Here's how you solve your problem -

1 Export your track from BIAB as a midi file

2 Use file conversion software to convert the midi file into an mp3 file - there are various programmes available to do this, just google 'midi file to mp3 conversion' and you should find several to choose from. If your computer is a Mac, you can actually do this in iTunes - I don't know if the Windows version of iTunes has that facility or not, but in any case there are lots of cheap programmes for Windows that will do the job.

3 Burn your mp3 on to a CD and that's the job done.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

OK. i'm pretty computer savvy but haven't dealt with midi stuff before. i'll have to do some homework. thanks for your help.

User Info Menu

David,

There's an icon that looks like a floppy disc with a microphone over it. It says .wav under the icon. In my band in the box it is the 6th icon from the left. Click that and band in the box will render the midi to a wav or mp3 file. In the render to audio file window it actually has a 'Burn to Audio CD' button so it looks like you can go directly to cd (I haven't tried that yet). Let me know if this works for you.
    Last edited by fep; 04-29-2009 at 12:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David Norman
    I'm new to this site and to jazz guitar. I just bought biib 2009 and caught on to the software pretty quickly. I want to use my arrangements as accompaniment for playing out but had no luck burning them to a CD. any suggestions?
    Download this Audio Recorder (it records from your computers sound card), play your BIAB arrangement and record it to a Folder for you songs. Anything coming through your soundcard cand be recorded to MP3. Then burn a disc of your song folder. GOOD LUCK!