Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hi,

New Impro-Visor 6.0 is released since June 16th.
    I have not tried it yet.
    Free downloading: Welcome to Impro-Visor
    Last edited by balthazar; 08-13-2017 at 05:02 AM.
    « Ce qui m'intéresse surtout dans le jazz, c'est que c'est un bon mot pour le Scrabble. » Philippe Geluck

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have you worked with a previous edition?
    I've heard of this but not worked with it. What is your experience with it like?
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

I had the previous 5.16 version and use it only for backing tracks.
    Unfortunately, I did not have the time until now to explore the other possibilities of this software.
    « Ce qui m'intéresse surtout dans le jazz, c'est que c'est un bon mot pour le Scrabble. » Philippe Geluck

Thank you man! I'm using xubuntu exclusively and I installed it a few hours ago. It took me some time to make my first project, but as far as I can tell, it's a great tool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hans halmackenreuter View Post
    Thank you man! I'm using xubuntu exclusively and I installed it a few hours ago. It took me some time to make my first project, but as far as I can tell, it's a great tool.
    Mind telling us what you did?
    I looked at the main page (from the link in the OP) and saw some samples. I downloaded the software and wanted to play some of those samples in it. But I couldn't figure out how. (My tech skills are worse than my singing, which ain't pretty.)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Interesting program, thanks for the link! Currently using Ubuntu 14.04, this could have possibilities.
    Find your voice, and tell a story!

Circle 'Round the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Mind telling us what you did?
    I looked at the main page (from the link in the OP) and saw some samples. I downloaded the software and wanted to play some of those samples in it. But I couldn't figure out how. (My tech skills are worse than my singing, which ain't pretty.)

I haven't tried to use the samples, but I will try it and tell if I got it to work.

I made a leadsheat myself, but there are still some things I haven't figured out yet. I did the changes of "on the ginza" by wayne shorter.

first thing I did, was to set the global parameters for this tune. right on the top is a symbol/ button with a pencil on. You have to click on it and a new window will appear.

on this window you have some choices on the left to configurate certain aspects, like leadshead, melody, etc. If you choose leadsheat than you can tell the program, which key this tune should be. for eb major write: "-3" in the gab and "+3" for a major. you name the tune on composer and how many bars your chorus will have. after that you can close the window by saving it via the "save preferences or save-button"

so far I did just the changes for "on the ginza", so that is way I can't tell you how to write the melody yet. for filling in the chords you have to mark all of your bars, like you would in a text-programm like word for example, except that the location you marked isn't blue. If you don't know how to do so, than just look at the first bar! there should be a frame arround the first 1/8. now you have to search with your mouse the spot on the frame, where it turns from the standart arrow to the arrow which shows right against a wall. somthing like this ->|

than you can mark every bar.

after that you can type in the chords in the textenterfield. if the progression is a II V I I in cmajor, than you type this: "Dm7 | G7 | CM7 | CM7|

another example if, there are more chords in one bar is: "Bb7 A7 Ab7 G7| Gb7 / Cm7 F7|" note that the slash / after Gb7 means, that there should be a Gb7 on the 2 again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hans halmackenreuter View Post
    another example if, there are more chords in one bar is: "Bb7 A7 Ab7 G7| Gb7 / Cm7 F7|" note that the slash / after Gb7 means, that there should be a Gb7 on the 2 again.
    Thanks for that (and the previous post.) I'll try my hand at something later today.
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Hello,

I recently tried it, and I think it is a great software. I was planning to purchase iReal for OSX but Impro-visor changed my mind for the moment (iReal is maybe more valuable for portable devices).

One of the great function is that Impro-visor is able to improvise itself on given chord changes. Have you tried it ? In what purpose do you use it ?

What do you think about using it as ear training exercises ? Or to find some inspiration ?

Michael

User Info Menu

I have used it to make lead sheets, and also to play lead sheets from the "Imaginary Book" that comes with the program. You can also use it to analyze a lead sheet to see which scales work over each section. It will also do an analysis based on the system used in the "Insights to Jazz" book.

The most interesting thing about the program is it's ability to improvise over changes, using given parameters. I think it started as a sort of artificial intelligence experiment. I don't know enough about jazz improvisation to tell you whether these features are useful for learning improvisation. I would be interested in hearing what you all have to say. I am sure that after a brief, cordial discussion you will arrive at a consensus.

Seriously, it is not how Wes learned, so some of you ought to just move along.

There is a Yahoo discussion group for the program that is linked on the Impro-Visor website, where you can ask questions about how to use it. There were a handful of procedures that I had to figure out, and then it was pretty easy.

Bob Keller, the developer, teaches at Harvey Mudd College, and wrote a nice outline on How to Improvise Jazz that would be handy to give to a beginning student.
    Last edited by Jonzo; 08-28-2014 at 09:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzo View Post
    It will also do an analysis based on the system used in the "Insights to Jazz" book.
    I couldn't find what the Insights in Jazz book is. Do you mean the "roadmaps" ?
    ----------
    I also like the way it colors the notes (blacks notes for chord tones, green for color tones, etc.)

For those who are curious about it, let's give an example. We take a lead sheet among the 2500 available (Autumn Leaves to be original) :

The program improvised one chorus in the style of Davis followed by one by Parker :

Of course every sounds, styles and rhythms are changeable. I find it impressive...

Here is a .pdf of the lead sheet :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by michael_bxl; 08-28-2014 at 02:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michael_bxl View Post
    I couldn't find what the Insights in Jazz book is.
    Dropback.co.uk Home

User Info Menu

Hi,

Impro-Visor 8.0 beta is released: https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/

User Info Menu

Hi,

Impro-Visor 8.11 since 30 may 2016.

https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/

User Info Menu

Seems like a cool idea. Price sure is nice
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

I like it!

User Info Menu

Hello,

Impro-Visor 9.1 since 19 june 2017 !

Welcome to Impro-Visor

User Info Menu

I have version 5.16 for Mac. It looks like it's pretty old. I don't use it, but I'd like to or at least have it updated. I don't see an update button in the app. Do I have to just download the full version again?
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 07-24-2017 at 04:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Downloading the latest version is the way to go, this can be found at:

Impro-Visor download | SourceForge.net

Hope this helps.

tlb

User Info Menu

No. I got it. Now I just need to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hi,

Impro-Visor 10 is released!

Welcome to Impro-Visor

how do you access the imaginary book?
    robbro