The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I was wondering if there is free recording software better than audacity on the internet?

Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Reaper isn't free, but it is very reasonably priced and very good software.

User Info Menu

It'll take a bit of poking through them, but two websites dealing with audio and music - they have some free software that might work for you.

KVR: VST Plugins, Audio Units (AU Plugins) & AAX Audio Plugin News, Reviews and Community - plus iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android Audio App News Too (Virtual Instruments & Virtual Effects)

Music Software - Computer Music Resources (Hitsquad)

Kreative's Krystal Audio Engine was one I used several years ago. Its latest incarnation is now Presonus's Studio 1.

User Info Menu

IMO Audacity is a little weak around the GUI, but the functionality is very good and the base program is very stable. I run it under Linux. Perhaps you need to explore expanding the plug in selections?

Perhaps you should tell us exactly what you are trying to do, or what you need to improve on...

User Info Menu

Reaper isnt free.. but after the 60 day trial I was still able to use it despite the nag screen.
    BUT .. I like it enought that I did buy it a couple of weeks ago.

User Info Menu

dumped sonar for reaper a few years ago and never looked back

User Info Menu

I dumped both Pro Tools and Cubase for Reaper. Try it free for the trial period. They have a great, very helpful forum where you get treated like a person (instead of the jerks on the Cubase forum).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    dumped sonar for reaper a few years ago and never looked back
    Me too.

User Info Menu

I've used Krystal Audio Engine. It's worked better for me than Audacity.

User Info Menu

thank you for your replies.

User Info Menu

Presonus has a free version of their Studio One DAW, and if you buy any Presonus interface, you get their 'Artist' version free. If you like it, you can upgrade to the more sophisticated versions, or you can stay with what you've got. One reason I like it is because if you've got their hardware and their software, if you have a problem, they are pretty much committed to fix it. No fingerpointing from DAW software writers to/from interface manufacturers:

PreSonus | Studio One - Compare Versions

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tribeo
    Presonus has a free version of their Studio One DAW, and if you buy any Presonus interface, you get their 'Artist' version free. If you like it, you can upgrade to the more sophisticated versions, or you can stay with what you've got. One reason I like it is because if you've got their hardware and their software, if you have a problem, they are pretty much committed to fix it. No fingerpointing from DAW software writers to/from interface manufacturers:

PreSonus | Studio One - Compare Versions
    it doesn't matter. Their support is horrid. If the drivers are written well, it should work fine in reaper. Reaper blows away studio one and anything else for most applications. If you're doing a lot of midi editing there are better solutions but for audio, i'm not sure anything's better.

User Info Menu

What would reaper have that audacity doesn't?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnny67
    Well written code that is fast and works reliably and without bloatware and is small

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnny67
    These DAW softwares are so deep that one would need to have a ton of knowledge in both softwares to answer that. You could do some research, here's the Reaper site:

REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Protools and Sonar were the software that most commercial recording studios used (perhaps that is still the case). Both of those softwares are expensive.

Reaper is a real bargin and I know of people who have Protools and/or Sonar that have switched to Reaper. Including pros in commercial studios.

With all that said, I think pretty much any popular DAW software will get the job done well... really well. For me to change I'd consider 1) is there a problem with what I'm currently using, 2) are there features that I need/want that my current program doesn't have.

If the answer to both of those is no, then why change? If the answer is yes, then you have a decision.

Not only have folks switched to Reaper from Protools and Sonar, but Reaper is cheaper, they have an awesome liscense agreement (one user, multiple computers), they are actively updating it and keeping it cutting edge (the updates are free for a long, long time), it's a bargain, it has a great forum, and the developers/business owners seem really cool (more Mom and Pop like than big corporation like).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    These DAW softwares are so deep that one would need to have a ton of knowledge in both softwares to answer that. You could do some research, here's the Reaper site:

REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Protools and Sonar were the software that most commercial recording studios used (perhaps that is still the case). Both of those softwares are expensive.

Reaper is a real bargin and I know of people who have Protools and/or Sonar that have switched to Reaper. Including pros in commercial studios.

With all that said, I think pretty much any popular DAW software will get the job done well... really well. For me to change I'd consider 1) is there a problem with what I'm currently using, 2) are there features that I need/want that my current program doesn't have.

If the answer to both of those is no, then why change? If the answer is yes, then you have a decision.

Not only have folks switched to Reaper from Protools and Sonar, but Reaper is cheaper, they have an awesome liscense agreement (one user, multiple computers), they are actively updating it and keeping it cutting edge (the updates are free for a long, long time), it's a bargain, it has a great forum, and the developers/business owners seem really cool (more Mom and Pop like than big corporation like).
    Thank you very much and I guess i do not really need to change.