Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Help Transcribe or Song Surgeon?

I need a recommendation (from experienced users) for which software to buy, Transcribe or Song Surgeon, based on quality, flexibility, and available options that will be reliable to use on a Mac.
    Any and all suggestions are indeed appreciated.

Signing off,

KennyH

Hi, I hadn't heard of either of the applications you mentioned, so just went and had a quick read on the Song Surgeon site. However it occurred to me that the freeware audio editor Audacity has similar functionality to Song Surgeon. I use Audacity to slow songs down for transcription, often using the built in filters to isolate the part I'm interested in. It's available for Mac and could be worth a quick look before you spend any money.

Thank you andrew_k,

I appreciate the suggestion.... I, indeed, will take a look at Audacity.

KennyH

I have Transcribe. It works. But I use Audacity. I just export the track slowed down, or edit down to just the solo if I want. I play it back using VLC Media Player which easily lets me select a section to loop with 2 clicks. IMO it's just easier. Both Audacity and VLC are free and open source, super easy to use. The sound quality of Audacity's speed and pitch shifting is excellent. I'm not limited to a few specific file types like with most slowdown software, I can import lossless files etc. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by teok View Post
    I have Transcribe. It works. But I use Audacity. I just export the track slowed down, or edit down to just the solo if I want. I play it back using VLC Media Player which easily lets me select a section to loop with 2 clicks. IMO it's just easier. Both Audacity and VLC are free and open source, super easy to use. The sound quality of Audacity's speed and pitch shifting is excellent. I'm not limited to a few specific file types like with most slowdown software, I can import lossless files etc. Works for me.
    In audacity, if you select a section and hold shift down as you click play, it loops the section. no need to export.

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
    In audacity, if you select a section and hold shift down as you click play, it loops the section. no need to export.
    True, I just prefer to do it that way because an exported mp3 file plays instantly, no need to import into Audacity each time. I usually just export a 50% & 75% speed version each tune I'm working on and I'm done. Plus, sometimes If I working on a fast solo I'll put the 50% track on my iPod and listen to it repeatedly while I'm out and about.

Very interesting.... another suggestion for trying Audacity.

Thanks Teok!

Transcribe also handles video files. Very useful for checking fingerings

Quote Originally Posted by teok View Post
    Although I also primarily use Audacity for hacking tunes, VLC can also slow down tracks without changing pitch. Not suggesting anyone change their workflow, just mentioning the feature exists in case anyone is interested.

That said, one of the things I like best about using Audacity for this purpose is it's easy to visually select precisely the portion I want to isolate so I won't have superfluous material on either end to annoy me each iteration when the selection is looping.

Once again... thank you for your experienced suggestions.

I'm using Sound Surgeon, because the key change functionality is so much more accurate.

Thanks GuyBoden,

Key change functionality is an interesting feature that matters.

I appreciate the input.

To me huge advantage of Transcribe! is foot-controller integration. After I bought it I cannot imagine transcribing and having to stop and restart loop by hand.

Thanks woland,

For me, I will have to decide between Transcribe! and Song Surgeon based on suggestions, options and quality.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed