The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 73 of 73

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    This whole discussion is kind of meaningless. Vinyl is over.

Like it or not, this is the future.
    Anyone who thinks vinyl is over is out of touch with the market. I get eMail daily from vendors daily offering everything from new music, classic rock and 50s/60s jazz on 180 gram vinyl to state of the art turntables and sound systems.

I'm pretty sure this is the present.
    Regards,
    Jerome

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You completely miss my point, which is: for the vast majority of music listeners today ("audiophiles" excepted!), the analogue versus digital debate is moot.

Very little new content is available on vinyl. Most listeners will never have an opportunity to compare the two.

I'm sorry that you seem to take every post you don't agree with as a personal attack and respond by ridiculing the other person's opinion. You might consider that there are other knowledgable people in the world and that their statements might have some validity.
    If you'll take the time to check the figures you'll see that vinyl sales have been rising for the past few years and continue to increase.

User Info Menu

Figures from the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) show almost 550,000 LPs have been sold so far in 2013.
    It is still a small amount compared to downloads and CD sales, accounting for 0.7% of all albums sold.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24551472

Edit: message was too short?!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Wow, so it's at 2% in USA?

User Info Menu

Very little new content is available on vinyl. Most listeners will never have an opportunity to compare the two.
    I hear you there. Conversely, there are countless jazz gems on vinyl never converted to digital. See youtube post.

If I had a dollar for every time I've been asked to digitize the remainder of Bobby Shew's 'breakfast wine' album, released on a rare label, after I converted the albums main title track 'breakfast wine' to a digital youtube upload, I'd have enough to buy a new archtop.

As evidence to how many jazz gems weren't released on CD, a poster asks:

"I'm looking for this album for many years... Do you have a link for download or buy it in a wav or mp3 version ? Thanks for your answer."

Of course I'd not sell anyone an mp3...but the request is simple evidence of a public in search of vinyl recordings which were never released on CD.

There's no argument here. There's only choice. As a vinyl enthusiast I'm happy to have lived during a time that allowed me to discern the difference between both technologies for my own ears.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 01-28-2014 at 10:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    Sales up 32% since 2012? How many technologies wouldn't mind that growth?

A snippet from the article:

"More broadly, the vinyl boom can be seen as yet another manifestation of the societal fetishization of all things "vintage" and analog, which is pretty clearly a response to digitization, corporitization, globalization, and probably some other izations I'm not thinking of right now."

"A response to digitization, corporitization, globalization, and probably some other izations I'm not thinking about now."

I liked that!

Insert Walmart here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Oh dear me, audiophilia is rearing its febrile head again.
    I don't know about you J-dub, but for me, the digital vs. vinyl debate ended not long after my umpteenth purchase of HD Tracks 192/24Hz "best of digital" in Flac and AIFF files. HD Tracks were some of the best digital I'd ever heard, and yet, these files still couldn't hold a candle to playback via the most basic of vinyl rig setups:

http://www.hdtracks.com/kind-of-blue-stereo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I don't know about you J-dub, but for me, the digital vs. vinyl debate ended not long after my umpteenth purchase of HD Tracks 192/24Hz "best of digital" in Flac and AIFF files. HD Tracks were some of the best digital I'd ever heard, and yet, these files still couldn't hold a candle to playback via the most basic of vinyl rig setups:

http://www.hdtracks.com/kind-of-blue-stereo
    I'd love to hear that comparison.

User Info Menu

"A response to digitization, corporitization, globalization, and probably some other izations I'm not thinking about now."

I liked that!

Insert Walmart here!
    Go to 12:07 and 12:30

User Info Menu

To my ears nothing can touch a good studio quality 2" reel to reel playing at a high tape speed. Vinyl isn't as good. I used to work in audio and had engineers at Sony give me blind tests and I can hear the difference. A bunch of us got tested, a few of us could tell, many couldn't. CDs sound "digital" to me. It isn't just the high end roll off and the dynamic range, because they compensated for that and I could still hear it. But I have friends who couldn't hear the difference so I understand how from their perspective they believe there is none. The best analogy I can give to describe what I hear is how film captures still images that when sped up give the illusion of continuous motion. CDs are the audio equivalent of that. There' s "gaps" in the sound which to me gives it a bit of a harshness or fakenes. Or like going from an MP3 to a lossless format. Whereas analog captures the constant flow, not just snapshots. I really wish they'd chosen a much higher sample and bit rate as the digital standards.

User Info Menu

Moore's Law doesn't apply to the analog world. Analog will never die because artists won't allow it to. Vinyl, cassette, reel and film are here to stay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

User Info Menu

There are no gaps in digital audio.
    Eventhough waveform may look "stairways" on your PC screen, it's not how it arrives to your ear.

If original multitrack was 2" analog, chances are, listening to a mix directly from it will sound better than, at least one, generation up, no matter of the media used. You can not compare apples to oranges. However, with half decent ADC abd DAC and accompaning analog circuit arround them, those chances are rather slim. Not so slim with lathe into vinyl and so on.

User Info Menu

I ran out of space for vinyl 30 years ago, about the same time the record industry abandoned it. Just one shelf of vinyl can weigh hundreds of pounds. Vinyl sure sounds great.

But now it's the 21st century, and I listen to more music than ever because digital is more convenient to use, obtain, and store. High quality digital sounds very good using quality audio gear, and I don't equate it to a fast food mentality in the least, it's just a logical and personal modern choice for many. It may be inferior to vinyl in the same way a Lexus is inferior to a Bentley.

Isn't it crazy that you can store 175 vinyl albums worth of music on a 64gb micro sd card at cd quality?
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 01-29-2014 at 05:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Isn't it crazy that you can store 175 vinyl albums worth of music on a 64gb micro sd card at cd quality?

and in that technology you won't find this - it's only on vinyl, as are countless others never recorded to cd:

I receive these types of comments often from youtube users:

"Heard this on the Radio a few years back....and thanks to YouTube I hunted it down. Recorded this from the radio on my car....caught the last part of the tune..Now I have the whole thing."

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 01-29-2014 at 06:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, since it's on Youtube ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Well, since it's on Youtube ...
    subject to removal at any time

User Info Menu

True, but some of those who listened to it already have it downloaded.

User Info Menu

Is that your channel? Good music there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Is that your channel? Good music there.
    U can always tell the piano player in the house

I've not created an elaborate channel, but I have posted a dozen or so vinyl to digital transfers of out of print items not released on digital...too bad for that Les McCann album too, because to me, next to Cold Duck, it was his best album ever. Bobby Bryant Jr. does some nice soprano work on it too.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 01-29-2014 at 06:31 PM.

User Info Menu

and in that technology you won't find this - it's only on vinyl, as are countless others never recorded to cd:
    I'm not following you, nothing is stopping me from putting vinyl only releases into digital storage, that's part of what the technology allows.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 01-29-2014 at 10:13 PM.

User Info Menu

But if one doesn't own the vinyl in the first place, how does one get the digital copy without stealing? I think that was 2bop's point...some albums can't be obtained by legitimate means in any format other than vinyl.

User Info Menu

I only copy vinyl that I own, but there is a whole can of worms to be opened about out of print vinyl that is unavailable in any format but used. If the artist, label, or publisher doesn't have a legitimate copy of his product available to purchase, is copying it considered stealing? How are you depriving them of revenue if they have no current product on the market?

On the other hand, the music industry has been pushing laws forever to prohibit the sale of used records and cds that are still available new for retail, because it deprives them of royalties just like pirated music does. This shows they acknowledge the difference between available and out of print.

Some interesting stuff to chew on.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 01-30-2014 at 03:50 AM.