The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Anyone here use iGigBook? I've been trying set it up. It's very complicated and nit very user friendly. Of course it doesn't come with any PDFs. You have to load hem yourself. But then they have to match up with indexes provided. If it doesn't match up the book either doesn't load or the table of contents search function pulls up the wrong song.

Cool idea, but it takes a lot of preperation. Anyone use it? Any tips?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Henry. It looks complicated at first but then it quickly becomes straight forward.

First, if you go in the Book List (tab on the lower left of the app), right at the top of that page, it says ** TAP HERE FOR HELP. I suggest that you read all the articles in that section. It should clear things up. IIRC, you may need to be connected to wifi or something to access these articles, but only the very first time you open them​.

Then when you login to http://my.igigbook.com, you can manage which indexes you want in your app. It's also were you find the codes needed to match the indexes of the books.

After you import the pdf in your iPad, they should be in your My Scores (second tab from the left at the bottom of the app). Locatae them and simply rename them with the appropriate code. (To rename a pdf, just press and hold on the name and a small window will pop up.) Once you've renamed the pdf with the right code, the pdf does not appear in your My Scores anymore, but you can access it from the Book List.

I hope it helps. Don't hesitate to ask again if you have more questions.

User Info Menu

I hope you get it to work.

i think it's awesome.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Well I got it to work that far. I've imported several books and renamed them according to code. That's good. But some haven't imported and another's pages don't line up. So I'm figuring its a pita to figure out where it went wrong so I can add the right blank pages in the right spots.

But my main question is this: I have a lot of my own books. My own original music for my own band and others jazz tunes of my own arrangements. Is it a pita to create my own indexes? And I'm always updating charts, adding to the book how problematic is that? It seems that you need to upload your index to their web page. I know it's not uploading your music, but that seems a little insecure. Do I have that right in principle?

I guess some of the PDF books I have aren't right. Anyone care to point me in the direction to get all of the correct ones?
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 09-04-2013 at 04:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Thanks. Well I got it to work that far. I've imported several books and renamed them according to code. That's good. But some haven't imported and another's pages don't line up. So I'm figuring its a pita to figure out where it went wrong so I can add the right blank pages in the right spots.
    When you have a PDF that doesn't line up with an iGigBook index it usually means that the book as pages missing or out of order. When you haven't created the PDF yourself you have no idea about its consistency and there's no substitute for checking the PDF against its own internal index.
    But my main question is this: I have a lot of my own books. My own original music for my own band and others jazz tunes of my own arrangements. Is it a pita to create my own indexes? And I'm always updating charts, adding to the book how problematic is that? It seems that you need to upload your index to their web page. I know it's not uploading your music, but that seems a little insecure. Do I have that right in principle? I guess some of the PDF books I have aren't right. Anyone care to point me in the direction to get all of the correct ones?
    There are two ways to create your own index both require using my.igigbook.com. The iGigBook forum has a how to topic on how to do this: i Gig Book ? View topic - How To Create Your Own Book Index For Your Custom Book If you have a book that you are continually adding charts to you simply add the new index entries and the new pages to the end of the PDF. The list of entries will appear in alphabetical order in the Book List View. The app is not designed for constantly updating a PDF by adding pages in the middle. Eddie Lang, thank you for providing assistance! Having said that, the best place for help is the iGigBook forum. Phil

User Info Menu

Ok well, thanks. It's still isn't very clear to me. I hate to say this but I came here because the iGig forum explanations just seemed complex and unclear. I was hoping to get more user input. I guess that's the place to go.

I have loosely created PDFs done as individual scores from Sibelius, not copied from a book. Or some are individual charts collected. I guess I'm not get a staight answer about whether I can use this app in that way or how to do it or how convoluted it will be to created my own indexes and update them, sometimes from the middle. I get that it wasn't designed to do it that way. But what does that mean? Can I or can't I?

User Info Menu

Ok well, thanks. It's still isn't very clear to me. I hate to say this but I came here because the iGig forum explanations just seemed complex and unclear. I was hoping to get more user input. I guess that's the place to go.

I have loosely created PDFs done as individual scores from Sibelius, not copied from a book. Or some are individual charts collected. I guess I'm not get a staight answer about whether I can use this app in that way or how to do it or how convoluted it will be to created my own indexes and update them, sometimes from the middle. I get that it wasn't designed to do it that way. But what does that mean? Can I or can't I?
    The forum is interactive, you can always log in and ask questions just like you're doing here, the difference being that every user on the iGigBook forum uses iGigBook.

You can use individual scores, 1 page, 2 pages, etc. These items will appear in the My Scores View where you can search them, add them to set lists etc. You do not need to create a single PDF out of these individual scores nor do you need to create an index for them.

If you want to create your own index that by its very nature is going to require work and thought on your part because only you know what the index should be and what PDF it relates to.

User Info Menu

Hi Henry,

i have done exactly what you want to do.

the first thing to do is get your charts saved on your computer as pdf's

Next you want to combine those PDF files into one file making up your "book"

Then you create the index, and bring the book and index into your igig software.

I found the creation of the index to be tedious and cumbersome. I hope in the future that part of the software will be improved.

But when you get all your charts into igig book, it works great.
    Last edited by fep; 09-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I've imported several books and renamed them according to code. That's good. But some haven't imported and another's pages don't line up. So I'm figuring its a pita to figure out where it went wrong so I can add the right blank pages in the right spots.

(...)

I guess some of the PDF books I have aren't right. Anyone care to point me in the direction to get all of the correct ones?
    Henry,

When the pages don't line up: in the Book List, press and hold the name of that book; a little window will pop up and ask you to set the book offset. That should do the trick in most cases.

I have MANY books uploaded in my iGigBook. Only one, I can't remember which one, didn't work at all because the original book contained blank pages and they weren't in the pdf. What I did was insert blank pages in those spots so the page numbers matched and that was it.

But my main question is this: I have a lot of my own books. My own original music for my own band and others jazz tunes of my own arrangements. Is it a pita to create my own indexes? And I'm always updating charts, adding to the book how problematic is that? It seems that you need to upload your index to their web page. I know it's not uploading your music, but that seems a little insecure. Do I have that right in principle?

You can upload each song separately. Name the file by the title of the song. It will be automatically and alphabetically indexed in your My Scores. Then, you can create one or many Gig Set lists (Set List Manager at the bottom right of your iPad and Gig Set Viewer just next to it). They are easy to manage (add/remove songs, order, etc.). A lot less work than maintaining one big master file and index.

Quote Originally Posted by iGigBook
    You can use individual scores, 1 page, 2 pages, etc. These items will appear in the My Scores View where you can search them, add them to set lists etc. You do not need to create a single PDF out of these individual scores nor do you need to create an index for them.

If you want to create your own index that by its very nature is going to require work and thought on your part because only you know what the index should be and what PDF it relates to.

User Info Menu

Cool, I learned something. I'm going to try using the scores section as you both described.

I still hope the creation of the index part of the software will be improved someday. Perhaps a table you can enter into, entering a whole bunch of tunes at once before hitting save. And/or the ability to upload a spreadsheet file.

User Info Menu

Cool! I'm teaching a guitar class now. This is good to hear. Thanks!!

I just installed iGigBoook. My books show up in My Scores, but not in the Book List.

User Info Menu

Hi words&music49, and welcome to the forum.

When you login at my.igigbook.com, the first column is the book index names, and the second one is the book index codes. You need to rename the books in your MyScores with the appropriate code, and then it will appear in your BookList.

Good luck and enjoy! I love this app!

User Info Menu

I'm a new user and enjoying it. I was already a user of the IRealbook program and the default transposable charts.
    I did find it confusing at first but like most new programs it begins to make sense as you use it. Of the fake books I had the Colorado Cookbook and New Realbooks 1,2 and 3 all syncd with the index. My Bill Evans book, not so much but I have not taken the time to revise the offset.

I have not been able to get associated midi tracks to play which seems to be a common problem. For that I still use the IrealBook program.

BTW for those wondering about a IPad mini....I have a Retina and have found the charts readable for typical gig use.

User Info Menu

I just add charts that I create to the iGigBook app via email. I created some Set Lists and add each new pdf to one of the lists. Then I sort the list alphabetically. The songs show up in the Scores.

I always work from the set lists, usually the alphabetized ones, picking out tunes as I go, occasionally I need an ordered list for a specific gig with only the songs we're going to play.

Never tried to create an index.

It's not the most elegant piece of software, but most of the difficulties with iGigBook, to me, have more to do with the awkwardness of transferring files to and from the iPad.

User Info Menu

Yes. I have some PDFs books I've been using for years, but a couple of them are offset to the wrong page numbers and it's a pita to get them right. Maybe it's not but after futzing for a long time I just left it alone. I've asked whether someone had the books I could download so I could upload them for my own but I got no response or help, so I just left it alone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by words&music49
    I just installed iGigBoook. My books show up in My Scores, but not in the Book List.
    We've created a tutorial that walks you through the process of linking a PDF that's in My Scores to an index entry in the Book List view.

i Gig Book ? View topic - New User Super Simple Index Tutorial!