The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I have to practice by myself and was wondering if anyone has an opinion if it is worth purchasing Band in a Box. I already have access to garageband and sibelius. What I want is something that is easy to use and does not take an age to learn or set up.....

Opinions any one?

Steve

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Band in a box and Garageband really serve different purpose IMHO. Garageband is a recording tool, BiaB an accompaniment tool. The two actually work together quite nicely. You can export the backing track into Garageband and record yourself over it, re-arrange etc .... A lot of fun! Despite the fact that BiaB has one of the most backward, old fashioned, clumsy interfaces, I do think it is worth having. It is very powerful and with realtracks it sounds really good.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice Frank.....

Steve

User Info Menu

If you're considering any alternatives, you might also look at irealb. I just bought it last night and already like it a lot. I have no experience with BIAB to compare, but irealb is pretty easy to use and was only $20.

Matt

User Info Menu

I actually find BAnd in a Box very easy to use when you have figured it out. A lot of software these days requires quite a steep learning curve at first, simply because there is so much software can do these days! Sibelius is a great example. That program has so many different options that it has a manual of hundreds of pages! At first it took me a long time to figure out how to do the simplest things because you have to go through so many pages to find exactly what you're looking for. But once you have developed routine then it becomes a lot easier.

I think BAnd in a box is the same way. I have never seen a program where you can create chord progressions this quickly and easily and have so many different (and excellent sounding!) backing. I highly recommend it. I couldn't do without it anymore.

User Info Menu

It really depends on how much money you want to spend.

BIAB is the best I've experienced if you get the utraplus pack or higer versions with lots of realtracks. But at $469 or more...

Irealb is at such a different price point at $11 and as a practicing tool it should get the job done. If you have something that will run it (I have it on an ipad), it's a no brainer to try it first.

User Info Menu

There is a free download called "Impro-Visor" that does what you want. It does some other neat tricks too.

I like IRealB for portability and ease of use. I have even seen cats reading charts off of their iPhones at gigs.

User Info Menu

I use this every day. Love it. Welcome to Impro-Visor Other stuff may be better, but I don't even use this to its potential. And its free.

User Info Menu

After three years of limited time, I finally have the time and situation in which I can set up a backing track and play to it.

I can only talk about BIAB, although I downloaded irealb to my phone and then downloaded a bunch of standards from their website. I just am an older guy that would rather work with a laptop and I have found the features on Band in a Box to be very seductively easy to use.

With BIAB, I am able to insert chords very easily and create a progression. It takes a bunch of different types of chords including many altered chords with multiple altered notes (for instance D7#5b9). As a caveat, it does not seem to take a dim 7 chord, defaulting to a regular diminished triad (there is a discussion on the pgmusic site that discusses this, and I did not spend much time reading it.

To sum up what I like

1) I plug in the chords for just about any chord

2) I can create chord progressions from any of my Jazz instructional material

3) I can choose from many styles, such as swing or bossa nova to play my progression.

4) I can mute any instrument, such as the piano in a Jazz Trio playback, and then practice comping over the progression to jus the bass and drums

5) I can choose a music playback style that has a soloist, and then plug in the chords from my own original songs or my favorite standard in a Jazz Real Book, and then hear how the different playback styles approach soloing over the chords.

6) I can must the soloist and then practice my own improvisation.

7) I can loop the progression to keep replaying

8) I can adjust the tempo to play back at slower speeds, and then speed up as I get better.

9) Oh, and I can export any song I create as a .wav file and save it to my desktop or burn a cd.

The only caveat is that for the real sounding instruments, you have to purchase the Realtracks in a Realpak. I would guess that no single Jazz Realpak will cover all the styles you want. Each Jazz realpack runs approximately $79.00 to $99.00 and are a mixture of different choices such as Bebop Piano Trio, or Fast Bossa Quartet, each with their own assigned instruments.

Despite going to the website and taking the time to listen to the demos of each Jazz Realpak, I was still disappointed to discover that neither the original BAIB 2012 Megapack nor the Jazz Realpak Volume One that I ordered contained an option with a predominantly walking bass. There were some walking bass options in my choices, but not one that walked enough to meet my desires so I am going to wait a long time before I try another Jazz Realpak.

I have spent $300.00 so far and do not regret it. I need the accelerated learning and practice options this baby gives. My own window of opportunity is closing and I know I am on the downhill side of life. I have reached for every aid I could afford and this is one of my best investments.

Now I don't have to rely on backing tracks created by others (or myself using my Boss MicroBR and such).

Hope this helps you with your own personal Jazz guitar quest, or whatever the genres you want to be able to play proficiently.

User Info Menu

Most of the swing jazz styles (maybe all of them) include a walking bass, it's usually the "B" option of the style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel
    I think BAnd in a box is the same way. I have never seen a program where you can create chord progressions this quickly and easily and have so many different (and excellent sounding!) backing. I highly recommend it. I couldn't do without it anymore.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Most of the swing jazz styles (maybe all of them) include a walking bass, it's usually the "B" option of the style.
    Aha!

Thanks, fep.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I finally see how the BAIB real track approaches the walking bass. Like many real Jazz songs that we have listened to, it seems that the walking bass does not really kick in until after the first chorus and the "band" gets going with the soloing portion.

I really like the effect.

So after I play the melody, I start rocking my head and "taking flight" with the solo. On the last pass through the song, it reverts back to a less buy bassline.

At least this is my conclusion after messing around the program for a while and doing some online research.

User Info Menu

If you want it to walk from the beginning, change the default "blue" box on the first bar to "green" by clicking on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    If you want it to walk from the beginning, change the default "blue" box on the first bar to "green" by clicking on it.
    God Bless You, jasaco!

Your name will be passed on in my family from generation to generation for this wonderful deed, and you will be the subject of many songs of praise ad infinitum...

(I really do appreciate it. Through a series of unfortunate events, the user guide that came with BIAB originally was thrown in the trash accidentally.)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I never had a manual either but the Help Menu has a tutorial/index that got me rolling quickly enough when I found myself stumped.

User Info Menu

BIAB also has great customer service via the phone. when really stumped on something i just give them a call.they.re always very nice!

User Info Menu

I'm not a big BIAB fan. I use Aebersolds a lot. iRealB if I really can't find something.
    But, I've been learning some piano lately, and bought myself a nice midi keyboard, an Akai mpk88. Comes with Ableton. I've gotten into writing out tunes myself on Finale, exporting them as Midi, and using Ableton sounds to get a really nice realistic sound. Sometimes I'll even play all the instruments myself rather than export it. It actually gives it a more realistic sound since I can do all the velocities myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtizzle
    I'm not a big BIAB fan. I use Aebersolds a lot. iRealB if I really can't find something.
    But, I've been learning some piano lately, and bought myself a nice midi keyboard, an Akai mpk88. Comes with Ableton. I've gotten into writing out tunes myself on Finale, exporting them as Midi, and using Ableton sounds to get a really nice realistic sound. Sometimes I'll even play all the instruments myself rather than export it. It actually gives it a more realistic sound since I can do all the velocities myself.
    Sounds like you can create a great end product - maybe even worthy of being sold or put on a CD.

But for me, BIAB has been a Godsend.

I am just a guy with way too many responsibilities and who got tired of playing along with a metronome.

I have Bose Speakers that I hook up to my laptop computer. I double click on the some saved BIAB songs, adjust the beats per minute, plug into my Fender Vibrochamp XD, and then I am off!

I plug the chords in from one of the lessons in a given jazz book I own, which enhances my practice experience. To my old tinnitus-damaged ears, BIAB sounds heavenly.

If I want to play the more powerful fender '65 DRRI, I just plug the computer into my small PA system and crank things up high (risking more ear damage, but hey, that's what musicians do, right....?)

Maybe if I ever get as advanced as you, I will see the faults with the sound, tone, and other attributes but for now, it is my best piece of gear.

User Info Menu

Oh BIAB is the best thing to happen to my practicing since buying a guitar. I can put it on 2-5-1s all day long while I work out ideas; my band won't indulge me all day like that! Plus I can change the key and the tempo and the style as many times as I want to (try that with Aebersold tracks!). I have the entire RealBook programmed in BIAB and it's one of the best learning tools on the planet, IMHO.

User Info Menu

I have been using BIAB as a learning tool since 2007 but it really kicked in for me when they released the first "realtracks". I am approaching the age when I won't be able to do the gigs I dearly love, (arthritus problems), but I will still be able to read, write and play the music of my choice at home with BIAB realtracks.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 08-16-2013 at 04:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I am a BIAB fan. I've used it since it was a DOS program.
    Even the early version had the basics that you need using midi styles.
    That is you put in the chords, select the basic midi jazz style and go.
    You have a piano, bass and drums.
    You can change the key and tempo and that's all you need as far as I'm concerned.

I can see where some might want to do more specific things like have a walking bass etc or be more picky about how
    a style should sound.

I haven't used irealb and some of the newer programs but they probably would do the job also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Sounds like you can create a great end product - maybe even worthy of being sold or put on a CD.

But for me, BIAB has been a Godsend.

I am just a guy with way too many responsibilities and who got tired of playing along with a metronome.

I have Bose Speakers that I hook up to my laptop computer. I double click on the some saved BIAB songs, adjust the beats per minute, plug into my Fender Vibrochamp XD, and then I am off!

I plug the chords in from one of the lessons in a given jazz book I own, which enhances my practice experience. To my old tinnitus-damaged ears, BIAB sounds heavenly.

If I want to play the more powerful fender '65 DRRI, I just plug the computer into my small PA system and crank things up high (risking more ear damage, but hey, that's what musicians do, right....?)

Maybe if I ever get as advanced as you, I will see the faults with the sound, tone, and other attributes but for now, it is my best piece of gear.
    I might have the same Bose speakers as you. They're great! I'd also be happy to talk shop with you if you want to get into making your own tracks. It's really interesting and fun, a little more proactive than just typing out chord symbols! I don't think I would do any releasing of it or selling the service, since I just don't have the time to sit on my computer all day and play a midi piano when I'm a guitarist but it's great for my own stuff, especially for my compositions, since I do a lot of stuff that BIAB definitely can't do (changing time signatures, different feels at different parts of the tune, specific voicings, etc) And it's good to demo a track if I'm going to have people play it with me, I can just give them the produced track. Let me know if you ever get interested in it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtizzle
    I might have the same Bose speakers as you. They're great! I'd also be happy to talk shop with you if you want to get into making your own tracks. It's really interesting and fun, a little more proactive than just typing out chord symbols! I don't think I would do any releasing of it or selling the service, since I just don't have the time to sit on my computer all day and play a midi piano when I'm a guitarist but it's great for my own stuff, especially for my compositions, since I do a lot of stuff that BIAB definitely can't do (changing time signatures, different feels at different parts of the tune, specific voicings, etc) And it's good to demo a track if I'm going to have people play it with me, I can just give them the produced track. Let me know if you ever get interested in it.
    BiaB can change time signatures, from bar to bar if that is what you want, also change style as well. As for voicing's, you use closed or open voicing's, or write your own midi part from scratch or generate one and edit the voicing's to what you want/need.