The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

I read thru several threads on Band in a Box, all helpful. I just don't know much about it. I watched some video's on you tube, and it looks pretty involved. I also saw several comments on not getting hung up on all of the features it offers.

I am in need of something to provide some backing tracks, standards from the real book, or the ability to practice over various chord changes.

I am taking lessons, and learning some of the common "jazz standards", and could use something to help me improvise over. Right now, I just have the ability to make/record my own, less than a minute, chord progression using my amp

One of the big things is, can I "install" or somehow have songs from the "Real Book" on the BIAB ? ( otherwise, I assume I would have to "write" in the song or progression myself ) ??

Thanks for any input, Not the greatest with computer, tech stuff,

Musicians Friend list's the 2013 version for approx $ 120-130

Thanks,,,

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi 69CHARGERMD,

I know some of the more techno savvy members will chime in soon.
    In the interim, I have an older version of BIAB.
    No idea what most of the stuff does... doesn't really matter, to me.
    I have the Phillips Music Real Book app, and I know how to select styles and program changes.
    For me, BIAB is a great tool.

At that price, you can't go wrong.

Cheers, Ron

User Info Menu

I have BIAB 2010.5 version - based on my experience I'd recommend it to anyone. I predominantly use the 'real tracks', most often just double bass and drums, really great 'feel' to play over - much easier for me than Abersold's. For a music software program it's very reasonably priced IMO.

Criticisms: one of the most cluttered, silly GUI'S (graphic user interface) I've ever seen. Quite a few bugs and strange behaviour the program chooses to exhibit e.g. sometimes the count-in click is out of time (a lot!), but if I replay the track once or twice it's fine again.

None of the problems I've had with it ever made me wish I hadn't got it - I use it all the time to practice.

Also if you've got an iphone, ipad or android device check out IREALB - an all midi, simplified version of BIAB that's really cheap

Thanks guys, this is what it lists as features....

Features

• Band-in-a-Box 2013
    • RealBand 2013
    • Pro RealCombos: Over 30 RealTracks instruments in 9 bands and RealDrums Set 1.
    • MIDI Styles Sets 0-3 plus 100 assorted: Over 300 MIDI styles total.
    • MIDI Soloist Set 1: Over 300 MIDI styles total.
    • MIDI Melodist Set 1: 100 MIDI Solos in a variety of instruments
    • Loops Set 1: Nature Sounds and Percussion Loops
    • Artist Performance Set 1
    • MIDI SuperTracks Sets 1-3: 46 MIDI styles total.
    • Ships on 1 DVD, or ~4 GB download.

Looks like I should get it, sounds very helpful. Thanks for the comments.
    Ps I have some of the Aebersold play alongs, in fact, I attended his jazz camp last year, going again this year,, just can't get his " 1 , 2, 3, 4, ". Voice lead in at the beginning of each song out of my head. Lol

Last edited by 69CHARGERMD; 03-21-2013 at 10:13 PM.

User Info Menu

That's way more stuff than I have. You'll love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 69CHARGERMD
    I have some of the Aebersold play alongs, in fact, I attended his jazz camp last year, going again this year,, just can't get his " 1 , 2, 3, 4, ". Voice lead in at the beginning of each song out of my head. Lol
    That quite an iconic count-in of Jamie's

Based off that list you'll probably have to buy additional real tracks and real drum sets that are more specific to what you want, but worth it - once you choose you can buy and download from their site - worked fine for me, but the real tracks downloads use lots of memory - quite a few gigabytes

User Info Menu

BiaB is an absolute must-have for anyone into jazz. Even though I ignore 98% of the features, I still feel it was worth the money. I've used it for around 8 years and I can't imagine not having it. It's also very useful for quickly sketching ideas for your own composition, at least the chord changes part. I recommend you consider buying the "megapack" as it contains loads more realtracks & jazz styles than the basic version has. If the basic version is all you can afford, then it will still be worth getting, but spend the extra money for the megapack, you'll be glad you did. (and in that case it will be more like 40+ gigs and ship on a external usb drive).

I use Abersold cds to record, but BiaB is the best for practice due to the flexibility with changing keys / tempo, muting any instrument you want (i.e. you can jam with bass only or whatever). And yes if you look around on the web you can find realbook files for Biab. I found links by joining the yahoo BiaB group a while back. I have over 3600 BiaB jazz and other charts that I d/l from there. I'm sure many people here have realbook BiaB files they'd be willing to share as well.

User Info Menu

I just got it today, from using it for the past few hours, it's very quite useful. Much better than just playing over a metronome. I always knew you could make backing tracks with it, but I didn't really know you could use it to make automated solo's and even chord melody arrangements. Not that i'll be using most of the added features but it's pretty cool you can trade 4's with the computer!

User Info Menu

I concur, BIAB is a great practice tool.

However, you may want to try irealb first if you have an ipad. It's only $7.99 and you can download 1300 jazz standards from their forum. I just use it for the (transposable) chord charts to all those tunes when playing with others, it's definitely worth it just for that.. See how much you actually use backing tracks and then decide if you want to 'upgrade' to BIAB.

User Info Menu

Biab. +1!!!

User Info Menu

BIAB I first used in 1995 on ATARI. I still wait for it to spill out listenable solo.

It's great for to enter progression in it, for practice over it, but I always struggle to find apropriate style.

I find my little Yamaha QY70 much better for automtic backing, although it has much less of styles and all that.

User Info Menu

BIAB is fantastic. I don't use many of the features, but it usually takes less than 5 minutes to enter a Jazz standard, select the style and choose the best instrumentations. I use Real Tracks whenever I can as they sound sooo much better than the midi voices. You can speed up, slow down, transpose and so on extremely easily. I also use it to lift solos - I get the soloist going, which generates a guitar solo in the style of an artist I chose (from the available list). There are usually a couple of bars or a couple of licks that sound fantastic, so I focus on those and learn how to play them. Enriches my vocab.

Some people do extended compositions and arrangements with BIAB - for me, it is basically a tool to practice comping and soloing.

User Info Menu

I like my BIAB, even though a lot of the styles are too cheesy sounding.

I ran across
    recently and really like the softness of the sound.

User Info Menu

BIAB is good, I use it a lot. I also use iRealB though, its an app for iOS/Mac. Does more or less the same, but the sounds and interface is all a bit nicer.

User Info Menu

I couldn't believe how fast you can enter chords, biab seems heavily geared towards jazz musicians, with all of the extra features etc.

it's extremely odd you can't write in a key change mid way through a song!

Especially annoying when you've got it in roman numeral mode!

User Info Menu

The only problem with BIAB is that the computer has all the fun.

Why not get a loop pedal and make your own backing tracks? Get an octave pedal too, and play the basslines.

User Info Menu

BIAB is good but expensive once you get into Realtracks. It adds up to several hundred dollars. If you can swing it (pun intended) then buy it.

As an alternative I agree with the above poster. Take a free app like Audacity or something similar and record your comping chords.

Then practice over your recording.

You can use a drum program or get a drum loop off the web.
    Last edited by Drumbler; 03-22-2013 at 06:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    I couldn't believe how fast you can enter chords, biab seems heavily geared towards jazz musicians, with all of the extra features etc.

it's extremely odd you can't write in a key change mid way through a song!

Especially annoying when you've got it in roman numeral mode!
    Not true, You can change keys in any part of any song you put into BIAB. You can also change tempos, styles, etc..... You need to go through your instruction manual to learn how to do this. BIAB is capable of many other things that most users don't get into because it takes a lot of study to learn all of these things.

wiz

User Info Menu

rond how does one import and use the phillips realbook app in biab? i've downloaded it but can't open or use it with biab. any help would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

srs,

First you need to unzip the file you downloaded then you'll have a new directory containing 536 BiaB files. Save this directory somewhere where you'll remember its location. Next, open BiaB, then go the the "File" menu's "Open.." and find the directory you unzipped in the previous step. You'll see a bunch of song files you can now open.

Thanks guys.

I looked at the BIAB megapack. Looks like it has more real tracks you guys mentioned. This should have all the jazz features ???

Here are the features for the Meagpack

Features

• Band-in-a-Box 2013
    • RealBand 2013
    • Mega RealCombos: Over 160 RealTracks instruments in 36 bands and RealDrums Sets 1-6.
    • MIDI Styles Sets 0-77: All MIDI Styles Sets, over 1500 MIDI styles total.
    • MIDI Soloist Sets 1-11 & 16-20: Over 300 Soloists.
    • MIDI Melodist Sets 1-8: Over 200 Melodists.
    • Loops Set 1: Nature Sounds and Percussion Loops
    • Artist Performance Set 1-3
    • MIDI SuperTracks Sets 1-6: 75 MIDI styles total.
    • Ships on 2 DVDs

I can get this for $ 232

User Info Menu

I just went to the BIAB website and checked out the megapak - you're well covered with all of that. What I have that's not there is the 'real drums set 18, classic jazz and bossa: Terry Clarke', I highly recommend that one, he's a Canadian drummer who's recorded with Jim Hall - 'Jim Hall Live'. The drummer used on the real drums that comes with the megapak is Craig Scott, I have his real drums as well but I prefer the Terry Clarke ones a lot more - you can always buy set 18 for $29 later on if you're interested. My 2cents...

Thank you 3625.

User Info Menu

Have fun!

User Info Menu

What are some Mac alternatives beyond iRealB? Improvisor? Biab is still PC only?